Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Apr 2015, 11:07 (Ref:3527631)   #26
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is James Bailey from Dunlop.

I’m sorry that I’m a latecomer to the discussion, but I hope that I can address some of the questions on here.

Firstly, I cannot answer questions on specific tyre size availability on the forum. Our dealers are receiving new stock so the situation is constantly improving, so they should be your point of contact for accurate information. However, I can give some context that I hope will help.

We were forced to relocate our production facility in 2014 after our landlord took the decision to sell the site where the CR65 and other historic tyres were made.

We found ourselves in a position that we did not want to be in, and our immediate priority was to put plans in place to minimise the impact on the historic racing world.

During the relocation of our production facility, there was a gap of several months where we could not make tyres. We had worked closely with our dealers to build and manage inventory to cover this period. Clearly, there have been some sizes where demand exceeded our forecast from a year ago. I am sorry for the issues that this caused.

We have restarted production using the original moulds, specification and compound and we have tested tyres on a range of cars. Historic tyres have a very different, largely handmade, manufacturing process to modern tyres and it was important for us to ensure that we retained the same performance and consistency. Testing has shown that we have achieved this.

We are committed to historic racing, and we do not take your loyal custom for granted. I also know that some of you are forced to use, rather than choose Dunlop, because of the regulations. Therefore, I understand the frustrations.
This relocation has been a huge undertaking for us and our goal is to do it perfectly. Clearly, the difference between our forecast and actual demand has caused some shortages and bottlenecks. However, the supply is now back on stream and the situation will improve during the coming months as we build inventory of the full range.

Thankyou.
Old 15 Apr 2015, 11:59 (Ref:3527644)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thank you James. Now how about some historic slicks for us touring car boys?
Old 15 Apr 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3527789)   #28
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to get a reply direct from the source, but I experienced (and know others in the same situation) supply problems prior to 2014.

I nearly bought a set or two back from Daytona back in 2007 as they were half the price compared to the UK but as the US series' did not dictate Dunlop only to be used there was competition from another manufacturer. Having said that I couldn't get my head round the fact that tyres that had been transported all that way were so much cheaper than from my UK dealer who was 5 miles from the factory!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 16 Apr 2015, 06:59 (Ref:3527858)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, well done, James, thank you for clarifying the situation.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 16 Apr 2015, 11:59 (Ref:3527906)   #30
simes43
Racer

simes43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I trust the beneficial exchange rate will be reflected in the UK purchase price?
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3528170)   #31
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!

In the same way a doubling in quantities manufactured in recent years ( if the amount of cars is anything to go by) has ?

If you likened the tyre situation to fuel we'd all be paying £5 a litre for 90 octane gnats water.