Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Aug 2015, 19:49 (Ref:3567733)   #1501
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The MkIIIc may have been the last Riley & Scott, but Riley has been building cars ever since, including Oper Wheel, DP's, and GT's. Not to mention all the cars that were available but never left the drawing board.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3567741)   #1502
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Some 2016 speculation already at VIR for the GT3 class. A Corvette GT3 not being ruled out (I don't put much in that one). But Kettler saying that there will be an Audi armada for Daytona pretty much.
A Corvette GT3 would be awesome, but I'd put a lot more faith into a Reiter-built Camaro GT3 or a Cadillac ATS-V GT3 if I'm honest.

As far an Audi armada goes, bring it on. How many Porsche 911s are out there right now? If the Audi R8 can be a numbers rival to the 911 GT3, I ain't gonna complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I wonder what teams will be involved in that. I'm sure it will be the Euro guys supporting the american teams like the #48 and #76 cars. I wonder if Flying Lizard is going to go with Audi or McLaren. I can certainly see PWC teams moving to IMSA. I hope it does happen in fact.
Audi has already been asked about this and says that they want American teams to be their reps here. I'm betting on a second Paul Miller car, the Compass360 entry, probably Flying Lizard and hopefully the PWC teams like Global Motorsports Group and CRP Racing, though I could see a team like United Autosports heading over for the NAEC rounds.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3567742)   #1503
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Mk. XXX because it's the 30th car they've designed or something. Also, as someone else pointed out, don't Google "Riley Mk. XXX!"
Old 22 Aug 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3567746)   #1504
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
The MkIIIc may have been the last Riley & Scott, but Riley has been building cars ever since, including Oper Wheel, DP's, and GT's. Not to mention all the cars that were available but never left the drawing board.
Yeah, but, nothing was really a designated R&S chassis.... doesnt matter I suppose. just seems odd.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Aug 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3567752)   #1505
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Yeah, but, nothing was really a designated R&S chassis.... doesnt matter I suppose. just seems odd.
This isn't an R&S either... the "S" is looooong out of the picture.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3567760)   #1506
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
This isn't an R&S either... the "S" is looooong out of the picture.
Right... I get that. I'm just making it a historical observation.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Aug 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3567773)   #1507
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
A Corvette GT3 would be awesome, but I'd put a lot more faith into a Reiter-built Camaro GT3 or a Cadillac ATS-V GT3 if I'm honest.
The Camaro is based on a what is now a very outdated street car and has never looked like winning anything anywhere while Callaway is introducing a new car after keeping the C6 a competitive and successful GT3 platform for a decade.

They also never said they'd support a Camaro or ATS.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 23:57 (Ref:3567789)   #1508
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure if he meant "more faith in a Camaro or ATS showing up over a Corvette" or "more faith in a Camaro or ATS to do well compared to a Corvette."

I'm guessing he meant the former, because there was that thing a while back where some GM board people decided they didn't want customer Corvettes in TUSC because it might confuse people and make them think it's related to the factory program somehow or something like that. Callaway wasn't allowed to sell their C7 GT3 in the US because it would compete with the Cadillac...

I'd like to see the Cadillacs run Daytona but since they would be required to run an amateur driver I'm not sure if that would line up with the whole "factory team" thing. Also, if Cadillac has decided that they aren't going to make it a customer car and will just use it for PWC sprints, they might not be developed for endurance stuff and if they aren't going to be sold they wouldn't have a reason to spend the money to develop them into endurance cars.

If he meant the latter, then I agree that I would put just as much faith in Callaway to do well with a brand new car as I would in Reiter's Camaro, and the Cadillacs would be a bit of an unknown as well.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 01:47 (Ref:3567804)   #1509
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How many Porsche 911s are out there right now? .
Doesn't matter how many Porsches there are right now, to be eligible next year they need to buy the new gt3. I know AJR have confirmed their intention to run them, but not sure who else has made it public.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 03:06 (Ref:3567814)   #1510
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I'm guessing he meant the former, because there was that thing a while back where some GM board people decided they didn't want customer Corvettes in TUSC because it might confuse people and make them think it's related to the factory program somehow or something like that.
But the irony is that there are customer Corvette cars that aren't Corvettes at all (i.e. Corvette DP).

