Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2022, 10:38 (Ref:4118162)   #76
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I hope everyone understands that I'm not at liberty to mention anything further about the incident excepting that we were all ok, so was Zhou, and despite quibbling over minimum weight of cars they are bloody heavy (and hot!) when you're one of three people using your own weight to hold it vertically against the fence!

What wasn't shown on TV, obviously, was the application of years of experience by a group of people who "play with racing cars" at weekends. I'm really proud of the way the team handled it - from Dr Ian Roberts down to the bloke doing his second Grand Prix. That was a very complex extrication!
Fantastic job Graeme, well done to you and all concerned.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 11:15 (Ref:4118165)   #77
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hope everyone understands that I'm not at liberty to mention anything further about the incident excepting that we were all ok, so was Zhou, and despite quibbling over minimum weight of cars they are bloody heavy (and hot!) when you're one of three people using your own weight to hold it vertically against the fence!

What wasn't shown on TV, obviously, was the application of years of experience by a group of people who "play with racing cars" at weekends. I'm really proud of the way the team handled it - from Dr Ian Roberts down to the bloke doing his second Grand Prix. That was a very complex extrication!

You and your team clearly did an outstanding job.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 11:22 (Ref:4118170)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No surprises there. The British Marshals always do a spectacular job and are the high standard that other countries aim to be like
Old 4 Jul 2022, 11:24 (Ref:4118171)   #79
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Pre-halo the roll hoop needed to be taller to give the clearance for the drivers head if the car ended up upside down (there used to be an imaginary line drawn from the top of the roll hoop to the front of the cockpit - the drivers head had to be under that line.). With the halo in place the drivers head is already protected so the airbox doesn't need to be as strong so high up any more.

This is something that all competitors are grateful for - when we go and compete we know that if something does go wrong we've got the best people available to help
It was actually a long time ago that the driver's head had to clear that particular line.At least twenty five years ago the requirement was that the helmet had to be 50mm below the line.

I think the marshals did a fantastic job and I hope the rest of the world takes note of how well it can be done.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 11:26 (Ref:4118172)   #80
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think, in this incident, the fact there were three badly damaged cars meant they stopped the minimum distance from all three - yes, there was running involved but if they'd come all the way to Zhou's side it would have delayed getting to Albon. I am only presuming here, though, as I was also running!
That's great Greem, thanks. With all of the focus being on Zhou at the time, I'd forgotten about Albon's position too.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 12:06 (Ref:4118182)   #81
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
As an (possibly-ex ) racer, I've long had unmitigated admiration for the Orange Army, and would add my thanks and applause for Greem and all the team involved in helping our racing go ahead in relative safety.

One thing that did occur is that we have over the years heard complaints about trackside fencing interfering with viewing and photography.........I think we can agree that without it we would have been contemplating the outcome of an appalling disaster, and doubtless calls for the cessation of our sport.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 12:43 (Ref:4118189)   #82
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
As an (possibly-ex ) racer, I've long had unmitigated admiration for the Orange Army, and would add my thanks and applause for Greem and all the team involved in helping our racing go ahead in relative safety.

One thing that did occur is that we have over the years heard complaints about trackside fencing interfering with viewing and photography.........I think we can agree that without it we would have been contemplating the outcome of an appalling disaster, and doubtless calls for the cessation of our sport.
Yes, absolutely right. As one of those who have moaned a fair bit about the view from my lens being 'blighted' by debris fencing, I have to accept that when you see an accident like that one, you have no problem accepting that it is wholly necessary....
Old 4 Jul 2022, 12:59 (Ref:4118191)   #83
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hello everyone

Trust me - given I was holding Zhou's car against the fence - that the red flag flew for the crash. The protesters, although a nuisance, chose their timing very poorly indeed.

That accident was the most extreme and violent I've seen close up, and I've seen a few. When I saw the thumb up from one of the team I was very relieved indeed. And then we needed to stabilise the car to let the extrication team do their thing. Outcome: favourable, although I expect he'll feel a bit sore tomorrow!

I definitely didn't have "car lands behind barrier" on my bingo card.
Good on you and all the Marshalls. It would be fascinating to read how you all dealt with the extraction having seen the rather distasteful photo on ESPN with the poor Guy still in the car. Maybe Autosport or MN could run something.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 13:14 (Ref:4118192)   #84
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Well, that was fun.

