Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Aug 2003, 07:36 (Ref:684045)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a Charade!

Did anyone even get to drive on the circuit at the Historic weekend at Charade near Clermont Ferrand last month?

I read that FORCE withdrew their F1 cars. Hassles about the track not being licensed!

I had entered my car in the Vintage demonstration runs after being told, at the last moment, ie 36 hours before, that we would be running behind a course car with waved yellow flags! Who wants to drive ten hours across France in this heat to drive slowly on a circuit? Not me!

Vintage cars would look ridiculous behind a course car on a hilly circuit because if we can't keep speed up going down hill, and Charade IS hilly, then with our relative lack of power we would be very slow up hill.... all going at the speed of the slowest car.

Consequently our demonstration was withdrawn too and though I did get my entry fee returned (thank you Brian Wilson) I lost my deposit on my accomodation. What about entrants who had already left Britain, or had booked ferry crossings?

It makes me appreciate just how well our events are organised here in GB!

Steve McQueen.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 10:35 (Ref:684150)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, good point Eclectic, although I went to a TGP meeting a year or two ago at Brands when they had forgotten to obtain a licence to use the GP circuit and we had to watch them go round the Indy circuit when all the other races that day ran on the full cicuit. (Haven't forgotten your request for a pic from VSCC Silverstone, by the way!)
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 10 Aug 2003, 12:14 (Ref:684188)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Slightly off topic but Happy Birthday John. 10 August 2003.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 19:47 (Ref:684442)   #4
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy birthday neighbour.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 04:05 (Ref:684681)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitiful... More typical of the effing beaurocrats who dictate to event organizers these days. Everyone knows Clermont-Ferrand is scary as hell, and may well make you physically sick just driving it at speed... But of course, drivers need to be protected from themselves.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 06:49 (Ref:684711)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went and raced in the Gentlemen Drivers race in my Eleven. It was a fantastic circuit but some mindblowing bureaucracy (what else can you expect from the French!). In a 2 hour 10 min race I was coming 4th overall after 1 hour 48 minutes and a drive shaft went - I was gutted!
However for all the bureacracy I would definately go back again!
One of the Lunchtime demonstration runs finished when they stuffed the pace car into a concrete wall. As it was lunch there were NO marshalls or medics at the trackside. During the race it seemed blue flags where at the marshalls discretion (ie if he was looking in the right direction)
Old 11 Aug 2003, 08:10 (Ref:684763)   #7
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just found it apalling that having accepted all the hard work, at his own cost, of Brian wilson's effrorts to find a good grid of VSCC type cars to do demonstration laps, at the very last minute, by email, that we were to follow a course car under yellow flags....

Surely when there are so many other events to go to on any given summer weekend that this is treating those who provide the spectacle as expendable? 'Force' had a similar experience, it cost me NOT to attend a meeting where the final details were not made availible until after we had all spent money on accomodation etc.

The organisers will have to learn that this behaviour is quite unacceptable, it led to the withdrawal of the whole grid!

I'm glad that Simon had such fun, I wish I could have been there enjoying myself too!

Steve McQueen.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:43 (Ref:684854)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
have you dealt on that Alfa yet? I sold mine last week so for the first time in 4 years I am Alfaless!!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 14:18 (Ref:685083)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Slightly off topic but Happy Birthday John. 10 August 2003.
Many thanks, Peter and Carrera