Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Dec 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3869274)   #1
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radio Times

I just found out something I never knew or if I did I'd forgotten... I was flicking through an old edition of the Radio Times (Online) 16th July 1983
and the British Grand Prix was held on a Saturday ... was this a regular occurance... why was it held on a Saturday ?
Old 10 Dec 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3869299)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarvell View Post
I just found out something I never knew or if I did I'd forgotten... I was flicking through an old edition of the Radio Times (Online) 16th July 1983
and the British Grand Prix was held on a Saturday ... was this a regular occurance... why was it held on a Saturday ?
It was due to limitations on the use of Silverstone on Sundays, as the Brands Hatch races took place on Sundays. I'm not sure what changed after 1983, but the 1985 race took place on the now more conventional Sunday.

Even now, Silverstone still has restrictions on Sunday usage - there is a cessation of track activity for about 20 minutes to allow the church bells to be rung.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 22:55 (Ref:3869307)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a common thing. I always remember the 'Church Break' at Thruxton, which was my local circuit.
Old 10 Dec 2018, 23:22 (Ref:3869313)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in the 60s, motor racing was not permitted at Oulton Park on a Sunday, either. It was a real pain for us to have to prep the car after work on a Friday evening before the long drive up there from London, just in time to sign on and go for scrutineering.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3869394)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The last F1 race to be held on Saturday was the 1985 SA GP. Don't know why South Africa had their race on a Saturday?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3869473)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The last F1 race to be held on Saturday was the 1985 SA GP. Don't know why South Africa had their race on a Saturday?
Think it was for similar religious reasons.was scrapped altogether from1986 until revived for 2 years to replace the USA in 92-93. Saudia Arabia is racing this coming Saturday
Old 11 Dec 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3869532)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it was scrapped in 86 because of growing political pressure to withdraw due to apartheid
Old 12 Dec 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3869598)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't know why South Africa had their race on a Saturday?[/QUOTE]

SA had races on a Friday & a Monday as well in the 60's. Usually it was New Years Day.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3869688)   #9
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep-and Britain had F1;F2 F5000 races on Good Friday & Easter Monday 1964 I remember going to F1 races on saturdays at Snetterton;Goodwood(monday);Aintreel;Silverstone before the GP at Brands Hatch.

Last edited by Rob29; 12 Dec 2018 at 15:20. Reason: typing error
Old 12 Dec 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3869708)   #10
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
It was due to limitations on the use of Silverstone on Sundays, as the Brands Hatch races took place on Sundays. I'm not sure what changed after 1983, but the 1985 race took place on the now more conventional Sunday.

Even now, Silverstone still has restrictions on Sunday usage - there is a cessation of track activity for about 20 minutes to allow the church bells to be rung.

Brands races could be on Saturdays too-my first GP there was in 1972 was a Sat, but my last , in 1986 on a Sunday.

Earlier this year I noticed that the clueless bint who writes The Times F1 reports mentioning there had never been a Saturday race in GP history
Old 12 Dec 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3869714)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Brands races could be on Saturdays too-my first GP there was in 1972 was a Sat, but my last , in 1986 on a Sunday.

Earlier this year I noticed that the clueless bint who writes The Times F1 reports mentioning there had never been a Saturday race in GP history
Just as bad as the equally clueless reporter for Sky TV who thinks F1 started in 1950 .I think only yesterday some idiot said the Indy 500 used to be an F1 race
Old 12 Dec 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3869727)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, it counted for the World Championship for a while, so he wasn't entirely wide of the mark......
Old 12 Dec 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3869731)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

F1 started in 1947. Gp racing started in 1906
Old 12 Dec 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3869764)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The first GP was on a Tuesday and a Wednesday.

I’ve driven the circuit too. Although not back in 1906.
Old 12 Dec 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3869784)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I remember your exploits - how long ago was that now?
Old 12 Dec 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3869787)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crikey. I’m not sure, a good five or so years ago.

Edit: it was.

So I started the race on a Friday 107 years too late.

Last edited by Adam43; 12 Dec 2018 at 22:25.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 07:36 (Ref:3869831)   #17
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
So..similar to Alonso's McLaren Honda then, based on its 2017 reliability....
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3869881)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, it counted for the World Championship for a while, so he wasn't entirely wide of the mark......
Way of the mark-not drivers every scored a championship point and in the 6-10 F1 or F2 races that counted 1950-60
Old 13 Dec 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3870006)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Way of the mark-not drivers every scored a championship point and in the 6-10 F1 or F2 races that counted 1950-60
Sorry, run that past me again? Are you saying that what I wrote isn't correct?
Old 14 Dec 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3870238)   #20
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the replies, interesting and what I half expected... of interest from that weekend I found a recording of a Radio 1 outside broadcast on the Friday night by Andy Peebles which included interviews with Derek Warwick and Murray Walker.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3870514)   #21
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think nearly all UK Grands Prix were held on Saturdays up until the early 1980s.
Similarly all league soccer matches, rugby, horse racing, first class cricket, etc. were also held on Saturdays and virtually never on Sundays. Come to think of it shops and supermarkets didn't open on Sundays - only news agents, sweet sops and (some) petrol stations.
All changed in the late 70s/early 80s.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 03:01 (Ref:3870613)   #22
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Just as bad as the equally clueless reporter for Sky TV who thinks F1 started in 1950 .I think only yesterday some idiot said the Indy 500 used to be an F1 race
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
1950-1960, to be exact.

Quote:
Huh???

A little evening delight, eh...?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
F1 started in 1947. Gp racing started in 1906
So true, but the WDC started in 1950 (and the WCC in '58). Maybe that's what the presenter meant...

Last edited by jimclark; 16 Dec 2018 at 03:26.

jimclark
Old 16 Dec 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3870634)   #23
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
A little evening delight, eh...?

On rethink, apparently morning delight, eh?

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
So true, but the WDC started in 1950 (and the WCC in '58). Maybe that's what the presenter meant...
Also on rethink, maybe that's what the presenter actually stated....

jimclark
Old 16 Dec 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3870674)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you want to get really pedantic (which I think is what we're all doing here ) then you could argue Formula 1 didn't really exist until 1950. The non-championship events from 46-49 were using the agreed-upon regulations, but it never had a set name. Formula 1, Formula A, etc. It was only when Formula 3 came along in 1950 that F1 and F2 got their set names.

I don't think it's wrong to say F1 started in 1950. It's pretty obvious what is meant.

And it was certainly part of the F1 World Championship. Whether drivers scored a point or not doesn't matter -

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ce-result.html
Old 17 Dec 2018, 04:15 (Ref:3870763)   #25
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
And it was certainly part of the F1 World Championship. Whether drivers scored a point or not doesn't matter -

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ce-result.html
More betterer...
http://www.statsf1.com/en/grands-prix.aspx
and
http://www.statsf1.com/en/grand-prix-indianapolis.aspx

jimclark