Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jul 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3662025)   #3751
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it will rain again. I'd live through that misery again to see a GT car win overall.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 21:44 (Ref:3662309)   #3752
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DPs will live on forever, but will have a carbon fiber frame and no steel tube, and will be quite modern, with over 700hp.

Btw, Indycar is at Mid-Ohio, why can't IMSA be there?
Old 30 Jul 2016, 22:03 (Ref:3662315)   #3753
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Btw, Indycar is at Mid-Ohio, why can't IMSA be there?
Allegedly, they don't want to stretch the teams too far and all involved entities are happy with the current schedule size. Mid-Ohio lost out in the merger because both series' contracts ran out at the same point, but from what I hear it's on the top of the list of replacement venues should ANY current venue have to be dropped.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 22:09 (Ref:3662319)   #3754
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Drop Long Beach!

See, this why they need imsa jr., they can send that series to roval and street courses while the main series get to race at real tracks.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3662336)   #3755
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Drop Long Beach!

See, this why they need imsa jr., they can send that series to roval and street courses while the main series get to race at real tracks.
Rather keep Long Beach and drop Detroit if one had to go. I actually miss Baltimore. That was such a tight street circuit that the horsepower advantage the prototypes had over the GT cars was almost nulled out. Remember in the 2012 the Falken Porsche which won GT was 4th overall. Same thing for the Corvette in 2013 and they led overall at one point. But alas I now that event is gone.

2017 schedule reveal about 1 week away now!
Old 31 Jul 2016, 01:16 (Ref:3662344)   #3756
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Baltimore was terrible, and made bad television.

I understand Detroit, the sponsers probably wants them there.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 01:17 (Ref:3662345)   #3757
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Drop Long Beach!

Yes, drop one of the most lucrative venues on the schedule. Genius.

Whatever you may think of the track, far too many people like Long Beach to throw it out.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 07:56 (Ref:3662374)   #3758
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Baltimore was terrible, and made bad television.

I understand Detroit, the sponsers probably wants them there.
I find it massively ironic that the halo programmes for Corvette and Ford are both forced to miss the Detroit round that we (me included) assume is for the local manufacturers.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 08:46 (Ref:3662380)   #3759
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I find it massively ironic that the halo programmes for Corvette and Ford are both forced to miss the Detroit round that we (me included) assume is for the local manufacturers.
I've always said that and the stock reply I'm always given is both companies run DPs. As if the DPs are a match for the big works GT efforts that they spend so much money on trying to win Le Mans.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3662737)   #3760
Rcz
Veteran

United States
They should move the Detroit date to early May or early July. GTE needs to be there.

Long Beach is terrible, it's better then a frickin roval but that place is for Indy in mind. Well I say the mentally is for Indycars.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 02:23 (Ref:3662746)   #3761
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Yes, drop one of the most lucrative venues on the schedule. Genius.

Whatever you may think of the track, far too many people like Long Beach to throw it out.
Lucrative for whom exactly?
Old 1 Aug 2016, 05:06 (Ref:3662756)   #3762
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Lucrative for whom exactly?
Sponsors?
Old 1 Aug 2016, 12:10 (Ref:3662840)   #3763
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the Southern California car culture that keeps Long Beach an event. A lot of money in that region in general. Oh and just south over in places like Newport Beach are the Lamborghini, Ferrari and other exotic import dealerships
Old 1 Aug 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3662869)   #3764
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Big fan of the Long Beach event myself, would love to see it split like the Laguna Races, but not if that would take away the PWC slot.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3662898)   #3765
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Big fan of the Long Beach event myself, would love to see it split like the Laguna Races, but not if that would take away the PWC slot.
Yeah I don't think you can do that for Long Beach because of the packed schedule.

