Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Sep 2002, 16:36 (Ref:370574)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell Park Tradegy

I've just heard that a driver has been killed at Cadwell Park today and another is seriously injured..

My thoughts go out to the families at this time, and hope that those injured make a good recovery.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 17:16 (Ref:370605)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Deepest sympathy to all those involved in this. What meeting was it?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 18:04 (Ref:370635)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750 MC. In the big sportscar race. First race of the day, the rest of the meeting cancelled.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 20:27 (Ref:370708)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always sad to hear about the death of a driver...
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:10 (Ref:370753)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very sad. I'm not sure what to say because this is becoming more frequent. This is club racing after all. My sincere condolences to the victim's family and a speedy recovery to the injured driver.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:27 (Ref:370760)   #6
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just read on CEEFAX that both drivers were killed. Very sad indeed. My thoughts are with both drivers' family and friends, and with all officals, marshals, medical staff, etc, at Cadwell today plus, of course, all at the 750MC.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:28 (Ref:370761)   #7
f1lloyd
Rookie

f1lloyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To clear things up, it happened at approximately 12.00, and racing was cancelled by 1.30.

On behalf of myself and fellow workers at Cadwell, i'd like to offer sympathy towards the victims family and friends, and hope that the other driver gets well soon.

Unfortunately that makes 3 people that have been killed at Cadwell this season - one in cars, and two bikers. Lets hope that'll be all.
Old 1 Sep 2002, 21:33 (Ref:370767)   #8
f1lloyd
Rookie

Thats 4 people then. I guess that Cadwell is just becoming too small. I hate to say it about the place that i work, but maybe its time the circuit was closed, and the place was given a bit of a safety overhaul. Although i guess there isn't a lot you can do at a place like Cadwell.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 02:16 (Ref:370928)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah jeez!!! This is horrible all around!

Anything done in the name of safety would absolutely ruin Cadwell... But jeez, I don't want drivers/riders dying...:confused:
Old 2 Sep 2002, 07:41 (Ref:371021)   #10
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just returned myself from marshalling at Cadwell Park I too can only add my deapest sypathies to the friends and famillies involved, but please at this very sad time let us have no knee jerk reactions. We should not be looking for blame or talking about closing Cadwell etc, please wait until all the facts are known let there be no witchhunt.
Also let us spare some thought and time to those Marshal's most directly involved and give what help and support we can - Balders
Old 2 Sep 2002, 08:37 (Ref:371034)   #11
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very sad news indeed.

Whereabouts on the circuit was it ?

We are racing there in a couple of weeks time, and must admit to wanting to do the absolute minimum laps I need to anyway.

As a driving test it's great, but it's one of the few circuits you can total your car without even trying too hard.. Mind you, my judgement may be coloured from being taken to Louth General from the circuit before now.

Sincere condolences to all involved.

Stacy
Old 2 Sep 2002, 09:01 (Ref:371052)   #12
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sincerest regrets to the families.

I hate Cadwell mountain track and Mallory. I think safety should be seriously reviewed at both tracks.

What class was the accident in? and what section of the track?
Old 2 Sep 2002, 09:43 (Ref:371063)   #13
Spinner
Racer

Spinner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This taken from the Monoposto Forum,

For anyone who hasn't yet heard, 2 drivers were killed at Cadwell yesterday. I have just received this from a friend who was there:

> Perhaps two thirds of the way through the first race of the day, the first SR
> and GT race, two cobra replicas driven by Tony Clinkard and Stefan Gilboy were
> involved in a huge accident at the end of the start finish straight where they
> were probably doing 130 mph. I was watching from the stand overlooking the
> Mountain and saw one passing the other. Just as they went behind the trees, the
> car on the right of the track started kicking up dust and had a massive impact
> with the barrier there and the car on the left had a similar impact with the
> earth bank on the left.
>
> Emergency team effort quickly concentrated on the driver of the car on the right
> which was worrying. Our fears were confirmed when news came that the driver of
> the car on the left had been killed. The other driver was quickly removed and
> taken by air ambulance from the circuit in an extremely serious condition. I
> haven't heard any further news of his condition.

The second driver died on the way to hospital.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 09:59 (Ref:371072)   #14
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the meeting but did not witness the accident as I was waiting in the assembly area in my car. Definitely no knee jerk reactions required here.
All racing is dangerous, that is part of the reason we do it. It is very sad for everyone who is personally involved and probably very traumatic for the marshalls and rescue/medical teams and definitely not what we want at club meetings, or any come to that. But at the back of our minds (speaking as a driver)we know it can happen, but we believe it won't happen to us.