Honestly, just bring the Cadillac AT-S GT3 car in TUSC and run with it!
Old 23 Aug 2015, 13:01 (Ref:3567914)   #1511
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
If you look at it from a customer standpoint the Camaro has nothing going for it whatsoever but being cheap, and even assuming you can buy an ATS-V.R it's being developed 100% for sprint racing and probably not a great way to go for enduros. The new Callaway is still the one I'd see most likely to show up in customer hands in North America, particularly given Callaway sells a lot of cars through North American dealerships these days.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 13:54 (Ref:3567920)   #1512
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The new Callaway is still the one I'd see most likely to show up in customer hands in North America, particularly given Callaway sells a lot of cars through North American dealerships these days.
Sure that they Callaway Corvette has some credibility, but GM will just block it because it'll make a conflict to their factory Corvette GTE/LM program.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 14:01 (Ref:3567924)   #1513
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Sure that they Callaway Corvette has some credibility, but GM will just block it because it'll make a conflict to their factory Corvette GTE/LM program.
Doug Fehan himself said they would welcome a GT3 Corvette. One can only hope that's now the party line and they've done away with that prohibition.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 14:33 (Ref:3567929)   #1514
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Doug Fehan himself said they would welcome a GT3 Corvette. One can only hope that's now the party line and they've done away with that prohibition.

Maybe relationship between GM and Callaway has changed or a personnel change at GM has seen a change in thinking on the matter?
Old 23 Aug 2015, 15:44 (Ref:3567937)   #1515
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Maybe relationship between GM and Callaway has changed or a personnel change at GM has seen a change in thinking on the matter?
Likely they've realized that the Callaway engineering is just as good, if not better than that of P&M, and they don't have to spend their own money to build a GT3 car.

It's the little things.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 16:12 (Ref:3567946)   #1516
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
If you look at it from a customer standpoint the Camaro has nothing going for it whatsoever but being cheap, and even assuming you can buy an ATS-V.R it's being developed 100% for sprint racing and probably not a great way to go for enduros. The new Callaway is still the one I'd see most likely to show up in customer hands in North America, particularly given Callaway sells a lot of cars through North American dealerships these days.
Have you looked at the ATS-V.R up close? It's basically a Pratt & Miller GTE car. It would have no problem running Daytona or any other endurance race. It's also why the original car they sent to the FIA GT3 BoP test was laughed at and rejected. And why the 2nd car Johnny O' was running this year (after the first caught fire, which was the one that went to Europe for BoP testing) was slower than the 1st (because they were trying to get the 2nd one homologated). Now he's back in the original car.

-mike
Old 23 Aug 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3567970)   #1517
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While on the topic of GT3's, how many teams have we had confirm their plans for next year. Off the top of my head I think the AJR Weathertech guys have agreed to buy a new Porsche (or 2?), and Paul Miller will have a new Audi or 2. Do we have any others confirmed for the full season or otherwise?
Old 23 Aug 2015, 20:59 (Ref:3567996)   #1518
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
While on the topic of GT3's, how many teams have we had confirm their plans for next year. Off the top of my head I think the AJR Weathertech guys have agreed to buy a new Porsche (or 2?), and Paul Miller will have a new Audi or 2. Do we have any others confirmed for the full season or otherwise?
Lizards are in for 2 Audis last I knew
Old 23 Aug 2015, 21:02 (Ref:3567998)   #1519
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Well I hope the Viper stays and we get a couple RC F's and AMG's. And how about those McLaren 650's?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 04:59 (Ref:3568117)   #1520
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Have you looked at the ATS-V.R up close? It's basically a Pratt & Miller GTE car. It would have no problem running Daytona or any other endurance race. It's also why the original car they sent to the FIA GT3 BoP test was laughed at and rejected. And why the 2nd car Johnny O' was running this year (after the first caught fire, which was the one that went to Europe for BoP testing) was slower than the 1st (because they were trying to get the 2nd one homologated). Now he's back in the original car.