What would be nice is if Long Beach be an all GT race and for Detroit an all prototype race. Enough GTD teams and drivers (scuderia, weathertech, keating) do run Le Mans in LMP2 or GTE Am. You don't want them to fly from Detroit to Le Mans. So I'd say wipe out GTD from Detroit and move them to Long Beach.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3662899)   #3766
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
Sponsors?
I was going to say manufacturers.... but that wouldn't be accurate either. I guess, just the local economy. But, with or without IMSA. It's still going to be the same event.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Aug 2016, 18:24 (Ref:3662909)   #3767
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love Long Beach for IndyCars, not IMSA; it has always felt shoe horned into the weekend and odd in the first part of the season.

I thought Baltimore was kinda fun, minus boneheaded starts and trolley tracks.

I'd take Mid Ohio over both.

I guess Sonoma and Laguna are too close to do both. I don't know, the big one and rising sea levels may force the series away from LB soon enough.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3662910)   #3768
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I love Long Beach for IndyCars, not IMSA; it has always felt shoe horned into the weekend and odd in the first part of the season.

I thought Baltimore was kinda fun, minus boneheaded starts and trolley tracks.

I'd take Mid Ohio over both.

I guess Sonoma and Laguna are too close to do both. I don't know, the big one and rising sea levels may force the series away from LB soon enough.
If you gave me a choice between Mid-Ohio and LB.... M-O wins hands down.

Long Beach sucks as a venue for multi-class racing, and the "endurance" portion of it isn't a thing...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Aug 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3662922)   #3769
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
LB isn't even marketed as an endurance race.

Much like old IMSA, it's a mix of enduro and sprint events.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3662930)   #3770
Rcz
Veteran

United States
A 100 mile sprint for each category. Or would that take too long?

Either way the current schedule has too many large gaps and too little racing.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 20:31 (Ref:3662936)   #3771
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
***disclaimer*** I haven't been to the IMSA Long Beach race... but, from talking to team members, and photogs, this picture sums up what I'm told of the event.

Essentially, the stands are half empty, and most of the open wheel people disappear not too long after the start. While IMSA gets to claim the weekend number, how many people really watch this race at the track?

It isn't an IMSA event, so I doubt they can claim their normal sanction fee. They don't have all of their support events, so they've lost all of that revenue. So, in all probabilities, this isn't a lucrative event for IMSA themselves.

I guess the value is in piggybacking off of the weekend numbers, which is dubious at best.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 20:43 (Ref:3662939)   #3772
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've also never really like it being the undercard. The shared Mid-Ohio event some years back seemed like a shared event, but anything will be an undercard to IndyCar at LB unless F1 returns.

The 100 mile idea is a good one, but that's essentially what the Trans Am series did the last time there, as an undercard. There's also the issue that's been discussed several times with a distance race is that the TV timeframe isn't cut and dry. Fine for F1, Indy and NASCAR, but doesn't seem to bode well with sportscars anymore. It's why we haven't seen it and likely will not see a Road America 500 again.

The last two races at LB, if I'm honest, have entertained me, but I just wish they went elsewhere.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3662945)   #3773
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I've also never really like it being the undercard. The shared Mid-Ohio event some years back seemed like a shared event, but anything will be an undercard to IndyCar at LB unless F1 returns.

The 100 mile idea is a good one, but that's essentially what the Trans Am series did the last time there, as an undercard. There's also the issue that's been discussed several times with a distance race is that the TV timeframe isn't cut and dry. Fine for F1, Indy and NASCAR, but doesn't seem to bode well with sportscars anymore. It's why we haven't seen it and likely will not see a Road America 500 again.

The last two races at LB, if I'm honest, have entertained me, but I just wish they went elsewhere.
Was there ever a place where it did not feel that IMSA was an undercard race to Indycar when they shared? When the ALMS went to St Pete perhaps it was like that.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3662946)   #3774
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Was there ever a place where it did not feel that IMSA was an undercard race to Indycar when they shared? When the ALMS went to St Pete perhaps it was like that.
Yes. Mid Ohio, as I mentioned previously, but that's a matter of opinion and your opinion / point is valid.
Old 1 Aug 2016, 22:55 (Ref:3662949)   #3775
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
LB isn't even marketed as an endurance race.

Much like old IMSA, it's a mix of enduro and sprint events.
I know... but, traditionally multi-class racing is endurance...