Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 23 Sep 2003, 15:08 (Ref:727802)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2003 British Rallycross Grand Prix Cancelled

Dear all,

I am sorry to announce that the 2003 British Rallycross Grand Prix has been cancelled. A board meeting took place this morning and with the lack of European entrys, the descision was taken. The reasons given for this are date clashes with other National championships and the state of the Euro.

Plans have already begun for the 2004 event.

Peter Stott
www.BritishRallycrossGP.com
Old 23 Sep 2003, 18:43 (Ref:727997)   #2
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is disgusting why cant they run with the entries they already this is total **** so all those competitors that have got there cars ready for this event which has cost them.

Is this a darlington mc desiscion or Croft and why do they have to cancel what a blow
Old 23 Sep 2003, 19:07 (Ref:728015)   #3
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The information we recieved after the meeting took place is online at www.BritishRallycrossGP.com and www.rallycross.nl
(news sections)

Last edited by Peter S; 23 Sep 2003 at 19:08.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 19:07 (Ref:728016)   #4
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There goes my planned Holiday.

Whilst I welcome the efforts being made to revive the GP, I also hope any future events take the spirit of the Rallycross GP past, and not just its name.

The GP used to be a festival of rallycross, with any car allowed in, even if it no longer met current regs.

It shouldn`t just be an event for Euro spec 4wd`s.

Remember Trevor Reeves in the RS500, those little NSU`s, that Holden, the 4wd Beetles, etc. None were capable of winning outright, but it was those cars and drivers that made the event what it was.

I can`t helping think that if 2wd and Gp B cars had been eligible, that there would have been hope for an event this year.

Oh well, best wishes to those doing the organising for 2004, please try not to let the `RallyX GP` die because of this set back. It is still an event that spectators want to see.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 20:17 (Ref:728080)   #5
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are dam right there about the event shouldnt be for the Euro cars.

V-Tec Motorsport have just spent money on tyres and getting the car prepped for this event.

And now I heard that they changed the weight rules bloody MSA
Old 23 Sep 2003, 20:21 (Ref:728087)   #6
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Open up the entry and get it back at Brands Hatch. You`d get more entries than you could shake a stick at!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 16:41 (Ref:729888)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too right, they shot themselves in the foot by not letting the Brits compete.
But I presume they hadn't got any entries from abraod and the Supernationals maybe were not too keen on coming over aswell.
Big shame as I was gonna go.
Needs to be at Lydden or Brands again to encourage the Europeans to come over, anyone with any sense would have told the BRDA that before they even started, that is why we lost the ERC rounds in UK, coz the BARC or whoever it was decided in their wisdom to take the ERC to Pembrey!!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 17:41 (Ref:729945)   #8
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right Chunder, Lydden and Brands are the circuits with the history and atmosphere. I know my Northern friend's aren't going to agree, Croft just seems such a bleak cold univiting place when ever I go, its just a flat airstrip. I know there probably the best supports of rallycross by along way, but whatever anyone says I can not see further than Lydden or Brands for European rallycross.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 00:14 (Ref:730288)   #9
tim m
Rookie

tim m should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well so this was going to be the best rallycross meeting of the year.... hmm guess not. Whoever decided to eliminate certain cars from competing, sorry many cars, should take along look at themselves.The event is not big enough yet to discrminate anyone.I know there are many cars lying dorment both here and in europe and the event should have been used to bring both these cars and their drivers back to life. The rallycross GP should be open to anyone as it use to be, perhaps with different classes incorperated into the event.Lets not give up with the GP or Croft, infact with a little work and common sense Croft could become the circuit it once was, and try and make the 2004 GP an event to remember
Old 26 Sep 2003, 09:54 (Ref:730587)   #10
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel for those competitors who have spent money preparing their cars for the cancelled Euro GP event. I believe some were people who no longer do the British Championship.

I also feel very upset for those voluntry marshals who had just booked non-returnable air tickets to get to Croft.

I was born and brought up near Brands and I was pleased to see their RallyX circuit resurected after it had effectively closed. We shouldn't have the GP at Brands until they show consistant support for RallyX. I know that the Brands event in November ran the risk of deminishing the entry to Croft because cometitors were worried of car damage preventing them winning the championship.

What we really need is a European Championship round that tours well equiped circuits (garaged pits). It used to be combined with an Irish round the following weekend to mitigate transport costs.

It is interesting that some slag off the BRDA. At least their events run. One can improve a viable event/Championship.

Was there a clash with the other European championships?
What can we do to get those wonderful characters and machines across to the UK?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:05 (Ref:730592)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I heard rumours that next year, the BRDA are scrapping the Mondello round and doing a weekend at Nutts and Kirkistown - does anyone know if that's the case?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 19:33 (Ref:731274)   #12
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't listen to rumours there's too many around. I don't even know the dates for next year, and I'm a clerk. Wait till the calender is anounced, I understand that should be within the next few weeks.

