Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 21 Feb 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2134246)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR lays the smack down.

Several penalties have been announced by NASCAR today.

On the Cup side, Robby Gordon has been docked 100 owner/driver points, had his crew chief suspended for six races, fined $100,1000 and put on probation for the season. You may remember he ran an unapproved nose on his Dodge Charger.

The Nationwide Series #5 JR Motorsports car of Dale Jr. has been docked 50 points, had the crew chief suspended for six races, fined $25,000 and put on probation for the year. This for fiddling with the rear wing after practice.

Another two Nationwide teams have had heavy penalties for oil reservoir tanks not being fastened properly.

And two truck teams have had penalties for technical infractions found pre-race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65235
Old 21 Feb 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2134252)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon is appealing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Gordon
"This was an innocent mistake made by someone not even on my team. They accidentally supplied us the new Dodge noses that NASCAR hasn't yet approved because of what amounted to a clerical error. It was discovered during technical inspection and corrected before the race. It was not even close to being an intent to create some competitive advantage, and the mistake was not even made by my team. This penalty is way out of proportion when you compare it what happened last year when a team was penalized 100 points for adding a substance to the fuel, or when a team deliberately changed the bodies of the COT. To penalize my team the same amount when we didn't even make the mistake, and the mistake was nothing more than inadvertent human error by someone else is just not fair. Other teams who have had similar issues to what happened with the nose on my car were only penalized 25 points. I hope that NASCAR can reconsider when they have all the facts. In the meantime, we have no choice but to appeal this penalty. We started the season off on a high note with a top 10 finish at Daytona and we look forward to continuing that at California and Las Vegas."
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2134595)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon should appeal. He got screwed. A 100 point penalty is pretty stiff for what happened. Nascar sticks it to Robby every chance they get. Hey, Dodge gave him the cover to use and it was discovered "before' the race.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2138122)   #4
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Gordon is appealing:
No, he is quite the opposite...
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2138709)   #5
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Sparky7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a matter of opinion and taste.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2134603)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

He does appear to have been exceptionally hard done by here, I have to say.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:40 (Ref:2134612)   #7
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously, that nose is not going to be approved!
Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:57 (Ref:2134696)   #8
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere that Marty Smith on NascarNow reported that Robby Gordon talked to Nascar officials who urged him to appeal the penalty.

WTH, why would Nascar officials urge him to appeal.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 04:06 (Ref:2134708)   #9
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
I read somewhere that Marty Smith on NascarNow reported that Robby Gordon talked to Nascar officials who urged him to appeal the penalty.

WTH, why would Nascar officials urge him to appeal.
John Darby didn't seem to think it was a big deal since there was no competitive advantage and the car fit the claw template. Obviously Darby was overruled by the higher ups who chose to be vindictive.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 22 Feb 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2135103)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky7
John Darby didn't seem to think it was a big deal since there was no competitive advantage and the car fit the claw template. Obviously Darby was overruled by the higher ups who chose to be vindictive.
It would be great if Robby appealed and the penalty was overturned.

btw sparky, you gotta get your post count up.
You can even start a topic if you like, when you like, and about what you like.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2135107)   #11
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are some harsh penalties there, seem pretty excessive, especially putting Gordon and Jr. on probation for the whole season. And with Robby Gordon, afaik he works with what GEM give him so that's not really his fault.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 23 Feb 2008, 05:21 (Ref:2135534)   #12
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
It would be great if Robby appealed and the penalty was overturned.

btw sparky, you gotta get your post count up.
You can even start a topic if you like, when you like, and about what you like.
I know, muggles. The past two weeks have been crazy around here with my daughter moving. Once we help her move and she gets settled I'll have more time to devote to my online activities.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 24 Feb 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2136379)   #13
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon To Irl/Gordon Temper Tantrum/NASCAR freaks out etc thread.

