Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Oct 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3465425)   #76
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck with your project!

It's so nice to have a thread with no bs, no worrying about bop, no nothing except for plain old simple motorsport joy!
Old 21 Oct 2014, 03:19 (Ref:3466975)   #77
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, wonderful thread! I don't know how I managed to miss it but reading all of it is very enjoyable.

Regarding the 2000/2001 dilemma, why not run as many 2001 parts as possible (for better performance and it seems better availability) but with a 2000 factory team livery/paint job (looking better and keeping some authenticity)? I think that would be really eye-catching.

Regarding performance, the 2000 wings were single plane whereas the 2001 update was dual plane IIRC. Getting a flap and hand plates fabricated would be relatively easy, but then we run into the authenticity problem... What are you planning on doing with it? If it were me I'd be really tempted to try to upgrade it beyond what the ACO rules allowed by adding a long tail and a bigger diffuser, but I can understand that throws authenticity out of the window and might cause problems for historic racing (and introduce dynamic problem that would need to be solved by a pro driver).
Old 21 Oct 2014, 03:33 (Ref:3466983)   #78
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is so exciting, I still have questions to ask about the engine! How hard will it be to run the engine? The Audis pretty much needed a laptop and a factory technician to start; a few lucky owners now run them in historics but I guess the Audi Sport department and Brad Kettler make it user friendly to run their multiple LM winners - and that incentive certainly isn't there for Cadillac.

Oh and finally who was responsible for the engine? It seems that the peripherals were completely redone for the post-2000 engine so Nicholson McLaren, who were mentioned in the early press releases, were probably booted from the project. I also read the original engine had a 90 degree crank like the early IRL engine, which made it impossible to compete with Audi. I'm surprised TWR was involved since they were in charge of the rival Infiniti engine. Ilmor would make more sense since they were in charge of the Aurora Gen II engine before Cosworth took over for Gen III.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 05:11 (Ref:3466992)   #79
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A parts source?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Cadilla..._Street_Legal_
Old 21 Oct 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3467085)   #80
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Pretty good deal for a well sorted car if you ask me!
Old 21 Oct 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3467146)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Pretty good deal for a well sorted car if you ask me!
It does look to be a nice package, but its hard to say if it is good deal or not. Current bid of 120K is below the reserve. Who knows what the reserve might be!?

Richard
Old 21 Oct 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3467151)   #82
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the car that Kim Baker has for sale. He's they guy who I got most of the parts from. I think he is asking $400,000 for the 2002 car.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3467179)   #83
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
$120,000 or $400,000 all the same to me.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3467199)   #84
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Felix,

I'm fairly sure that the 2000 cars had double plane wings, all the photos appear to be two plane and the only 2000 part I have (other than the tub) is a black Motorola, two plane wing.

Old 21 Oct 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3467203)   #85
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
This is a photo of our 00-002 at Le Mans 2000, before the fire....

I'm with you Felix, I just love this livery, right now my plan is to finish the car as it ran at Le Mans, although the 2001 body is slightly different, I'm ok with that.

If in the future I can find a 2000 splitter and body, I'd love to swap them out.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3467299)   #86
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
You could just copy them here, such as ...

(from this post of Jim Craik)

(from that post of Jim Craik)
Is that a Ford GT in the background - is that your car as well?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3467317)   #87
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I also spot a white Porsche Cayman
Old 22 Oct 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3467401)   #88
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Craik View Post
This is a photo of our 00-002 at Le Mans 2000, before the fire....

I'm with you Felix, I just love this livery, right now my plan is to finish the car as it ran at Le Mans, although the 2001 body is slightly different, I'm ok with that.

If in the future I can find a 2000 splitter and body, I'd love to swap them out.
I have the Scalextric version of this car with working headlights!

I lost the wing mirrors in a nasty accident with a Dyson MG-Lola
Old 22 Oct 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3467408)   #89
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Is that a Ford GT in the background - is that your car as well?
That is an SPF GT40, P/2264, built in South Africa 2008. It's a MKI with a Roush 302 and a ZF...

I've put over 40,000 miles on it and I just love her!

My wifes Cayman is silver with a 6 speed...

Last edited by Jim Craik; 22 Oct 2014 at 15:17.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3467414)   #90
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
This is P/2264 on Sugar Mountain Raceway.......

