Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2535925)   #1
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rockingham marshal facilities

Hi there,

I was on post with a guy on Saturday who was very uncomplimentary about the facilities at Rockingham. I'm going to be there in a couple of weeks for the BTCC, and wondered if anyone would like to put my mind at ease about it. Is it really as bad as was suggested? Either way, I've booked a hotel for the weekend, so I'm really just interested in things like proximity of posts to toilets, etc.

Thanks
Marc.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2535941)   #2
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will also be there! I'm staying in B&B near by(£35 per night).
Nothing wrong with the facilities there. If fact your guests can go up to the Executive suite. You park your car in the car park and get taken by bus to the inside of the track where you normally sign on.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2535950)   #3
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
£35/night isn't bad. I'll probably look into that option next time when my free hotel nights run out.

It might be a silly question, but is there a dedicated marshal parking area from where we can get transport in?
Old 7 Sep 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2536001)   #4
Jordygirl
Racer

England
Rutland
Jordygirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh boy why does the 'Rock' suffer with all this bad press? There is a dedicated parking area for marshals, just beyond the Media building, and there will 1 if not 2 minibuses to take you to the Inner Paddock for sign-on. These minibuses will also take you out ot post, as there is no parking allowed on the in-field. Toilet facilities have improved 100% this year, thanks to Rockingham listening to marshals comments, and most posts have a nearby portaloo or a 'proper toilet' within easy walking distance (closer than at other tracks I can mention).

All this season, marshals' friends & family have been able to use a hospitality suit on the 2nd floor of the Rock Building, as mentioned earlier, so I imagine that will be available at the BTCC, tea & coffee available and in the warm & dry if it rains (but it won't).

Hope this clears things up.

Linda
Old 7 Sep 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2536056)   #5
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
Thanks for the info, Linda - the main "horror story" I had heard was about the lack of conveniences so that's one less thing to worry about for the small-of-bladder.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2536132)   #6
colincragg
Rookie

England
Melton Mowbray
colincragg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only echo everything Linda has said above. I was on the infield on post 17 Tarzan Hairpin this last weekend with two lady marshals close to me who were quite happy along with me to use the clean Portaloo provided about 50 yards from my post. the mini bus was available to take us back to the paddock for lunch breaks and to my post on the oval for the pickup races and return us back to post 17 afterwards. also to return us back to the car park after the meeting.
The facilities at The Rock are now as good as anywhere else. If it was'nt for people knocking Rockingham, most of which have never been there we would not be so short of marshals for all meeting bar the Touring Cars.

Last edited by colincragg; 7 Sep 2009 at 19:30. Reason: spelling
Old 7 Sep 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2536162)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree with the other posts in that the facilities at Rockingham have improved considerably over the last couple of seasons.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2536249)   #8
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no problems with Rockingham at all. In fact, I think it has the best flag posts of any circuit-there's even holes to put your flags!

There's also a discount in the diner, on production of a club (BMMC BARC etc) membership card plus a reward scheme for marshals leading to track days, hospitality at the Rockingham Rally etc.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2536491)   #9
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I head heard that the toilet facilities had improved this year - so that's good to hear.

Can anyone tell me whether the diner will be open early enough to get brekkie? Particularly on Saturday. I have been to Rockingham before and found the diner was not open early enough to get a sausage bap and then get over to sign on - don't fancy another long morning without breakfast!
Old 8 Sep 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2536497)   #10
Mark Baines
Rookie

Mark Baines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my first time at rockingham too,anyone give me any basic directions to campsite(caravan) and whats it like?
Old 8 Sep 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2536498)   #11
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
I must confess, I've wimped out and booked a hotel - I might cancel the Saturday night and camp - I guess there'll be enough of us to make a great atmosphere in the evening...
Old 8 Sep 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2536509)   #12
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny.traveller View Post
I head heard that the toilet facilities had improved this year - so that's good to hear.

Can anyone tell me whether the diner will be open early enough to get brekkie? Particularly on Saturday. I have been to Rockingham before and found the diner was not open early enough to get a sausage bap and then get over to sign on - don't fancy another long morning without breakfast!

There used to be a transport type "diner" about a mile down the road near the Jet petrol station turning - just up from the Rockingham Elizabeth Hotel & Rugby Club.

Used to be called the "Greedy Pig" but think changed its name - Don't know if it is still in operation
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2536524)   #13
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller View Post
Used to be called the "Greedy Pig" but think changed its name - Don't know if it is still in operation
Don't think it is. Not sure about the diner opening early-it's the other side of the circuit to the sign on garage. There should be a catering van of some sort in the paddock for bacon rolls etc.

