Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3813666)   #301
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
........ I imagine it also wasn't absolutely top of the list of things to deal with upon the entering the office on the first Monday morning..........

........... And yet the thing people are most up in arms about appears to be the decision to not hire women to hold some unrequired equipment anymore. ........
Thankyou for reinforcing my point so succinctly.
I agree it can't have been top of the list, yet they've done naff-all else - and then this pops out contemporaneously with the #metoo stuff.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....
Old 7 Apr 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3813670)   #302
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Thankyou for reinforcing my point so succinctly.
I agree it can't have been top of the list, yet they've done naff-all else - and then this pops out contemporaneously with the #metoo stuff.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....
What else do you propose they would've accomplished by this point? Serious question?

They've already planned and partially built an online streaming system, revamped the website, and laid out a roadmap for how they're going to deliver the series to viewers in the future. But that's naff all else right? They should've rebuilt the sport from the ground up by at LEAST Friday, yeah? And included some totty to gawk at too.

Editing out my comment about expecting major changes within 12 months doesn't make it disappear. I think some people have some extremely unrealistic expectations on what could actually be achieved, especially in such a short time. But apparently, the biggest issue is we got rid of a pointless position.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3813697)   #303
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you suggesting they needed to do something? If so that's exactly the point. Instead of doing something useful, they jumped on a bandwagon.

Better to have kept shtum and found someone who knew what they were doing. This lot , apart from Brawn, are a bunch of amateurs.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3813706)   #304
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, I'm suggesting that big things take time, but whilst you're dealing with big things there's no harm in knocking some little things off the list too. No doubt that as new owners, there's a lot of things they want to change - the big one is clearly how F1 deals with its online presence and how it delivers the product to the fans. Unfortunately, that one is going to take years due to development process and contracts that were in place before they arrived.

There is absolutely nothing to stop them from dealing with smaller problems, whilst working on a bigger one. Liberty clearly saw Grid Girls as a problem to deal with (whether or not it is a problem is an opinion of course), so dealt with it. That doesn't mean they aren't doing other things.

So no, I'm not suggesting they "needed to do something". I'm suggesting they've got a lot of things they want done, and this was an easy one to sort pretty quickly whilst other things are being worked on. And I'm suggesting that anyone that thinks you could sort out F1 in 12 months is absolutely deluded. It's not a coincidence that Grid Girls went away at the same time that the Liberty F1 image was rolled out with new music, graphics, logos, branding, websites and TV/Online presence.

I also don't see widespread reporting of sexual assault as a "bandwagon", but each to their own.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3813715)   #305
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All very marketing and totally, as far as the actual problem goes, useless. You have confirmed my suspicions.

As to the sexual assault reference, are you really aware of what you are saying?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3813725)   #306
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
All very marketing and totally, as far as the actual problem goes, useless. You have confirmed my suspicions.
Liberty clearly thought it was the right thing to do, so did it. Now we're in a position where if anyone does anything that can be seen as good, it must be marketing! So now they're in a lose-lose situation. If they don't do anything, they're "a bunch of amateurs" and if they do something, it's just marketing. This is what happens when someone has clearly made up their mind beforehand - everything they do will be a negative, and/or never enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
As to the sexual assault reference, are you really aware of what you are saying?
I was going to ask the same thing. I didn't bring up the #MeToo movement, or the word bandwagon. Linking #MeToo to a "bandwagon" is pretty insulting, really.

Edit: Again, here's the gist of it - Liberty decided that having women as props to hold signs did not fit with their brand image. As a result, they chose not to hire external contractors to fill the now-redundant role. Apparently, the F1 world has lost it's s**t over this.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 7 Apr 2018 at 18:01.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3813729)   #307
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Again all you are saying is "let's do something to get noticed". Typical marketing ploy to cover up for an inability to manage a problem.

There are arguments to cover the #metoo campaign and some are not very palatable. Nonetheless it is an anchor on which a company may wish to attach itself to demonstrate a moral position.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3813733)   #308
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll tell you what, but this debate is far more engaging than F1.

With this much excitement, who needs grid girls?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3813736)   #309
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Sorry Peter, but that's unreasonable. You're deliberately pushing them into a corner where if they do nothing they are "amateurs", and if they do something then it demonstrates their "inability to manage a problem". There is now literally nothing they can do. Even rebuilding their delivery platform and addressing how the content is delivered to fans has been completely ignored - that's just marketing.

Now we've even gone as far as making a moral decision is just marketing. So now, no good decision can ever be made without the argument of "you're just doing that to look good", which is, obviously, ridiculous.

We've now gotten "the right thing to do" down to "you're just marketing". I don't really see where the conversation can go from.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3813737)   #310
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

I'm not taking part in this until such time as the FIA give the grid girls penalties....... I don't consider it F1-relevant until such time as that happens.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3813738)   #311
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

I'll sell you the rights to market it if you want. 50% goes to Peter.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3813742)   #312
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm not taking part in this until such time as the FIA give the grid girls penalties....... I don't consider it F1-relevant until such time as that happens.
A Grid Girl Penalty thread?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3813748)   #313
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As good an idea as the FIA have come up with so far.......
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3813780)   #314
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
..... No doubt that as new owners, there's a lot of things they want to change - the big one is clearly how F1 deals with its online presence and how it delivers the product to the fans. ..........
a) - that's two not one
b) no amount of 'online presence' or 'delivery to the fans' is going to fix anything if the product is sh1te.
If you cannot or will not acknowledge that the 'big one' is to make the product exciting to watch then this discussion is pointless.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3813786)   #315
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
This is silly. A new ownership group takes control. They have 10-20 or more issues they are analyzing, discussing, learning about, putting who they hope are the correct people in place to fix the issues. During this short time, long before they could make any definitive improvements on huge technical issues, an awareness develops in society that was largely ignored or way down the list of what were seen as issues in this major company it took over. As a result of this awareness, a very quick fix and change to an issue that may not have been noticed prior, but is something they feel fits their values that can be implemented without a ton of discussion or technical analyzing is available and won't detract from the rest of the information gathering for the other issues that will for sure be measured over years, not months.

