Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Mar 2021, 12:23 (Ref:4042065)   #76
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I both liked and didn't like them (a bit Schrödinger, I know). I liked them because they injected a little more into the various strategy options available during a race, but I didn't like them because sometimes teams or drivers screwed them up.

Overall I'm a bit "meh, whatever".

Although the few screwups that happened when pit crew forgot to remove the velcro strip off the rear window were quite funny!
Old 21 Mar 2021, 16:29 (Ref:4042087)   #77
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
They needed something to spice up the racing, I think I remember reading they couldn't change the technical rules at the time and so brought in one lap qualifying and mandatory pitstops. I'm never a fan of mandatory pitstops per se, but it did make things interesting quite often, but in the same way I don't miss them. The action should be on track. Although the rule at the time saying you could only change two tyres at a time was quite interesting

And yes, I seem to remember Ford forgot to take Mansell's yellow tape off at Brands in 98...
Old 21 Mar 2021, 16:43 (Ref:4042092)   #78
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think at the time Michelin brought a number of compounds to the track, my limited research suggests it could be between 3 or 5 compounds. I personally think that the current Goodyear tyres are too durable and that something softer should be reintroduced. The tyre has been revised now several times and each time it has become more durable and has less tyre wear over a stint.
Old 21 Mar 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4042099)   #79
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I both liked and didn't like them (a bit Schrödinger, I know). I liked them because they injected a little more into the various strategy options available during a race, but I didn't like them because sometimes teams or drivers screwed them up.

Overall I'm a bit "meh, whatever".

Although the few screwups that happened when pit crew forgot to remove the velcro strip off the rear window were quite funny!
The Williams Renault team were hot on their pitstops, I think they were the first team to truly have well run pitstops. I was shown (at the time) a chart on the pit garage wall of what each persons job was, and where the team wanted me to stand as the pit marshal timing the stop, so the team manager could read my stopwatch and give a countdown to the driver.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 10:03 (Ref:4047252)   #80
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the thinking behind Ford running a car from Burt and then Gravett at the end of 94?

Was it purely a straight shoot out between the two for a 95 drive or just a chance for Burt to get familiar with the BTCC and for Gravett either a favour or a funded one off outing?

Obviously Burt got the 95 drive but their one off appearances in 94 were of fairly equal performance.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4047253)   #81
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
What was the thinking behind Ford running a car from Burt and then Gravett at the end of 94?

Was it purely a straight shoot out between the two for a 95 drive or just a chance for Burt to get familiar with the BTCC and for Gravett either a favour or a funded one off outing?

Obviously Burt got the 95 drive but their one off appearances in 94 were of fairly equal performance.
Wasn't Gravett preparing for the Touring Car World Cup?
Old 22 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4047254)   #82
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Wasn't Gravett preparing for the Touring Car World Cup?
Ah there we go
Old 22 Apr 2021, 11:13 (Ref:4047260)   #83
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes Gravett was probably there to get ready for the World Cup also at Donny. Don't know if Burt was already confirmed for a 95 drive when he drove at Silverstone? Not sure if they also felt they needed to run a third car to help Radisich's slim title hopes?