Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:04 (Ref:897053)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumachers parting comment.

I would like to draw your attention to Michael Schumacher's final comments at todays post race press conference on why he's still in F1.

" I love the sport, I love the fight....."

What Fights that then Michael?

Last fight we saw you in was with Sato in Japan, and it you didn't enjoy that very much.

Finishing 20 odd seconds ahead of your team mate does not constitute as a fight.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:08 (Ref:897057)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a fight until Rubinhos brake pads waved bye-bye.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:14 (Ref:897063)   #3
alesi95
Veteran

I think you've deluded yourself into believing Barrichello's allow to attempt any kind of overtaking move.
Can you imagine the look on Todt's face if Barrichello had a look inside Michael? I think top brass would quit.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:15 (Ref:897064)   #4
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alesi95 sounds like you are jealous
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:33 (Ref:897079)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There WAS a fight - it was just a very uneven one where the rest either messed up or were not able to keep up
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:38 (Ref:897084)   #6
alesi95
Veteran

Ive nothing against MS i just don't like being treated like a fool.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:38 (Ref:897085)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see anything rong with that quote at all - It is true. My main problem is with the interviewer who can't come up with an original question other than the dull retirement one. Do they not listen to what he says.

As for a fight. Well looking at today it isn't Michael's fault that no one is up to the task.

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Mar 2004 at 14:39.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:39 (Ref:897086)   #8
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Are you really Mr T?
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:42 (Ref:897092)   #9
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Some "wacky" idiot australian interviewer asked Kimi, who was signing autographs, what he had learnt this weekend. Kimi turned around and replied after a brief pause, "...not much...", and then he carried on signing autographs with a wry grin.

Reminds me of Hakkinen. Subtle but funny...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:49 (Ref:897097)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
As for a fight. Well looking at today it isn't Michael's fault that no one is up to the task.
Amen brother!

Stop looking at Michael so much, and start looking at his competition!

As for his comment, totally appropriate! The guy is a warrior...
Old 7 Mar 2004, 14:56 (Ref:897103)   #11
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1) There was a fight for the pole.

2) He was obviously speaking from a broader perspective than one race. He loves the fight to be the best, and he loves it all the more because he succeeds. He also gave thanks to the Ferrari team, which was certainly apropos.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:03 (Ref:897110)   #12
alesi95
Veteran

1) it was a dull race and i don't blame the interviewer for asking rubbish questions.

2)Villeneuve/Arnoux = fight
Ferrari + Schumacher + Contracts = no fight

If you guys trully believe what you saw today was a fight may i suggest you turn your attention away from F1 and watch Moto Gp or Formula Ford or dare in reduce the snobish values of F1 and suggest the hillbilly hick world of Nascar.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:04 (Ref:897111)   #13
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
unless everyone is prepared for a repeat of 2002 the competition had better up their game and bring the FIGHT to ferrari....
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:10 (Ref:897120)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
unless everyone is prepared for a repeat of 2002 the competition had better up their game and bring the FIGHT to ferrari....

here, here. And I'm looking squarely at Michelin here.
It's no good saying that the weather conditions didn't suit Michelin today. It's their job to make everyday a Michelin day.

How many times in the past have we seen Michelin get trounced in the wet and then do nothing to counter it. It was only at Indy laast year that they admitted that they had to do something.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:29 (Ref:897134)   #15
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one problem is that many have believed all the pre 2004 season hype: Ferrari will struggle; McLaren have a fast car; Williams new radical tusks super fast pace; Michellins are the best tyre etc. All the talk about Ferrari hiding during testing - has made yesterday much more enjoyable
But rest assured Ferrari will not think the season is over, neither should you.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 15:37 (Ref:897139)   #16
alesi95
Veteran

Again very true. But the teams mentioned are hardly new to this and simply shouldn't believe the hype.
Mclaren were honest and said that they had problems, Renault expected to take a while to get theyre engine up to pace.

It's Williams that upset me, It seems to me that Montoya is a typically racer in the style of Alesi, Peterson and to a lesser extent G Villeneuve and isn't that great at perfecting set up and will drive round problems. Ralf is just an oddity and needs a kick up the rear to get him working properly, Usaually along the lines of being tols "You are not your brother, get to work."
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:04 (Ref:897168)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if he didnt have the desire... than he wouldnt have been as quick as he was today.... so basically i think he has a lot of fight left in him... and i am no MS fan
Old 7 Mar 2004, 16:13 (Ref:897175)   #18
BoatOwner
Rookie

BoatOwner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what he said in the press conference was "honest."
He said it the way he feels. He truely loves and enjoys the sport.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 17:06 (Ref:897214)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
Ferrari + Schumacher + Contracts = no fight
I think that this has little to do with the comment made in the press conference.

I think Michael was referring more to say the opening lap of Monza last year...
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
If you guys trully believe what you saw today was a fight may i suggest you turn your attention away from F1 and watch Moto Gp or Formula Ford or dare in reduce the snobish values of F1 and suggest the hillbilly hick world of Nascar.
No there wasn't much of a fight today. But then that was the fault of Williams, McLaren et al. And as for watching other series I do and enjoy loads of them. In a lot of ways there are more no fighting situations in them too.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:43 (Ref:897336)   #20
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps - a fight to look excited - there was the usual somewhat stiff and staged punches of the air at various points on the way to the podium - like you have to do of course - contrast that to Alonso for whom this is all new stuff and I reckon you could sense sheer delight
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:09 (Ref:897356)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
There was no real fight between Rubens or Michael, I would doubt, and nor should there be once it is clear the task is to finish.

It is the first race of the year, on top of this the new one-engine affair and such like. You are going to make things as simple and straightforward as possible, in order to get the result. I doubt if another team would really do much different.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:23 (Ref:897366)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Schu prob expecting that he will have to fight and that this race was stonger than everyone else because Ferrari as usual turned up better prepared!

He said after qual that he expected to be strong in Aus' but not sure about next few races (they'll be lot hotter!)I'm not sure how much difference in pace was down to car or tyres? The race was run in cooler or overcast conditions which suit Bridgstone more than suit Michelin?

I'm gonna wait until Malaysia before writing the season off. I think that we'll still see Michelin cars have the advantage in sticky hot conditions, I certainly hope so anyway!

Separate note, McLaren in serious trouble....car no good whatever tyres they might be running!

Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:47 (Ref:897380)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, the first race is something unique. There are broad observations that can be seen, but it is too ear by some to make any real conclusion.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:52 (Ref:897385)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The "fight" for the championship is more than one race. Give the guy a break and look at the big picture. He probably wasn't thinking about today. More about the championship.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:55 (Ref:897387)   #25
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer

Separate note, McLaren in serious trouble....car no good whatever tyres they might be running!

What the hell is going on?
Mclaren haven;t launched a car in two years and this year launched it very early so they should of had plenty of time to come across and fix problems. What have they been doing for two years? scratching their arses? to be fair the car was revving a lot lower than the other engings to make it to the end of the race so maby Merc has a lot to answer for.