As a result, fans are going crazy pretending this means they are clueless about the other bigger issues, or are mismanaging things because they quickly took care of some low hanging fruit. My mind is melting with this level of discussion...
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3813787)   #316
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you cannot or will not acknowledge that the 'big one' is to make the product exciting to watch then this discussion is pointless.
Well, true in general, but not really related to this discussion! Personally I think of this as a proxy discussion for grid girls in general, not just in F1 (which is, as far as genuine racing spectacle goes, usually rubbish).

But we do appear to have reached a point where one side of the argument is saying "yes, but you're only doing that for cynical reasons" and the other is saying "no I'm not, I'm doing this because I believe it's right". Which pretty much means the meaningful part of the argument is over. It's not new, but it is a shame. Personally, I find the tendency of people to instantly look for the hidden motive behind an ostensibly morality-centric campaign massively depressing. It implies a vision of human impetus that's so self serving I'd be quite happy to see humanity wiped from the face of the earth if I believed it.

Oh well. Back to planning a possible Superkart team for 2019. No chance of grid girls over there anyway, you wouldn't be able to see the actual vehicles behind them.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3813789)   #317
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
a) - that's two not one
b) no amount of 'online presence' or 'delivery to the fans' is going to fix anything if the product is sh1te.
Sigh..... What is your reasoning for thinking that because they addressed an easy fix to a smaller problem, that they don't realize making the product exciting to watch is the biggest and most important problem?
Old 7 Apr 2018, 22:59 (Ref:3813798)   #318
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Sigh..... What is your reasoning for thinking that because they addressed an easy fix to a smaller problem, that they don't realize making the product exciting to watch is the biggest and most important problem?
I suppose Liberty thought dealing with the Grid Girls would be a lot easier, than dealing with the technical problems F1 has, so they went for the Grid Girls first.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3813799)   #319
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I suppose Liberty thought dealing with the Grid Girls would be a lot easier, than dealing with the technical problems F1 has, so they went for the Grid Girls first.
Or simultaneously. It's not like they can't do more than one thing at a time. But yeah, this was an easy one. One quick pen stroke, sign off on no more grid girls, and reinforce your values as a company. Takes quite a bit more pen strokes to figure out technical regulations to make the racing better.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3813803)   #320
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Or simultaneously. It's not like they can't do more than one thing at a time. But yeah, this was an easy one. One quick pen stroke, sign off on no more grid girls, and reinforce your values as a company. Takes quite a bit more pen strokes to figure out technical regulations to make the racing better.
Maybe they can't do more than one thing at a time, or they find it difficult to do more than one thing at a time, in the convoluted world of F1?
Old 8 Apr 2018, 00:11 (Ref:3813807)   #321
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe they can't do more than one thing at a time, or they find it difficult to do more than one thing at a time, in the convoluted world of F1?
Wouldn't you think it far more plausible that the people working on the technical issues involved in improving the racing (problem #1) are different members of the organization than the ones signing off on a solution to the grid girl issue?
Old 8 Apr 2018, 00:20 (Ref:3813808)   #322
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Wouldn't you think it far more plausible that the people working on the technical issues involved in improving the racing (problem #1) are different members of the organization than the ones signing off on a solution to the grid girl issue?
The initial decision comes from the top and those at the top may wish to be involved with those different members of the organization, who are working on the various issues, technical or otherwise.

Don't forget, Liberty have only been doing this for one season.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 07:25 (Ref:3813894)   #323
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Technical regulations are currently locked and and delt with the FIA. I understand what people are saying about the show but it shows a lack of understanding of how the sport works. They've been in charge a year and people want a complete rewrite of the locked in regulations that they aren't fully in charge of? And proof that they are useless at this comes in the form of not hiring grid girls?

That's madness. Sorry but that's ridiclous. Changes like that don't happen overnight. You know what changes can happen overnight? Not rehiring for redundant positions. Anyone using the technical regulation freeze is looking for excuses to call them out on things.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3813928)   #324
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
not my reasoning at all, I was responding to akra, who seems to disagree with you and I over what the biggest issue is.
Also maybe they botched the 'easy fix' too - as they now have two race organisers wanting to openly defy them.
Old 8 Apr 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3813935)   #325
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
You're right in that the biggest problem is the quality of the racing, so I certainly misspoke over what the biggest issue is. However, that doesn't really change anything in regards to the moral decision around grid girls, and certainly doesn't change the fact that you don't work on one problem at a time in a linear fashion. This is just deflection from the actual topic.

We're still pushing this idea that they shouldn't make morally correct decisions because they haven't sorted the locked in technical regulations that they have very little control over. That way madness lies.

Liberty don't make a change: amateurs
Liberty make a change: doing it for marketing
Liberty don't reinvent the worlds most complicated sporting and technical regulations within a couple of months of taking control: inability to manage

They're being put in a lose-lose situation by people who have already made up their minds on what they expect Liberty to do.