Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 1 Mar 2003, 16:40 (Ref:521463)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Media Accreditation for BTCC

Hi all. Wondering if someone in the know could answer a few questions for me.

I currently run a BTCC site, and of course no website would be complete without pictures on it! At the moment, I have been offered photos from a photographer who will manage several rounds this year. He is wondering if I have media accreditation for him to use.

I'm wondering what the processes in gaining this would be. Do I have to write to TOCA/their media team and gain accreditation for this guy, or can he apply for it himself providing he says that his work is for my site? Would I need to write him a note so TOCA can see he's genuine?

Any help much appreciated!
Old 1 Mar 2003, 16:59 (Ref:521474)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Unfortunately I doubt you will be granted media access as a website, Blair. The MSA, Jardine, ToCA and just about everyone else has a policy of 'no websites' when it comes to these things which, although perhaps unfair, is unlikely to change.

Jardine did support a number of applications last year but now they have gone, who knows? Basically the process is simple - your photographer would contact each individual circuit and ask for a 'media accreditation application form' which will be mailed or faxed to them. They complete the form and return it to the individual circuit's press contact before the dealine, along with a letter of authorisation from the editor of the publication (you!) and, ideally, an example of their previous work.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 17:06 (Ref:521480)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought as much. Seems that one of the biggest forms of media doesn't matter to them! Their loss eh...

Second part of your post is up my street I think. That's what I need to tell him to do!

PS - I have a feeling mr postman will be getting a lot of use this year..
Old 1 Mar 2003, 17:28 (Ref:521500)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I think they are simply worried about every man and his dog starting websites just to get free tickets. If you spoke to them and stated that your photographer would be prepared to pay for entry as long as he could sign on once on site it might be looked at more favourably?
Old 1 Mar 2003, 17:45 (Ref:521513)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could try the Octagon Press office in London - contact Carly Farrell. Brands or Silverstone will have her number.
I'm still waiting for a (hopefully positive) answer about my season pass!
Old 1 Mar 2003, 19:18 (Ref:521571)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
I think they are simply worried about every man and his dog starting websites just to get free tickets.

Yeh, realised that about the website thingy, especially with geocities and what have you.

Quote:
If you spoke to them and stated that your photographer would be prepared to pay for entry as long as he could sign on once on site it might be looked at more favourably?
Probably get us somewhere that way. Cheers for advice.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 21:21 (Ref:521666)   #7
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As Craig says...it not as easy as it sounds as there are a good number of guidlines to be followed...or how well you know the press officers! Best thing to do is get a letter from your local papers editor saying that that paper requires you to attend meetings (wherever)and get that to the press officers...that should be the best way.
Old 1 Mar 2003, 23:02 (Ref:521784)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It's got nothing to do with any papers though...:confused:
Old 1 Mar 2003, 23:44 (Ref:521823)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
octagon press office don't exist any more do they? ruth wicks (sp) is the lady to talk to i *believe*

i know one thing with the touring cars and that's they're making it much more difficult to get into the meetings. even local papers will be closely examined. like everyone's said he will at least need some form of printed media accreditation to gain access.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 08:28 (Ref:522128)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bella - the Octagon press office has been moved to Octagon house in London. Rob Allen and Carly Farrell are the people in charge there.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 12:47 (Ref:522299)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found that it was very variable last year with how easy or difficult different circuits were and who knows what Octagon might be like to deal with now. I just want to do photography somehow or other.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 13:20 (Ref:522327)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
You are right about it being variable. Thruxton wouldn't even allow me to sign on --- and I was working for a team!!
Old 6 Mar 2003, 17:19 (Ref:526783)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Just to confirm the press contact for this years BTCC. I have just spoken to Dan Mayo and, according to him, it is Ruth Wicks at Octagon. I'll PM her email address to you, TL.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 09:00 (Ref:527493)   #14
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes its the photographer that earns the accreditation.
To get this you need to prove that your work is published, normally in 'magazines' or 'newspaper' websites, even top ones dont count! There are some very high walls to be scaled to get accreditated. TOCA in the past have run an almost closed shop in you like. A good photographer can also apply to the MSA for accreditation as a motorsport photographer, but this has to be done in Nov/Dec, and they are strict. Again a portfolio of publised work is required! Its catch 22, without accreditation you can't take the pictures, and without the pictures you cant earn the accreditation !!

One of the reasons I have given up on BTCC photography is because of the hassle and the closed shop which makes it impossible to sell perfectly good photos to teams and drivers. Most teams are contracted to one of maybe 3 agencies and a couple of indepentant photographers, these guys also supply the motoring press and have done for years.
You can tell who they are, they all huddle together, and look down their noses at 'freelancers' like myself, Bella, and Carrie.

Many circuits have their own press office, and it's these people you can apply too also... ie. non Octagon controlled circuits!!

Kelvin

Last edited by Kelvin; 7 Mar 2003 at 09:04.