Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 May 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2685601)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Modern Cars at Historic Meetings

What do people feel about modern series racing at the bigger historic meetings? Fiat Arbaths at the Silverstone Classic for example. The Knockhill classic speed fair has Mini Coopers and Formula Fords joining some good races for period cars.
I assume in the case of the Fiats, (who are also doing things like Super Bikes etc) they are paying handsomely to perform in front of bigger audiences that they would get at other meetings but many "historic" enthusiasts may see their race as a good time to go to the loo/bar/cafe/look round the paddock.
Old 6 May 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2685716)   #2
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. Time for me to look around the pits and buy a pint/have a fag. Last year at Silverstone Classic I have to admit I disappeared when the modern Porsches and modded Minis came out, as amazing as some of the early 90s highly modified 911s looked. And I'm not bothered about watching 2 year old Porsche Cup cars.

Personally, I'm there to watch old stuff. I guess its a commercial decision, but I doesn't work for me. Still, gives me time for a break I 'spose.
Old 6 May 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2685720)   #3
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't bother me really, my interest spans pre-war right up to the present day. I don't so much like seeing the weekend professionals turn up but if it's proper clubbie racers I'm all for it. As long as it's one or two races and not the whole meeting...
Old 7 May 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2685816)   #4
pieterbakker
Racer

European Union
Zandvoort (NL)
pieterbakker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Coincidentelly there is a row going on between a French "modern" series organizer and some "historic" event organizers.

The event organizers don t want to give way to the series organizer, who is pretty ****ed off.

I am not sure, but modern series are often not more than a spectacle, whereas historic classes are still racing.

Enjoy,

Old 7 May 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2685835)   #5
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a spectator I admit that I head off for beer or lunch, but I guess it needs to be kept in mind that an early 90s 911 or Touring car, while "modern" to some of us, is to younger folks a 20+ year old piece of kit that may be as old as they are...

If the organizers need these modern series in order to fill gaps and make money that's fair enough, but if it's at the expense of other "more historic" series that might generate just as much interest/income then I think it's a pity.

I'd imagine that the increase in interest in the more modern stuff would hopefully create splintering off into new events/series eventually, which in theory is good for everyone?
Old 7 May 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2685847)   #6
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
I don't mid the old BTCC cars etc but the Fiats, Mini Coopers and Formula Fords are "current".
Old 7 May 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2685852)   #7
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokystove View Post
As a spectator I admit that I head off for beer or lunch, but I guess it needs to be kept in mind that an early 90s 911 or Touring car, while "modern" to some of us, is to younger folks a 20+ year old piece of kit that may be as old as they are...
Yep, I agree with you completely. Just my personal preference. Although the 911s I spoke of were, typically, a lot younger than early 90s.
Old 7 May 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2685908)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a trader, I'm glad the organisers can't please all the people all the time, gives me more potential customers circulating. If you were staring at the track all day it would be a disaster!
Old 7 May 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2685938)   #9
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You see! There is always another perspective.
Old 7 May 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2685977)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
We've got the Formula Palmer Audi circus with us at Brands this weekend....can't say I have any interest in them, really - and when we've shared a meet with them before I was definitely ticked off with their attitude that we were a nuisance....had some of the pit crews rolling an FPA car out of the pit garage when we were mid-race and about to have a pit-stop.....
Old 7 May 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2686267)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view, it depends somewhat on the meeting. If it is a 'flagship' historic event, such as the Silverstone Classic then track time should be devoted to genuine historic races and not those for modern catergories, such as Porsches. For club events, then I feel that a mixture of races generally makes for a more interesting meeting and in my view, this weekends BARC meeting at Silverstone and CSCC event at Brands are good examples of this.
Old 7 May 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2686283)   #12
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you look at the Silverstone Classic website there is no mention of the new Fiat 500's.
Old 8 May 2010, 04:53 (Ref:2686371)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
If you look at the Silverstone Classic website there is no mention of the new Fiat 500's.

