Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:20 (Ref:3960960)   #676
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John I ignore if your planed a visit to one of the most relaxed and sympathetic classic show in Reims said Salon Champenois du véhicule d'époque, but because of the coronatrucmuche dates have changed, 7 March becomes 9 May. Even the sales of a famous mexican beer are going down. Crazy planet!
No, no plans to do Reims but will be going to Antwerp this weekend.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3960962)   #677
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

I wonder what surprise Alfa Romeo will be announcing at 4.30 this afternoon?
Could be the Giulia GTA.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3960965)   #678
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Could be the Giulia GTA.
That's the hot rumour but somebody at the factory told me to expect a surprise, so who knows?

Just so long as it is not electric!
Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:43 (Ref:3960966)   #679
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
A new Copa de Europa with GTA's?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3960967)   #680
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
A new Copa de Europa with GTA's?
Now that would be fun!

Gerard, did you see the cycle racing from Berlin. I was amused by what appeared to be a postman's bike acting as 'pace bike'!

I went to that velodrome 20 years ago for an Audi pre LM press do. And yes, an R8 was driven round the velodrome.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 10:57 (Ref:3960970)   #681
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That Copa de Europe with those cars would be a nice idea, although unlikely to happen.

I did see a bit of the cycle race, but didn't notice any pace bike.

Interesting they chose that venue for an Audi launch all those years ago, but I can see why. How did the Audi cope with the velodrome?
Old 2 Mar 2020, 11:06 (Ref:3960978)   #682
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That Copa de Europe with those cars would be a nice idea, although unlikely to happen.

I did see a bit of the cycle race, but didn't notice any pace bike. There was a short sprint race with half a dozen girls in & he led them round on the first lap. I know nothing about that particular sport but he looked quite strange sitting upright on a bright yellow bike, just like a French postman.

Interesting they chose that venue for an Audi launch all those years ago, but I can see why. How did the Audi cope with the velodrome?
It was strange, & it wasn't even the main launch, just to announce the third driver or something. The car coped remarkably well & seemed quite quick although in reality probably wasn't. The velodrome seems to have changed very little - we ate dinner in the centre.

Re the Giulia's, they must have a lot of unsold cars so a race series but might be a good idea.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3961001)   #683
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I did see a bit of the cycle race, but didn't notice any pace bike.
Cycle race? It was the track cycling championships with multiple disciplines. The one with a pace bike is called the ‘Keirin’. The pace motorcycle is the ‘derney’. Used to be two-stroke but believe electric now.....

Quick explanation... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU0QGFAAsHw
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:27 (Ref:3961030)   #684
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, but road conditions and traffic weren’t quite as challenging then. OK, the odd horse and cart......
I think they were worse when I took my test, 1973, just as much traffic and I used to **** myself at a couple of roundabouts near me until I'd built up confidence, took about half an hour
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3961035)   #685
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think you mean DERNY, named from its french inventor, Roger Derny. The activity stopped in '58. Always ahead with a Derny… obviously!
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3961036)   #686
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
The new Alfa Giulia GTa looks gorgeous. No mention of a race series...

And no, I can't afford one.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3961038)   #687
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you mean DERNY, named from its french inventor, Roger Derny. The activity stopped in '58. Always ahead with a Derny… obviously!
To the uninitiated, Derny riders look a bit comical. They are often ex-professional cyclists who have become - err - well-nourished in their retirement. They also often ride with a "knees out" and "elbows-out" style to create a better slipstream for the racers.

Some of the more distinctive ones are minor stars in their own right...
Old 2 Mar 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3961040)   #688
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Please allow me the occasional spelling mistake, Gerard!

Not sure what you mean by ‘the activity stopped in ‘58’, the Derny is still very much in use for pacing....

Agree, Alan, about some of the Derny riders!
Old 2 Mar 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3961056)   #689
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
C'on Mike, no worry, just take the smile, you support -well, most of time- my pigeon English without mentioning it.
Alan well nourished or because they stop certain kind of food? Fascinating to see how many jobs ex-pros are offered, not only as team managers but telly commentators and… car drivers! Not many as riders afaik.
Old 2 Mar 2020, 18:40 (Ref:3961057)   #690
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes I think the production of the real ones stopped around the sixties. May be Derny became a common appellation -éponyme, like bic for a pencil or frigidaire for a fridge or zodiac for an inflatable boat/doll- !
They make some money, around 3k £ and I'd like Alan to explain what is the position of both riders on a tandem!!!
Old 2 Mar 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3961071)   #691
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Allez, juste pour faire plaisir Ã* Alan Morgan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxQDBY4JIX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoCwUx0xS0
Youpi!
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:01 (Ref:3961081)   #692
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
There's been information about various auctions of historic & classic vehicles in the past, but this one is for some of the more mundane "classics" of the 70's, 80's 7 90's and, it's fair to say, a lot of them are not in the best of condition. The motorbikes & cars start on page 3, with the first two pages being of interesting junk!