As fo camping-the 'official' site is a thin strip of grass next to the outer paddock with enough room for about 10 small tents. I'm guessing something bigger will be provided for BTCC weekend but don't know where. Luckily it's my local circuit so I've got a warm bed for the night

There will probably be more people for this meeting than all the others combined so things may open earlier for breakfast (not done BTCC there before, only clubbies). And if you like it-please come back!! It's a cracking circuit which doesn't deserve the bad reputation that it has.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2536535)   #14
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also to point something out, don't rely on sat nav (if the maps have been updated recently) to get you to the entrance as it may take you on the the new section of dual carriageway to nowhere as was discovered by one of the marshals last Saturday. So if you're coming along the A43 (from the north/east) way to the circuit, at the roundabout where the Morrisons distribution centre is infront of you, follow the signs for all through routes (first exit).

The sign that used to be there for Rockingham is no longer there due to the roadworks for the new dual carriageway.

I think thats clear if not, someone else will explain what i mean in a better way.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2536536)   #15
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Don't think it is. Not sure about the diner opening early-it's the other side of the circuit to the sign on garage. There should be a catering van of some sort in the paddock for bacon rolls etc.

As fo camping-the 'official' site is a thin strip of grass next to the outer paddock with enough room for about 10 small tents. I'm guessing something bigger will be provided for BTCC weekend but don't know where. Luckily it's my local circuit so I've got a warm bed for the night

There will probably be more people for this meeting than all the others combined so things may open earlier for breakfast (not done BTCC there before, only clubbies). And if you like it-please come back!! It's a cracking circuit which doesn't deserve the bad reputation that it has.
What about the Asda on the Corby side of the Circuit - Does it have cafe and does it open early Saturdays ?
Old 8 Sep 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2536628)   #16
Jordygirl
Racer

England
Rutland
Jordygirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all you hungry marshals, here's the local lowdown...... the burger van in the Inner Paddock has been open early for all meetings this year, so I can't see the BTCC being any different, selling the usual fare of bacon/egg/sausauge rolls, tea & coffee. The Asda cafe should be open by 7am, and there is also a new Subway opened at the Elizabeth Hotel/Aldi roundabout, which was open last Saturday, as marshals used it. If you're arriving from the Northampton direction, there is a 24 Hr BP garage with an M&S shop at the A6003 roundabout, before the Rockingham Triangle roundabout. I will do a reccie and see if the old 'Greedy Pig' is still up and running, and get back to you on that one.

Linda
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2536661)   #17
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordygirl View Post
I will do a reccie and see if the old 'Greedy Pig' is still up and running, and get back to you on that one.

Linda
Is that a taste test as well?.

You know who to let know if they sell Jaffa Cakes
Old 8 Sep 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2536672)   #18
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordygirl View Post
For all you hungry marshals, here's the local lowdown...... the burger van in the Inner Paddock has been open early for all meetings this year, so I can't see the BTCC being any different, selling the usual fare of bacon/egg/sausauge rolls, tea & coffee.

Linda
Thats as well Linda, but it's very expensive for what you get to eat, and the coffee is tasteless, at least it was last weekend.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2536687)   #19
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the Dunlop unit be at the meeting ?. Earlier in the year they were providing free drinks
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2536689)   #20
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Will the Dunlop unit be at the meeting ?. Earlier in the year they were providing free drinks
Pretty sure that's only for Dunlop Gt & British weekends
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2536693)   #21
welche2
Racer

United Kingdom
swadlincote
welche2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
been at every btcc meeting so far Ive attended. was at silverstone last btcc meeting so i hope its at rockingham.
if not you can try the vauxhall drives lounge and get free drinks and chocolate bars/crisps and biscuits.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2536736)   #22
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Also to point something out, don't rely on sat nav (if the maps have been updated recently) to get you to the entrance as it may take you on the the new section of dual carriageway to nowhere as was discovered by one of the marshals last Saturday. So if you're coming along the A43 (from the north/east) way to the circuit, at the roundabout where the Morrisons distribution centre is infront of you, follow the signs for all through routes (first exit).

The sign that used to be there for Rockingham is no longer there due to the roadworks for the new dual carriageway.

I think thats clear if not, someone else will explain what i mean in a better way.
Is the SatNav problem down to the setting of the destination or due to the routing?

If it helps, I have uploaded a poi group of motor racing circuits, which includes Rockingham main entrance (and the fish and chip shop we used to use regularly ). (It's a bit of an eclectic mix because I have combined several sources of information, including personal visits.)

If anybody is interested in this, go to POIfriend.com and search for me (PapaJuliet) or "Motor Racing Ciruits". You can download it in any POI format (well, most, anyway). I don't think you have to register to download the group but it is free to register anyway.

I am in the process of adding the GP circuits but it contains most of the normal UK circuits. I can also add any I have missed, on request either through here or poifriend.

PJ
Old 8 Sep 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2536738)   #23
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it was down the setting of the location im not fully aware
Old 8 Sep 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2536740)   #24
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
i think it was down the setting of the location im not fully aware
So try downloading my poi group. If enough people download it, I get a coloured star.

PJ
Old 8 Sep 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2536742)   #25
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
It wasn't me that had the problem, it was another pit marshal.

Apparently it may have been a routing issue according to Dad who spoke to the person on the saturday about it.