Robby Gordon says the future of his Sprint Cup organization could be in jeopardy if the penalties NASCAR levied after the Daytona 500 stand up under appeal.Gordon was fined 100 driver and 100 owner points for having an unapproved nose cover on his Dodge Charger. Crew chief Frank Kerr was fined $100,000 and suspended for six races.
The penalties have been placed on hold until the National Stock Car Commission hears the appeal, which means Gordon remains ninth in points after his eighth-place finish at Daytona and Kerr will remain on his pit box.
Had Gordon not appealed he would be 41st in points heading into Sunday’s race at California Speedway. If he couldn’t work his way back into the top 35 over the next four races — the first five races are set on last year’s points — he would be in a position of having to qualify for races.
“A hundred could be life-threatening to our team,” Gordon said before Friday’s first practice. “If this sticks I don’t know what our plan will be. I think [IRL and CART are] back together, and I think I can drive one of those cars.”

I'm sure Nascar are really bothered.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2136456)   #14
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Make it $200 grand then and make sure he goes!!!!
Old 24 Feb 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2136633)   #15
jonesi
Rookie

jonesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Make it $200 grand then and make sure he goes!!!!
It's not the money, it's the points and top 35 after the fifth race.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 05:34 (Ref:2138120)   #16
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin88
Robby Gordon says the future of his Sprint Cup organization could be in jeopardy if the penalties NASCAR levied after the Daytona 500 stand up under appeal.Gordon was fined 100 driver and 100 owner points for having an unapproved nose cover on his Dodge Charger. Crew chief Frank Kerr was fined $100,000 and suspended for six races.
The penalties have been placed on hold until the National Stock Car Commission hears the appeal, which means Gordon remains ninth in points after his eighth-place finish at Daytona and Kerr will remain on his pit box.
Had Gordon not appealed he would be 41st in points heading into Sunday’s race at California Speedway. If he couldn’t work his way back into the top 35 over the next four races — the first five races are set on last year’s points — he would be in a position of having to qualify for races.
“A hundred could be life-threatening to our team,” Gordon said before Friday’s first practice. “If this sticks I don’t know what our plan will be. I think [IRL and CART are] back together, and I think I can drive one of those cars.”

I'm sure Nascar are really bothered.
Robby has not had his points reinstated because he filed an appeal. All he got back was his CC until the appeal is heard. He has argued that the points should go back temporarily but that's not how NASCAR operates.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 26 Feb 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2138180)   #17
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky7
Robby has not had his points reinstated because he filed an appeal. All he got back was his CC until the appeal is heard. He has argued that the points should go back temporarily but that's not how NASCAR operates.
My bad, I just quoted what it said in the press release.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2138447)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Robby is back in the top 35 after The California race. Kudos to him for a good race. Now, hopefully the appeal will also rescind the 100 point penalty.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2138763)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hehehe.

You've got to say though, Robby is doing a smart job this year now he has a competitive car underneath him.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2138822)   #20
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll probably go to Toyota next year anyway...... '06 - Chevy (with a competitive car), '07 - Ford, '08 - Dodge (with competitive car).

Seems like he's trying them all out to see which one's best???
Old 27 Feb 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2138920)   #21
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
I don't know. He seems to like that Dodge and he definitely likes the COT.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 18 Dec 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2357379)   #22
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko44
He'll probably go to Toyota next year anyway...... '06 - Chevy (with a competitive car), '07 - Ford, '08 - Dodge (with competitive car).

Seems like he's trying them all out to see which one's best???
Well what do you know??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
Old 18 Dec 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2357467)   #23
slick42
Racer

England
Selby, North Yorkshire
slick42 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think alot of people saw this coming. For a single car team, theres much more single car support from TRD than Dodge, Ford or even Chevy.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 07:34 (Ref:2138982)   #24
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
It was weird he left Chevy coz he was having his best season as a single-car owner-driver.... was getting top-10's on the cookie-cutter tracks.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2145375)   #25
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great news for Robby: He gets his points back.