A couple of observations - the cars racing were very powerful and very fast. It is likely they were doing in excess of 140mph when they crashed. One car broke in half on impact with the bank and the other was destroyed as it rolled.
Cadwell is a narrow track with close banks. These cars are probably too fast for this circuit and probably not sufficiently strong for the sort of speeds they are reaching. They are also heavy, so take a long time to slow down when they go out of control.

Most importantly, closer attention should be paid to the safety built in to the cars themselves.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 10:43 (Ref:371098)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Dear god, not again This is becoming unbearable.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 10:55 (Ref:371110)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very bad indeed. No spectators were in danger I hope? What class were the two bike racers killed earlier in the season competing in? I watched the Superbikes yesterday and thought to myself how do they race cars there... that was before I heard this news. Anyone remember Sennas F3 wreck there?
Old 2 Sep 2002, 12:35 (Ref:371209)   #17
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh so very tragic and sad - as with everybody my sympathies to family, friends, marshalls, rescue crews and organisers. This is so bad for club motorsport. I think Red Dog makes some very valid points, we never believe it will happen to us, I would agree the cars involved were possibly not suited to a circuit such as Cadwell, but you cannot not have a race for that particular formula because some of the classes may be too powerful or fast. This is why most of us have found the MSA scrutineers to be much tighter on safety this year. Cadwell is a tight circuit without much runoff, and that is part of it's nature and has to be taken into consideration by the drivers.
As with Stacy I will also be there in two weeks, it churns you up knowing what happened at the last meeting.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 12:48 (Ref:371222)   #18
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is terrible news, coming in a difficult season for club racing. Cadwell Park is a unique venue, and one I have enjoyed visiting in the past. However, the track is very narrow and run-off areas are limited - and although in my mind suitable as a Motorcycling venue, many of the cars that race on the circuit are large and fast.

My Sympathies to all involved.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 17:37 (Ref:371429)   #19
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been "on-post" at Mallory Park last year, I know just what the marshals concerned are going through. As I've said in other posts here, it was a trying time for me but the strength to carry on came from other marshals. (friends outside motorsport don't quite get it).
I would urge any readers of this that know any of the marshals involved to pick-up the phone and just see if they are OK. Believe you me, it really helps even if it's not admitted at the time.
Obviously my condolences go to the families of the drivers but I must admit that my thoughts now are for those who were at the scene.
If anyone reading this now, or at a later date, ever needs someone to just "unload on", please email me with your phone number and I'll call you straight back. I might not solve anything but I can listen with the experience of having been there, same as unfortunately, too many of us recently.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 20:35 (Ref:371577)   #20
f1lloyd
Rookie

FAO 'Stacy' and 'Tony Harman'...

Though i appreciate your fears, i guess you've got to try and drive like you normally do when you are there in a few weeks. From what i've heard, the passing move was a bit too ambitious, and i guess if your sensible, you're unlikely to have a big accident.

If two cars came together at 130mph at any track, its going to end in a big accident.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 20:51 (Ref:371583)   #21
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very sad but Cadwell and Mallory are both very challenging tracks - particularly Cadwell.
God forbid they alter Cadwell..
Old 2 Sep 2002, 21:25 (Ref:371606)   #22
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to send my sympathies to all those affected, particularly the families and friends of the dead. This is very sad news.
Old 2 Sep 2002, 21:35 (Ref:371616)   #23
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can we say that has not been said already?

Whilst we mourn the loss of the Drivers and extend our sympathies to their families, let us not forget the officials who attended the incident. These guys will have to deal with this for a long time. If any of you need someone to talk to send us a message with your number and we will also give you a call.

As Crazy Stu says, having been through this we may be able to help you come to terms with what happened.

Deepest Sympathies To All,

Tony, Mandy & Alex
Old 5 Sep 2002, 09:22 (Ref:373605)   #24
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too was at Cadwell on Sunday and I can tell you, some of the spectators who saw the accident also looked very shook up. I never realised cars got up to 130/140mph on the start straight. I only presumed they were doing 100mph or so. Condolences to all involved. But please, no knee-jerk reactions.
Old 5 Sep 2002, 21:34 (Ref:374087)   #25
f1lloyd
Rookie

On the subject of spectators, i wish that from time-to-time, when there is a serious accident, the spectators wouldn't stand and watch. I know that it is pretty much human nature to be inquisitive, and want to know whats going on, but if i was on a stretcher being attended to, i wouldn't want to have a load of spectators stood watching.

More than anything, it would be respect for the injured.