Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Dec 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3597161)   #2401
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guess so joeb.

Anyhow, of course the bodykit is mandatory for OEMs, NASCAR doesn't want repeat of DPs (well they do but this is the only minor exception in list ) where no-one but Chevrolet botherd to bring up the external bodies... you know with Ford just slapping the engine to the Riley and effectively rebranding the package as Ford Ecoboost. They don't want zero efforts from manufacturers... they want sort-of efforts

Also "helps" in bopping the OEM cars separately from bare-body ACO legal Orecas and whatever... it's not like the engines are the only side this gang is controlling, and then there's aero wind tunnel too...

Last edited by Deleted; 11 Dec 2015 at 20:26.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 00:09 (Ref:3597209)   #2402
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I wasn't aware that the bodywork was compulsory. So a team would have to buy two sets of bodywork (three if there's a Daytona set too) if they want to run Le Mans. A team can't use an IMSA engine and normal P2 bodywork in IMSA.
What makes you think that running the OEM bodywork is compulsory? It only states that the OEM must also build bodywork to compliment an engine not that they must be run together.

L.P.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 00:33 (Ref:3597211)   #2403
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What makes you think that running the OEM bodywork is compulsory? It only states that the OEM must also build bodywork to compliment an engine not that they must be run together.

L.P.
Can be read in both ways...I disagree with your assesment. You may with mine/ours

Anyway... I doubt every chassis is gonna be able to acommodate whatever random engines and bodies anyway, OEM will make special deal with Riley or whomever (and maybe some another).

Furthermore if you're running say GM body, does anyone think they're gonna allow Alfa Romeo engine in it. Or GM body with Zytek spec engine. Or GM engine in mere Oreca standard body...

Last edited by Deleted; 12 Dec 2015 at 00:43.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3597267)   #2404
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Aston is an official series partner now. So that just leaves the Merc and McLaren's on the sidelines?

Good to hear

I'm guessing Aston paid in full, I can't see Kevin Buckler splitting the bill like Keating and Dodge did haha
Old 12 Dec 2015, 14:14 (Ref:3597299)   #2405
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Can be read in both ways...I disagree with your assesment. You may with mine/ours

Anyway... I doubt every chassis is gonna be able to acommodate whatever random engines and bodies anyway, OEM will make special deal with Riley or whomever (and maybe some another).

Furthermore if you're running say GM body, does anyone think they're gonna allow Alfa Romeo engine in it. Or GM body with Zytek spec engine. Or GM engine in mere Oreca standard body...
Since we haven't seen the official regs for 2017 yet we don't know for sure what will be allowed. Even if something is reported as the way it will be, the series can change its mind. That being said, I still think that if a team wants to run a off the shelf 2017 P2 in imsa they will be allowed. Whether or not they can switch the engine remains to be seen, but I think imsa might be keen to that. There is even still a chance for current P2's to be grandfathered for 2017 - especially for the early season enduros.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 14:21 (Ref:3597301)   #2406
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Since we haven't seen the official regs for 2017 yet we don't know for sure what will be allowed. Even if something is reported as the way it will be, the series can change its mind. That being said, I still think that if a team wants to run a off the shelf 2017 P2 in imsa they will be allowed. Whether or not they can switch the engine remains to be seen, but I think imsa might be keen to that. There is even still a chance for current P2's to be grandfathered for 2017 - especially for the early season enduros.
I would bet a $1 or 2 that the DP's are still going to be allowed for the 2017 Rolex 24 for purely logistical reasons (but I think they will be a second or two off the pace). There are a lot of P2's that have to be developed, built, and tested over the next year and the time-frame is pretty crunched.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3597302)   #2407
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I would bet a $1 or 2 that the DP's are still going to be allowed for the 2017 Rolex 24 for purely logistical reasons (but I think they will be a second or two off the pace). There are a lot of P2's that have to be developed, built, and tested over the next year and the time-frame is pretty crunched.

