Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:30 (Ref:837212)   #101
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read the interview with de Rooy on the official Dakar site - he didn't mention any blocking at all. FIRE, where did you read/hear this?

Last edited by R; 13 Jan 2004 at 22:31.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 11:14 (Ref:837738)   #102
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
R - Luc Alphand (BMW X-trail) actually reported the same thing - he was behind De Roy and once past he said that de Roy appeared to be getting blocked - see link below to crash.net interview

http://crash.net/uk/en/news_view.asp?cid=26&nid=83670
Old 14 Jan 2004, 15:07 (Ref:838001)   #103
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
I read the interview with de Rooy on the official Dakar site - he didn't mention any blocking at all. FIRE, where did you read/hear this?
I get this from Belgian website www.pitstop.tv who interviewed De Mevius.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 15:40 (Ref:838045)   #104
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was on speed as well,de Rooy did indeed complain about blocking- as did schlesser, when he was behind a misubishi.... things are not pretty in the jungle are they
Old 14 Jan 2004, 15:50 (Ref:838056)   #105
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McRae has done really well to win stage 13 by 25 minutes, those couple of nights in the desert didn't seem to do him any harm!!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 16:25 (Ref:838118)   #106
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Stage 13:
1. McRae
2. Villiers
3. Vatanen

So it's a very good day for Nissan.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 17:41 (Ref:838231)   #107
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

How barmy is Colin?! The man's a hero!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 00:58 (Ref:838692)   #108
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone any idea of the budget required to do the Dakar?? I would love to have ago as navigator-mechanic
Old 15 Jan 2004, 09:20 (Ref:838997)   #109
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK guys, thanks for the info re the blocking.

A marathon stage ahead now, which means they can have no mechanical service overnight.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 09:46 (Ref:839012)   #110
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Has anyone any idea of the budget required to do the Dakar?? I would love to have ago as navigator-mechanic
I was involved in the '87 run with Ptrick Tambay and can say that for a serious attempt with full back up we are talking serious money. However, there are many ways, for example some of the guys out there are clearly running on fresh air (how do they do it) Caldecott (Australian motorcycly privateer) apparently had a budget of £40k.

There are French teams like Desoudre (sp??) who do supported hire car deals as do the Bowler people (who are UK based, I think) - my guess would be that you are probaly looking at a minimum of 50k?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:51 (Ref:839071)   #111
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Interesting, do you think if I were to take a well known driver (F1 possibly) it would be possible to get a works drive in a number 4 car for similar budget or would I have to come up with full costs?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:09 (Ref:839089)   #112
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Interesting, do you think if I were to take a well known driver (F1 possibly) it would be possible to get a works drive in a number 4 car for similar budget or would I have to come up with full costs?
Mmmmmm - good question!

Obviously, there are going to be openings for a well known driver, but the top teams would most likely want to pair them with a 'known' Dakar navigator. But I am pretty sure that there are deals to be done - rather like any other branch of motor sport (where we all know that a team with two drivers can be using rich plonker a to fund really good but poor driver b.)

I can only go on my experience with Patrick Tamby. Originally he had cut an informal deal to put him into the French Land Rover dealer's Range Rover team. That fell through and Patrick was, by then, so keen to do it that he found a lot of funding of his own to ensure the seat - I am talking 1987 and I am talking £100s k!

If you are even half serious, the best place to start is probaly the organisors - Amaury Sports Organisation in Paris (see www.dakar.com) to get info on teams (and sell them the idea).

I for one would love to see more british 'names' involved so that it gets the same level of attention here as in the rest of eurpoe, where it is megga
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:24 (Ref:839113)   #113
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I sent an email to Paul Round who is in charge at Rally Raid UK but he is competing at the moment so I dont think I will get a reply for a while. I found this website http://www.dakar-rally.com/wrental/wrental.htm

i just need to work on getting sponsorship before about september time so I can start training.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:26 (Ref:839117)   #114
racingdad
Veteran

mackmot - you might also like to talk to Ralliart who also run fully supported "arrive & drive" teams - I think run out of France but I'm sure that their UK org can provide info / contact details.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 12:46 (Ref:840278)   #115
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great to have a 10-Tenther involved in the Rally -- we might even organize a trip to one of the European stages to cheer you on and get cheap PR.

Who knows, we might even raise a bit of money for a serious effort -- even if we each gave $10.00 US, that would be a good chunk of money.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:34 (Ref:841986)   #116
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Nani Roma will be able to be the first Catalan in winning the Dakar...
Old 18 Jan 2004, 02:34 (Ref:842036)   #117
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like I won't win any money on this one, considering what De Mevius' car looked like today and unless Nani Roma gets locked in a Porta-John tomorrow or someone hides his shoes ...

But it's been a really good Rally Raid and everyone came through it with nothing worse than a few broken bones and a lot of broken machinery, and really the best biker is going to win ... and the best cars ... although I think anybody you put in those Mitsus would have done as well.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 10:38 (Ref:842221)   #118
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Looks like Nani Roma will be able to be the first Catalan in winning the Dakar...
and the first Spanish too.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 10:47 (Ref:842225)   #119
R
Veteran

And a good thing too, because Jordi Arcarons finished 2nd 4 times! Let's hope Roma does it!
Old 18 Jan 2004, 11:49 (Ref:842276)   #120
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and also after the second place in cars of Miguel Prieto (Dakar´99).
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:52 (Ref:842556)   #121
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, I predicted the winners of all three classes right, this was the first time ever. Maybe I should fill a lottery ticket?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 18 Jan 2004, 21:12 (Ref:842666)   #122
Liz
Veteran

I got two of the three last year -- Sainct was a no-brainer, but I was saved at the last minute by Peterhansel hitting that rock. This year I scored a perfect ZERO.

Trust me, if you bet on the race next year you will score zero too ...