Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 May 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3241612)   #1
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe advice

I used to be a regular at Castle Combe in the 80's and 90's and would sit at Quarry in my deckchair.

After a 10+ year absence I'm heading back there this Monday with my daughter who is now 9 and showing an interest in motorsport!

Could I ask for some advice from someone who has been there more recently than me? I've seen it on TV so have seen there is now fencing around the circuit, is Quarry still a grass bank? Do I still need my trusty deckchair? I've never watched from the 'new' chicanes, are they good spectating points?

Any advice on my return to Combe would be much appreciated!
Old 2 May 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3241823)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the circuit is still surrounded by grass banks, although the Quarry bank now features some shallow hardstanding terraces. As such, you may want to think about a deckchair. There are a few debris fences around the circuit, which are mainly are in the places where one would expect them (such as Quarry and Tower).

The two chicanes provide some good viewing with The Esses having a good view also of the exit of Quarry; whilst Bobbies provides additional views of the entry (if the crops in the circuit centre are low enough) and exit of Tower and the run down to Camp.
Old 2 May 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3241892)   #3
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama View Post
I used to be a regular at Castle Combe in the 80's and 90's and would sit at Quarry in my deckchair.

After a 10+ year absence I'm heading back there this Monday with my daughter who is now 9 and showing an interest in motorsport!

Could I ask for some advice from someone who has been there more recently than me? I've seen it on TV so have seen there is now fencing around the circuit, is Quarry still a grass bank? Do I still need my trusty deckchair? I've never watched from the 'new' chicanes, are they good spectating points?

Any advice on my return to Combe would be much appreciated!
Things are far better these days the concrete terrace at Quarry makes a far more comfortable place set your chair down but as u'd expect it still gets very busy there as does the esses personly i've spectated at all the points of the circuit in the 44 years of going there and Quarry just beats em all Tower however follows a close second hope you enjoy your return to Castle Combe
Old 2 May 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3241912)   #4
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was up there today for a test day. Place looks marvellous. As far as fencing is concerned, if like me you dont like looking through it, the fencing ends 3/4 of the way around Quarry and you get a brilliant close up view - but need to be there early before qualifying starts. The elevated embankment from Quarry to Old Paddock gives fantastic views of 90% of the circuit and the terrace at the Esses is good. Crops only just starting to grow so can see right across the circuit. Weather forecast is set fair so get there early cos it will get rammed if the sun is out ! Enjoy !
Old 7 May 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3243920)   #5
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the replies. I took my parents and daughter yesterday and we had a great day. Sunny weather, packed grids and exciting racing, what more could you ask for?

We arrived mid-morning and set up our deckchairs at Quarry (at the end of the corner to avoid the fences). We also wandered up to the chicane for a couple of races. We'll certainly all be heading back again this season!