PS Hi Pumkin one - how you and the alien marshall?
Old 26 Sep 2003, 19:39 (Ref:731284)   #13
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also wanted to say it is very sad news that the GP has had to be cancelled. I was looking forward to spending the weekend up at Croft. I know how difficult it would have been to make that decision. I hope that all parties can get together and get the event back on the calender for next year.

The boy blunder and I are hoping to get up for at least one of the winter rounds. If I bring my tango suit do you think I could get out on post? I did the winter round at Lydden last year on post and turned in to a crash magnet; when was the last time there was so many crashes at the finish line at Lydden?
Old 27 Sep 2003, 11:23 (Ref:731654)   #14
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Ive been imformed actual reason for cancellation. Top drivers, e.g Hanson, Kuypers etc wanted the British cars to run euro retrictors they didn't feel the weight penalty was enough. It was too short notice for this too happen so cancelled for this year, back next year with all countries running same reg's in Division 1 there will be no problems, GP will continue at Croft.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 20:54 (Ref:732396)   #15
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think its a shame that the GP is exclusively for 4WD cars these days. Surely there must be plenty of european racers, that would like to compete, without relying on 3 or 4 top line ERC drivers.

The Grand Prix will just turn into a low entry non-championship european round, dependent on one or two top drivers. I would much rather see cars & drivers from all types of national championships compete.

90 cars used to start the GP, fighting for 60 places on the Sunday to fight for a place in 10 car grid for A B or C finals. The GP used to be a show case for all types of rallycross car and drivers.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 08:13 (Ref:732605)   #16
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Your spot on. Do you remember Dave Pritchard (i think) qualifying his 2WD Metro into the A final and the variation of different cars such as the 4WD beetle's, the twin turbo 6R4's, NSU's, BMW M3 4WD, Lotus Sunbeam 4WD, Chevy Monza etc etc. It was this meeting that got me, most of my mates and proberbly most of the rallycross fans in the south of England interested in rallycross.

I know Brands have sh..t on rallycross the last few years but it's the only circuit that you will revive the GP. It has all of the history, all the foriegn drivers would love to race there, the track has all the facilities for a wet / frosty weekends racing, the circuit is still one of the best to race and spectate at and its BRANDS HATCH, one of the most well known tracks in the world along side Monaco, Spa, Indy, Monza etc - not an old airfield in North Yourkshire where it's always ****ing down and freezing cold. If I was a European driver I know which track I would rather race at.

Bring back the Grand Prix at Brands and open up the entry to any car that fits any rallycross class in Europe. Put them all in one class with only one winner and not all these stupid 'sub classes'. There has only been one country that has held or could hold a Grand Prix, Britain. We should use this advantage and get the GP going again.

The last three years attempted Grand Prix have in my opinion damaged the prestige of the meetings at Brands. I bet the Europeons are laughing at the British rallycross organisers again. Another cock up. Why can't they get it right.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 13:54 (Ref:732775)   #17
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
I hate to say it but your right Winnie. I was lucky enough to attend all the GP's at Brands, best motor-racing Ive ever seen. We will see how Brands get on later this year with the championship meeting. My first opinion is the new track lay out is to big, but I will judge after meeting. as for a open meeting, totally agree as well, open to any rallycross car that is legal to race in rallycross, no stock hatch or minicross though, clubman meetings only in my opinion.
Old 28 Sep 2003, 23:17 (Ref:733358)   #18
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
I`m not convinced about using Brabham straight either, though it has to be better than using the Mclaren, Clark sections they switched to, before Rallycross lost favour at Brands. That layout was too long and just split the cars up.

Also not sure about the Hoppy Drop then right onto surtees then sharp left, across the clearways grass, section. I suppose it will give a bit more spectator area, allowing people to watch from the clearways bank. (Especially, as the inside of druids has turned into an inaccessable cage, thanks to the indy car debris fencing, and slight lack of a spectator footbridge bridge.)

Still, I`m just happy to see RallyX at Brands once more.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 07:36 (Ref:754086)   #19
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see the event come to Lydden if only there was the investment in some decent pit facilities. But then again no-one is going to invest when the future is uncertain are they?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 19:39 (Ref:754698)   #20
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If Mclaren don't get the planning to convert lydden into a test track what would the circuit be worth.

Could 'British Rallycross' buy it. If this was possible tnem i woulod love 'British Rallycross' to pull out of being controlled and ripped off by the RAC MSA and FIA. I'm sure Rallycross could survive without them. Look at Speedworth and other short circuit motorsport.

How much do Lydden charge to rent the circuit for a day and how much of this goes straight to the RAC. I know circuits have to pay for track inspections and permits etc and drivers have to pay for licence's.

If Lydden can attract say 5,000 spectators at £10 each and say 100 competitors at £120 each then thats over £60,000 income per meeting. Where does this money go. It doesn't go back into the sport.