-mike
This kept in mind, if Cadillac was to enter the GTD(3) class in Tudor, would the ATS-V.R be legal?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 05:20 (Ref:3568119)   #1521
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Well I hope the Viper stays and we get a couple RC F's and AMG's. And how about those McLaren 650's?
I concur in these, though it seems Lexus is having a bit of a challenge making the IS-F competitive. (Just make a new LFA or make some more of the existing model, Lexus. The universe will thank you, and that car will kick ass in GT racing.) The Viper seems like it'll be around a while (Ben Keating is enthusiastic about it it seems) and Mercedes seems to be looking at somebody to run a GTD program for the AMG GT here. (Black Swan or Dragonspeed, maybe?)

My hopes right now are centered on expansions. TRG and the Aston Martin project is going great and Christina Nielsen is doing better than expected, maybe a championship will bring a second car? Nissan might consider some IMSA races now as well (maybe for GT Academy grads?), Turner I hope considers two M6s (or maybe a Z4 and a M6 for a while) and both K-Pax and Dyson bring the 650S and Continental GT to IMSA.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 05:54 (Ref:3568124)   #1522
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This kept in mind, if Cadillac was to enter the GTD(3) class in Tudor, would the ATS-V.R be legal?
Yes.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3568292)   #1523
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Somewhat related, Speedsource is hiring and RG Racing is selling their inventory (don't expect them to be back for next year's Rolex24):

Quote:
SpeedSource
SpeedSource started a topic SpeedSource Inc/ Mazda Motorsports positions available.
08-13-2015, 04:57 PM

August 12, 2015
SpeedSource Inc / MAZDA Motorsports has immediate openings within its race operations department.
We are hiring for multiple positions which include, but are not limited to for our Factory Backed prototype programs:
- #1 Technician/Car chiefs, LMP or GT experience a must, high working standards and be able to lead by example, salary commensurate of experience.
- #2 Techicians, LMP or GT experience a must, high working standards, salary commensurate of experience.
- Truck Drivers, Class A CDL, experience a must, high working standards, salary commensurate of experience.
- Show car rig drivers, Class B CDL or Higher, experience a must, high working standards, salary commensurate of experience.

Qualified applicants should submit cover letters along with resumes to hr@speedsource.com
SpeedSource Race Engineering
www.speedsource.com
*NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE*

RGRacing
RGRacing started a topic Gen 3 Riley DP and pit equipment for sale
08-10-2015, 07:09 PM

RG Racing is selling it's Gen 3 Riley DP, chassis #006. Currently set up for BMW power. Equipped with Xtrac gearbox, Life Racing paddle shift, EFI Technology data logger/dash, Brembo carbon brakes and Dynamics shocks. Many spares available. Two BMW engines are also available. These are S62's originally built by PTG for Southard Motorsports DP program. One has been rebuilt and converted to be interchangeable with the Dinan IMSA engines. The other needs to be rebuilt. These are not legal for IMSA, but would make great vintage or club racing engines.

We also have our pit equipment available, this is all former Gainsco Racing equipment and includes:
Engineers stand with intercom, computers, monitors and TV's.
Fuel rig
Fuel transfer cart with air powered pump
Wheel guns, hoses, tools etc.

Please contact Rob at rgewirtz@rgracing.us
from http://forum.imsa.com
Old 24 Aug 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3568299)   #1524
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I don't see it in the official homologation list. So that'd be a no.

-mike
Old 24 Aug 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3568300)   #1525
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Somewhat related, Speedsource is hiring and RG Racing is selling their inventory (don't expect them to be back for next year's Rolex24):

from http://forum.imsa.com
RG Racing got, what, one race out of that car? I know it was purchased as a track toy for the guy, but still.