My wife insists in calling it our driveway, she has little imagination...

Old 22 Oct 2014, 15:53 (Ref:3467419)   #91
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
That is an SPF GT40, P/2264, built in South Africa 2008. It's a MKI with a Roush 302 and a ZF...

I've put over 40,000 miles on it and I just love her!

My wifes Cayman is silver with a 6 speed...
Nice - we almost have some common ground as I have an '06 GT
Old 23 Oct 2014, 06:52 (Ref:3467550)   #92
Joe Bernard
Rookie

Joe Bernard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is such a cool project. I saw these run at Sonoma (Sears Point, Infineon) back in the day, and they were my favorite. That's in your general area, so I hope to see your rebuilt Cadillac LMP there for an historic meet or test run someday.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3467622)   #93
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A couple of things on the motor, I have read in several places that the motors were the smaller Olds Aurora blocks and that they were built up by "McLaren".
McLaren Engines in Livonia, MI. They were purchased in 2003. The new company is http://www.linamar.com/technology. Hope this can help in a small way.

Great project Jim, and best of luck with it! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Throughout the 1980s and 90s, McLaren operated as a specialty prototype and niche vehicle fabrication and engine development and testing service.The Evolution of McLaren Performance Technologies in Action The Livonia, Michigan headquarters was a centre for turbocharged racing engines from 1000 hp Offenhausers to Cosworth V-8s, Buick V-6s for Indy/IMSA and compact 2 liter BMWs that produced up to 900 hp. In addition, McLaren built turbocharged V-8s in support of Cadillac's LeMans effort

Last edited by HJJ; 23 Oct 2014 at 12:54.
Old 13 Nov 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3474366)   #94
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Hi Guys, thanks for the input....

A couple of things on the motor, I have read in several places that the motors were the smaller Olds Aurora blocks and that they were built up by "McLaren".

One other thing, in my investigation into these cars, I did read in at least one place, that these motors had a rather strange turbo set up. Per this one article, only six of the exaust pipes whent through the turbos, with two of them going straight into the exhaust. Could this be true?

I do not remember hearing this anywhere else......it seems like the kind of this we would have heard about.

I suppose it could help low end power and certinally would give a strange exaust sound.

Any thoughts?
I think I can put an end to the speculation about how many of the exhaust pipes go through the turbos....

The number is eight!

This is a photo of the new factory race motor I'm hoping to purchase. As you can see just inboard of the turbo, is a "pop off, pressure release valve. If the valve is removed, it does appear that "one" pipe bypasses the turbo....I'm sure this is how the rumor about the one pipe came about.

But it only looks that way, all eight pipes go through the turbos...

LikeLike · · Share
Old 6 Jan 2015, 04:23 (Ref:3490255)   #95
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jim, I'm guessing you're probably not looking for any more Cadillac LMPs right now, but in case you are, Barrett-Jackson's going to be selling two:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...ACE-CAR-181046

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...ACE-CAR-181044
Old 6 Jan 2015, 14:16 (Ref:3490349)   #96
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
It says no reserve!
Old 6 Jan 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3490465)   #97
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Jim, I'm guessing you're probably not looking for any more Cadillac LMPs right now, but in case you are, Barrett-Jackson's going to be selling two:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...ACE-CAR-181046

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Event...ACE-CAR-181044
"Z"

Thanks for the heads up, I will watch this with great anticipation. These are two of the chassis that I was unable to find any info on.

Thanks again...
Old 7 Jan 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3490509)   #98
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
"Z"

Thanks for the heads up, I will watch this with great anticipation. These are two of the chassis that I was unable to find any info on.

Thanks again...
Glad I could help! I saw them in the Barrett-Jackson ad in the latest issue of Hemmings Motor News, and immediately thought of your car.
Old 9 Jan 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3491485)   #99
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
So far I have been unable to find a chassis number for the 2000 car, although it looks good from the outside, the engine compartment is very rough....

It's from Florida, I wonder if it spent some time under water?

Last edited by Jim Craik; 9 Jan 2015 at 22:59.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3522458)   #100
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
I have made another parts hunt, this time I struck GOLD! I pucked up an almost complete body, splitter, all flooring, ducts, diffuser and nice carbon body with original race paint & windshield. The body now only needs the roll over structure and the support for the windshield...