Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Jan 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2619775)   #1
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
Lipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saab-Spyker!

The takeover of Saab by Spyker seems to be imminent.

Spyker have been doing quite well last year in the LMS.

Let's hope we will continue to see them in the series this year

But I do have some questions:

has Saab ever participated at the 24hrs of LeMans?
Maybe we will we see a Spyker racing with a Saab-engine in the future??? Does Saab have an engine that will comply with the rules?
Old 26 Jan 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2619804)   #2
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have, but it was a really long time ago.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2619818)   #3
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1959 Le Mans... Saab 93 Sport
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2619828)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tend to struggle to reconcile the words 'Saab' and 'Sport' in the same sentence....

Having said that, Saab did have a pretty extensive rally history, did it not?
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2619841)   #5
911 GT1
Racer

Germany
911 GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I tend to struggle to reconcile the words 'Saab' and 'Sport' in the same sentence....

Having said that, Saab did have a pretty extensive rally history, did it not?
A lot of rallying from the 50´s up to the early 80´s and Rallycross in the 90´s with Saab 92 - 96, 99 and 9-3.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2619879)   #6
Simon Speichert
Rookie

Simon Speichert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Saab 93 Sport run at Le Mans in 1959 finished 12th overall, 3rd in class and was the last running car to be classified.

A replica of it has run at the Le Mans Classic and was featured in Octane magazine last year (or the year before, I can't remember). It was noted to be the loudest car in the whole event! It's a beautiful little number, grey with red wheels.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2619920)   #7
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
great!

so Saab has some history at Le Mans.

Victor Muller, the CEO of Spyker did mention the motorracing past of Saab in the press-conference this evening.

Having said that,

I have been a visionary you know...

Driving a Saab 9-3 and wearing a Spyker (cap) for the last 3 years...
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2619922)   #8
Lipp
Rookie

Netherlands
Here the link to the Saab that Simon talked about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_lXG2q4xGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3oXmSc_1kY

my god what a noise...

it's a hoot!

Last edited by Lipp; 26 Jan 2010 at 21:02.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2619923)   #9
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Speichert View Post
The Saab 93 Sport run at Le Mans in 1959 finished 12th overall, 3rd in class and was the last running car to be classified.

A replica of it has run at the Le Mans Classic and was featured in Octane magazine last year (or the year before, I can't remember). It was noted to be the loudest car in the whole event! It's a beautiful little number, grey with red wheels.
Yeah, saw that car 2 years ago, it sounds more then a whole feild of Div1 cars taking off!
Old 26 Jan 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2619924)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
They have a car ready to race in touring cars:

Source: TouringCarTimes

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2735
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2746
Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2619982)   #11
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this a 2 stroke? The Le Mans car, not the touring car.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 00:32 (Ref:2620044)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Yes, three cylinder two-stroke. They were pretty cutting edge in two-stroke tuning back then.
Indeed, it is a hoot!
Old 27 Jan 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2620048)   #13
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe we will see SAAB powered Sykers in future then?
Old 27 Jan 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2620069)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saab doesn't have anything of their own. I'm sure a sales deal would include GM producing the engines for a few years, but eventually they would have to start from a clean sheet of paper.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2620194)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Lets look at this without the aid of rose colour specticals, a dutch company selling about 40 cars a year and running up quite substanial losses over the last few years is taking over a swedish firm that makes 1000 times as many cars which has never made a profit this century.

Not exactly a sure fired success, and Saab cars are basically GM products with a different body, how are they going to develope and then find the money to put into product any new products, the Grants from the swedish Government will cover some continued production but for how long.

This deal could spell the end for Spyker, I can see no long term future for Saab, unless huge sums are invested and no one was prepared to do that.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2620226)   #16
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure one of the entry lists for Le Mans (1980?) has a Lamborghini Uracco with a Saab turbo motor in the 'didn't show up or get an entry' - section.

Whether or not the vehicle actually existed is another question entirely...

I really hope Spyker can pull this off. I also hope that the Swedish govt. understands the significance of having TWO premium brands in its territory and does everything it can to help out.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2620293)   #17
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact there is a Saab engined thing apiece on 1979 and 1980 reserve entries. But most of you knew that already!
Old 27 Jan 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2620361)   #18
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't John Bartlett's Bardon-Cosworth C2 (the car originally built as the Arundel, later sold to Bartlett and re-named) appear on entry lists at one point (1987-ish I think) with a 2-litre Saab Turbo engine? I don't think it ever actually appeared at a race in that form though, usually being seen with a DFL
http://truphotography.co.uk/photo_380294.html
Old 28 Jan 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2621199)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Didn't John Bartlett's Bardon-Cosworth C2 (the car originally built as the Arundel, later sold to Bartlett and re-named) appear on entry lists at one point (1987-ish I think) with a 2-litre Saab Turbo engine? I don't think it ever actually appeared at a race in that form though, usually being seen with a DFL
http://truphotography.co.uk/photo_380294.html

The Bardon that ran in '86/'87 at Le Mans definitely had a Cosworth engine.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2621318)   #20
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What next now ??? A Saab GT or Proto at Le Mans in the future ???
Old 29 Jan 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2621858)   #21
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I completely agree with GT6 on this one. Victor Muller hasn´t shown himself as a solid profitmaking manager of the Spyker mark,so I have absolutely no confidence in him making a succes of Saab. Like F1,he´ll use it to mingle with ´the big boys´ and enlarge his personall netwerk and then when things spin out of control,he´ll try to sell all. Including the mark and reputation of our proud little sportscar factory,Spyker...
Old 29 Jan 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2621892)   #22
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...but if it will become a success you will be cheering Victor for what he has done and say that you are proud that a Dutch entrepreneur has made it possible :-)
Old 29 Jan 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2621940)   #23
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Muller may not be a fantastic entrepreneur, but he is a magnificent brand-builder. Something he's done with McGregor, something he's done with Spyker (profit? no. Own identity? Hell yeah), and something I'm positive he'll do again with Saab. Now I only hope he's got a good team of managers sitting there.
Old 4 Feb 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2626182)   #24
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
...but if it will become a success you will be cheering Victor for what he has done and say that you are proud that a Dutch entrepreneur has made it possible :-)
Yes,IF.

Untill now,Spyker has been juggling with loans and financers from all over the world to stay allive and race their cars on a shoestring.
A good friend of mine works at a supplying factory for Spyker(leather interiors) and there they got to know that Muller simply can't be trusted to pay for his stuff. Nowadays they only supply him if he pays up front.

So if you don't mind,I don't have too much faith in the whole venture...
Old 4 Feb 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2626202)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We can all hope that the venture is a success, but experience tells me otherwise and the car market is rather full of "Premium Brands" that were not that long ago ordinary brands. they will not all survive and I can not see anyone providing the levels of cash required to move SAAB up to the reasearch and development spending that the likes of BMW,Jaguar, Audi and Lexus are spending and therefore SAAB and Volvo will both slip down the pecking order of large/medium volume car manufactures until they either vanish or become just a badge on a far eastern model. It is sad but that far more likely than the chance of a recovery in the car market allowing them to sell large numbers of under developed cars at a profit.