Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 21 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1638359)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shooting at Croix-en-Ternois

I'll be at the HSCC meeting in mid-July at this circuit, I've never been before so any tips on where to shoot would be appreciated... I'll have media access by the way.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1638607)   #2
DWA
Racer

England
Enfield
DWA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talk to Barry Ambrose as he has been a few times.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1638736)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, I'll do that. The circuit itself looks pretty easier, short and compact, and no huge runoffs. I'll have plenty of time to acclimatise, I'm thinking more about getting trackside, signing on etc. And any tips as to what corners are best in advance is always helpful.
Old 22 Jun 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1638838)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I went there last year but I was taking my piccies from behind the fencing so I was mainly just looking for clear fenceless lines of sight. The circuit is quite compact so you should be able to adjust your position quite easily, it'll be useful if you walk the circuit before everything gets underway.

Another tip for Croix - avoid the toilets at all costs!
Old 22 Jun 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1639070)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Yeah, a friend at work told me that!
Old 22 Jun 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1639335)   #6
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went in way back 1999:
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen...=race9904.html

There is an aerial view of the circuit on above page + the images I took at the time. Watchout for the potholes in the long grass on the start finish straight, I tripped and badly twisted my ankle, a friend had to drive my car home.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1639794)   #7
e30nerd
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Kent
e30nerd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
been once before, Virage magguy is good to get people coming stright towards you down the start / finish straight (and somtimes off the end into the kitty litter), it is then a quick easy 30 sec trip across the grass to cover the inside of Virage de L'Ecole and outside of Virage Du Pont.

You can get really close to the action on the inside of Virage Du Pont, however, don't go on the inside equipped with a prime 300mm as all you will get is pictures of the headlights!

The hair-pin at L'Epingle is also a good slow section with the chance of some opposite lock shots as people try to carry the speed for the start finish straight. However that is about all it is good for.

- agree with Kelvin about the rabbit holes.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1643747)   #8
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few times...make that 8! To be honest there are very few places that are no good - The inside of the first hairpin is good and so is the outside on the entry where the marshals stand (at track level) and also on the exit-walk around as there are some great spots-if you come back with rubbish then its time to give up! Out a brolly in the car as last BARC meeting I did the weather was very unkind with thunder/lightning/monsoon rain etc-nothing worse than two days stuck in France and wet!! Take the turn off the motorway for St.Pol, as you come into St.Pol going downhill into the town there is a hypermarket on your right (opposite a TOTAL garage I think) this is the best (and only) place for beer and stuff so stock out there. Use the loos before all the drivers wake-up or long afterwards as the will be many trying to get in at once!!! YES-BEWARE of the hidden pot holes as they are everywhere-use the circuit if you have time to walk around as its safer or walk along the brick edging if you have the balancing skills!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Croix mini pic.jpg  
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:22 (Ref:1643755)   #9
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...heres another angle which is only good with a good grid...and only good for a 1st lap shot.
Attached Thumbnails
a1 pic.jpg  

Last edited by Snapper Baz; 28 Jun 2006 at 21:25.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1643756)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Cheers, looks like it should be pretty good!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1644477)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike did you get the hotel transfer OK?
Old 29 Jun 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1644527)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Yeah, no problems, thanks for that.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 02:49 (Ref:1654078)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
One more thing, with this event getting close - I have been sent a press pass, I assume I have to go to a circuit office to sign on etc... is this easily found?

Also, getting trackside itself, is it obvious where the access points are? Can you walk all the way round or do you have to go "behind the fence"?
Thanks for the help!
Old 12 Jul 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1654191)   #14
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I presume that if there is signing on it will be in the paddock office, which is in the centre paddock (over the bridge). It is next to the assembly area and in the building which does not house the cafe.

Not sure about access points.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1655990)   #15
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
To get trackside go through the barrier which holds the cars before going onto the circuit at the assembly area (next to the officials signing-on offices) ...it is an idea after your 1st day to plan where you need to get to as it is not possible to get to many of the better locations other than during the short breaks between racing ie: the top, very tight hairpin area before the startline. Good idea would be go on top of the pits and watch a sesson or two of practise and see where the circuit goes as most watch from here. PS: BE VERY CAREFUL of nasty filthy french policeman with speedgun in his car or on a tripod about a mile before you get to the toll plaza on your return on the motorway-as its a Sunday he WILL be there on the hard shoulder waiting (and all the other English drivers returning to the ports) and you will have to pay the fine on the spot. They park usually on a vantage point where they can see a long way ahead of them usually at the top of one of the many hills.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 02:06 (Ref:1657899)   #16
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Not a problem, we went in my dads car, which isn't capable of speeding

Great weekend though, a cool little circuit, and nice to shoot at. Found the circuit quite easy to get around, as far as I could see you can get to the hairpin while the track is "live", there was a gate further down. Anyway... great fun, and I'm looking forward to going back some time.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1659932)   #17
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Pictures from saturday are online, sundays are on their way...

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/2006gallery.htm
Old 19 Jul 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1660208)   #18
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike, I have just spent about half hour at your site, can I tell you that your work is the very definition of 'eye-candy', very well done to you sir. What equipment are you using?
Old 20 Jul 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1660454)   #19
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Nikon D2h and D100, 300mm f4 lens, 80-200 f2.8 lens, 28-70mm f2.8 lens, and a 10-20mm wideangle.