They have already said the P2s will be grandfathered for at last one year as in ELMS and Asia, but not DP's (yet).
Old 12 Dec 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3597308)   #2408
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
They have already said the P2s will be grandfathered for at last one year as in ELMS and Asia, but not DP's (yet).
But it would not surprise me if the current DP';s are given a waiver to be eligible to compete just for the 2017 Daytona 24 only. To give the teams more time to get the DPI cars ready for Sebring in March. Gives them that extra 2 month window.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3597322)   #2409
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
But it would not surprise me if the current DP';s are given a waiver to be eligible to compete just for the 2017 Daytona 24 only. To give the teams more time to get the DPI cars ready for Sebring in March. Gives them that extra 2 month window.
That would make the Daytona 24 look like a second class event if the new cars are not there. I don't think IMSA is going to let that happen. Not at their home.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3597353)   #2410
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That would make the Daytona 24 look like a second class event if the new cars are not there. I don't think IMSA is going to let that happen. Not at their home.

DPs home?
Old 12 Dec 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3597355)   #2411
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the DPis are supposed to be faster, I don't care if the old DPs are grandfathered in, as long as the new cars aren't made slower the the older ones can compete
Old 12 Dec 2015, 22:48 (Ref:3597376)   #2412
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DPs home?
IMSA's home. It's the biggest race of the year to them.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3597401)   #2413
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/12448...ms-series-exit

Nissan has left the Conti series, will now focus on the PWC and smaller grassroots programs.

Guess this means we won't see them in the main series anytime soon as well :\
Old 13 Dec 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3597503)   #2414
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
IMSA's home. It's the biggest race of the year to them.

Yes, I know, but it is also the DAYTONA prototype's home. Remember we are dealing with GA/NASCAR thinking here. In their minds it could well be a fitting glorious goodbye to their magnificent creation!
Old 14 Dec 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3597731)   #2415
Jaguar4
Rookie

United States
Grand Rapids, MI
Jaguar4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I know, but it is also the DAYTONA prototype's home. Remember we are dealing with GA/NASCAR thinking here. In their minds it could well be a fitting glorious goodbye to their magnificent creation!
The same thinking that allowed the Porsche 911 RSR to win overall right? If your so called GA/NASCAR thinking was remotely the same as you're suggesting that never would have happened.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3597739)   #2416
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar4 View Post
The same thinking that allowed the Porsche 911 RSR to win overall right? If your so called GA/NASCAR thinking was remotely the same as you're suggesting that never would have happened.
You're completely right on this. They did allow the 911 RSR to win by insisting on having such garbage Continental tires on the prototypes!
Old 14 Dec 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3597748)   #2417
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mazda has retained its 4 drivers from last year, but renumbered their 07 car to 55 in homage to their le mans winning car. No word if the livery will accompany that homage...
Old 14 Dec 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3597749)   #2418
Deleted
Veteran

Maybe that's hint towards LM entry.

Or just thing for 25 yr anniversary.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3597815)   #2419
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
You're completely right on this. They did allow the 911 RSR to win by insisting on having such garbage Continental tires on the prototypes!

Everyone makes a mistake now and then, but ... it wasn't DAYTONA!
Old 15 Dec 2015, 16:59 (Ref:3597968)   #2420
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Scuderia Corse double class effort confirmed, NAEC for GTLM. One would also expect a LM24 campaign (with or without an IMSA 'invite at large'?)

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/sc...-gtd-programs/
Old 15 Dec 2015, 19:26 (Ref:3597990)   #2421
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Maybe that's hint towards LM entry.

Or just thing for 25 yr anniversary.
The engine that Mazda is running this year is not P2 ACO legal
Old 15 Dec 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3598008)   #2422
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
'Waivers may be granted by the Endurance Committee'...
Old 16 Dec 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3598230)   #2423
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Exceptions will be made for IMSA cars.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Dec 2015, 03:00 (Ref:3598279)   #2424
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Not a chance. Not this year (2016) at least.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 03:29 (Ref:3598283)   #2425
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sage Karam to race alongside Pruett in the Lexus. Debut expected in May (possibly Laguna Seca) according to motorsport.com