https://www.easyliveauction.com/cata...?currentPage=1

For those that know the SniffPetrol website, they have a linked Smith & Sniff Youtube channel and visited the auction showroom recently if you have a spare 45 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRGqja-RGI

Some serious scrap there, though no doubt much of it will fetch silly money - the RS1600 looks good though and will probably go stratospheric, and there's a few other that would be interesting if I didn't already have far too many cars......
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:03 (Ref:3961083)   #693
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of Cycling, who remembers the 3 rider bike from "The Goodies" TV program?

It seems the origins go back some way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carltonreid/9816987063/

Found in this article.

https://roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/ripley/
Old 2 Mar 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3961084)   #694
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
The Alfa reveal was as widely predicted a GTA (and a GTAm) version of the Giulia V6, allegedly uprated to 540 bhp and with much lightening......the GTAm even features a "roll-bar" in place of the rear seats.....

Looks fantastic, but I haven't seen any prices. Most Alfisti really wanted a Coupe and an affordable Giulietta replacement.....
Old 2 Mar 2020, 23:06 (Ref:3961118)   #695
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
On the subject of Cycling, who remembers the 3 rider bike from "The Goodies" TV program?

It seems the origins go back some way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carltonreid/9816987063/

Found in this article.

https://roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/ripley/
The Trandem.

No I'm far too young

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Mar 2020, 06:35 (Ref:3961153)   #696
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The Trandem.

No I'm far too young

Surely a 'Triandem' for three?
Old 3 Mar 2020, 08:09 (Ref:3961163)   #697
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Surely a 'Triandem' for three?
Probably, but they deffo called it a Trandem.

Not to be mistaken for Mr McHenry's Tricibus.

Old 3 Mar 2020, 08:30 (Ref:3961165)   #698
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Probably, but they deffo called it a Trandem.

Not to be mistaken for Mr McHenry's Tricibus.

Ah - all before my time....!!
Old 3 Mar 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3961216)   #699
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I often read the posts on this section, and have formed the opinion (maybe the wrong one) that there are a lot of blowhards, boasters, fantasists trying to impress with there tales of derring do, vast knowledge of all things automotive.

Therefore I challenge you all to attempt my quiz below. I doubt if many will get more than two or three right, even using the internet.

Bauble’s Automotive Brain Teaser.
Chapman Strut is;
1. A Norfolk Morris dance.
2. A 1930’s Hollywood actor.
3. A suspension unit.
Can Am is;
1. Tinned meat.
2. Pol Pot’s brother.
3. North American race series.
Forced Induction is;
1. National Service.
2. A method of feeding hunger strikers.
3. A supercharger.
Spa is;
1. A grocery store
2. An extra wheel in the boot.
3. A Belgian race track.
Helical Spring is
1. A very wet April.
2. An Olympic jumping event.
3. A damper.
Lotus 7 is
1. A Brand Name perfume.
2. An item on the menu of a house of ill repute.
3. A sports car.
A 35B is;
1. A brassier cup size.
2. An item on the menu of a Chinese restaurant;
3. An old French car.
Independent Suspension is;
1. A private execution.
2. Being the sole person Black Flagged;
3. A means of controlling wheels.
The Crown Wheel and Pinion is;
1. An upmarket pub in Chelsea.
2. A music hall act.
3. Part of a steering mechanism.
Bauble is;
1. A worthless trifle.
2. Froth on a pint of beer.
3. A much loved and respected member of this forum.

Best of luck.
Old 3 Mar 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3961218)   #700
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I often read the posts on this section, and have formed the opinion (maybe the wrong one) that there are a lot of blowhards, boasters, fantasists trying to impress with there tales of derring do, vast knowledge of all things automotive.

Therefore I challenge you all to attempt my quiz below. I doubt if many will get more than two or three right, even using the internet.

Bauble’s Automotive Brain Teaser.

The Crown Wheel and Pinion is;
1. An upmarket pub in Chelsea.
2. A music hall act.
3. Part of a steering mechanism.
None of the above.