And yet there was a bunch of them complete with 'Trofeo' truck at Classic press do on Wednesday!
Old 8 May 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2686388)   #14
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
And yet there was a bunch of them complete with 'Trofeo' truck at Classic press do on Wednesday!
That is not good news, a few weeks ago they were on the GP circuit, there was not many of them and with lap times of 2'10" they were really boring.
Old 8 May 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2686595)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
They're being used for the celebrity race on Friday evening so we can all get off our high horses!!! Should be fun to watch.

Unless you'd rather see the celebs let loose in historics of course, could create an opening for a group C grid
Old 8 May 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2686644)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am with Colin here - let us not forget celeb races were around in period.... as for Group C I presume they will be in the Z list class!
Old 10 May 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2687956)   #17
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Well to be fair to the FPA circus at CSCC Brands this weekend they were well-behaved in the pits, at least as far as we were concerned......mind you, on track was a different matter - I believe four red flags during qualifying, and at least two safety car outings and a red flag in their first race......

I think there "may" have been a stern talking to after that, because the second race was more or less without incident, I think...Dunno about the third...........oh - from the lap chart looks like on 5-lap safety car period....

Brian George and Joyce Swan in the Safety Car did more laps yesterday than most race drivers, I reckon.......
Old 10 May 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2688253)   #18
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Well to be fair to the FPA circus at CSCC Brands this weekend they were well-behaved in the pits, at least as far as we were concerned......mind you, on track was a different matter - I believe four red flags during qualifying, and at least two safety car outings and a red flag in their first race......

I think there "may" have been a stern talking to after that, because the second race was more or less without incident, I think...Dunno about the third...........oh - from the lap chart looks like on 5-lap safety car period....

Brian George and Joyce Swan in the Safety Car did more laps yesterday than most race drivers, I reckon.......
You should have seen us on Saturday -we used over half a tank of fuel. We spent more time on track than on standby! It was very wet & slippery 'tho.
Old 13 May 2010, 04:11 (Ref:2689551)   #19
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on post 6 on Saturday, if I was spectating I would have probably gone for a coffee whilst the FPA were on track, they're not really my cup of tea.
Big cats and Caterhams duelling it out, not to mention the rest of the superb cars giving it their all in the wet made it a struggle to watch the track and not the racing.
Big thumbs up to all the CSCC racers.
Old 13 May 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2689713)   #20
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday was a red letter day for the Jag Enthusiasts Club - Jaguar Landrover CEO Dr. Ralf Speth was there to watch and Jonathan Palmer, watching from the bank, singled out Kevin Doyle (black XJ12) for praise having watched his battle with the Caterham. Good stuff!
Old 13 May 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2689863)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like we (CTCRC) are getting stuck with two 40 minute races for half a dozen Chevron GR8's again at Brands like we were at Silverstone last week, how bloody boring for everyone, just why do they do it?
Old 16 May 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2691670)   #22
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
it may well be that they "buy" a grid or race time. It's quite common now with series. In most circumstances it is good in that if the series is well supported they get a cheaper entry fee but there are cases I suspect where someone is putting up the money as the number of entries would not make the race viable.
Old 16 May 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2691707)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Saturday was a red letter day for the Jag Enthusiasts Club - Jaguar Landrover CEO Dr. Ralf Speth was there to watch and Jonathan Palmer, watching from the bank, singled out Kevin Doyle (black XJ12) for praise having watched his battle with the Caterham. Good stuff!
Yes and it's certainly paid dividends for the JEC series.
Old 16 May 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2691903)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Looks like we (CTCRC) are getting stuck with two 40 minute races for half a dozen Chevron GR8's again at Brands like we were at Silverstone last week, how bloody boring for everyone, just why do they do it?
there's a flip side to everything . . . . if it makes a full weekends racing and cheaper for all , and we get a double header etc then its a good thing . . . . . and Arthur loves the camper van so its a winner for me!

I wonder why we keep a house sometimes, he spends more time in there and his shed!
Old 17 May 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2692368)   #25
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat off thread but I am so impressed that you got Arthur his own shed, this nation was made great by men in sheds! What a fabulous start for a boy.