Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Jan 2019, 03:25 (Ref:3880801)   #1
BMW_CSL
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
BMW_CSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lmp 1 vs the Sebring lap record

Do you think that the Lmp 1’s will break the Sebring lap record that Audi set the last time they raced there and if so by how much? How much faster will the Lmp 1 lap Sebring than a Dpi? Just curious as to everyone’s thoughts.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3880830)   #2
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
make some quick observations

daytona 2018 pole 1.36 -----> daytona best 2019 lap 1.33.3
laptimes improved about 3%

appling the same rate

sebring 2018 pole 1.47.4 -----> predicted 2019 pole low 1.44

it's not unlikely at all to expect a dpi pole close to audi 2013 pole.

About toyota; I found out that silverstone and sebring share a similiar lap average speed. If toyota manged to qualify in 1.36 at silverstone, I'd expect a 1000miles pole in 1.36-1.37 as well.

Fastest private lmp1 (smp or rebellion) should qualify 2-3 seconds slower. Much faster than dpi of course.... well nothing strange actually, lmp1 have about 100hp more and weight about 100kg less
Old 31 Jan 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3880940)   #3
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
make some quick observations
About toyota; I found out that silverstone and sebring share a similiar lap average speed. If toyota manged to qualify in 1.36 at silverstone, I'd expect a 1000miles pole in 1.36-1.37 as well.

Fastest private lmp1 (smp or rebellion) should qualify 2-3 seconds slower. Much faster than dpi of course.... well nothing strange actually, lmp1 have about 100hp more and weight about 100kg less
I agree about the Toyotas, but the privateers will probably be closer than you've guessed here. The 1 Rebellion was less than 3 tenths off pole in Shanghai. Even though in the rain in the race, the 4WD Toyotas cleared off into the distance, their best laps were less than a second faster than the privateers when the rain stopped and the track started to dry. Toyota's 4WD allowed the drivers to be more confident in the heavier rain. If Sebring is dry, it could be quite a competetive race.
(Just watch me eat my words in 6 weeks.)

Something else to consider is that the WEC qualifying will be at night (track still warm and grippy but the air cool(ish) and dense) while IMSA's will be in the middle of the day.

The speed through Turn 1 will be amazing.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3880942)   #4
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
The speed through Turn 1 will be amazing.
T1, okay ... but i want to see the Toyotas bouncing through T17. Pretty sure they haven't driven over anything like that in the cars' history.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3880945)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The privateers can match Toyota over a single lap pace, but that will still mean the Toyotas win a race by miles. The added torque advantage of the hybrid in traffic is too much to overcome. You cannot balance this sort of stuff.

A few people said this would happen, because we seen it before with LMP2 v DP during the IMSA unification. The DPs were sped up to LMP2 standard, and then the DPs had a huge traffic advantage with the added torque.

Toyota will take pole, and the gap will look small. If the hybrids survive the Sebring bumps, then Toyota will win by a country mile. But I'm still looking forward to the sight of all this!
Old 31 Jan 2019, 21:59 (Ref:3880994)   #6
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
T1, okay ... but i want to see the Toyotas bouncing through T17. Pretty sure they haven't driven over anything like that in the cars' history.
Iirc, they'll have a pre-race test there soon. And while not as bumpy as Sebring, they have ran on some tracks in Europe where it's bumpy.

I think the race is up for grabs with it being a brand new venue for almost all the prototype teams. Lap records will fall surely and what matters the most is the tires. I think 1:37 is easily achievable for Toyota and the other lmp1's. 1:43's maybe for the DPi's. What I want to see is how fast the race laps are for wec's lmp2's vs the DPi's. That might give us an idea of whether the separation for dpi from lmp2 was actually because of pace or because guys like Cadillac (GM) wanted it.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 04:06 (Ref:3881041)   #7
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I'll let you know how it looks okay?!