People were rightly concerned and asking about Zhou, but are there any updates on Albon, who was sent to hospital?

The protesters could not have picked a worse time to glue themselves to the track or have their sit on, or wahterever it was that they were doing, as it seemed to have absolutely no impact on anything in the end and generated no air time at all. I only found out that it happened by accident.
No doubt if the WOKE BBC had had cameras there it would have been all over their platforms Good on Liberty for denying them the Oxygen of publicity There is a time and a place and that wasn't it Mind you I find it funny they probably had to pay to get in.....
Old 4 Jul 2022, 13:44 (Ref:4118198)   #85
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Good on you and all the Marshalls. It would be fascinating to read how you all dealt with the extraction having seen the rather distasteful photo on ESPN with the poor Guy still in the car. Maybe Autosport or MN could run something.
Bear in mind that where Zhou landed is the classic first corner photographer location, so they were all there already. None of the photos were published anywhere until well after it was known he was in good health.

That said... the photo rather clearly illustrated the lack of space. Three of us forced the car back up to near vertical by heaving ourselves against the armco and bodywork/tyres, which gave the doctors and extrication team room to work. They then carried out a fairly slow but reasonably standard extrication, excepting the fact everything was 90 degrees out of whack! Once he'd been lifted onto the tyrewall and the scoop stretcher, we could carefully lower the car back down and start the next phase:

"How the hell do we lift this?"

A bit of ingenuity from the team, and soon we had it on the flatbed.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 13:58 (Ref:4118199)   #86
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Bear in mind that where Zhou landed is the classic first corner photographer location, so they were all there already. None of the photos were published anywhere until well after it was known he was in good health.

That said... the photo rather clearly illustrated the lack of space. Three of us forced the car back up to near vertical by heaving ourselves against the armco and bodywork/tyres, which gave the doctors and extrication team room to work. They then carried out a fairly slow but reasonably standard extrication, excepting the fact everything was 90 degrees out of whack! Once he'd been lifted onto the tyrewall and the scoop stretcher, we could carefully lower the car back down and start the next phase:

"How the hell do we lift this?"

A bit of ingenuity from the team, and soon we had it on the flatbed.
Incredible
Old 4 Jul 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4118224)   #87
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Congratulations from me also, Greem, for your role in making sure Zhou Guanyu was out of the car safely after that horrible accident. Seeing the car go over the barrier like that was also a reminder that marshals are risking their lives just as much as drivers for our entertainment.

Out of interest, was this the most serious accident you have been involved in?
Old 4 Jul 2022, 18:57 (Ref:4118249)   #88
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most serious? No, as there were no injuries.

Most violent, extreme and tricky to manage? I think yes, probably!
Old 4 Jul 2022, 19:25 (Ref:4118251)   #89
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Also, interestingly, the race wasn't red flagged due to Zhou. It was track invaders on Wellington Straight. The first race control message was Yellow Flag in Sector 2, before the cars had arrived. Then Yellow Flag in Sector 1 for the accident. Then Red Flag less than 5 seconds after the accident begun - which was triggered by the marshals on the Wellington Straight.

Onboards from the cars on F1TV showed the protestors on the left hand side of the track by the time the cars got there, at significantly reduced speed.
There is some phone video footage on the Internet at the moment.
In the video, you can see the red flags / lights being displayed before the protestors reach the track.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 20:09 (Ref:4118253)   #90
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Most serious? No, as there were no injuries.

Most violent, extreme and tricky to manage? I think yes, probably!
Also just like to say well done Greem and all concerned. Without you marshalls dedication and clear thinking in high pressure and stressful situations, motorsport could never function properly.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 20:35 (Ref:4118257)   #91
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Also just like to say well done Greem and all concerned. Without you marshalls dedication and clear thinking in high pressure and stressful situations, motorsport could never function properly.
I can't say it better, so I am just agreeing with the above.

Richard
Old 5 Jul 2022, 02:31 (Ref:4118268)   #92
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for sharing your experiences Greem (& doing a clearly great job on the day) - the 10/10ths "man on the spot" reporting is greatly appreciated.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4118284)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Well done to you and your colleagues Greem, it's times like this when the value of you wonderful bunch of orange clad volunteers can really be appreciated.
Seconded.
Old 5 Jul 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4118287)   #94
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Seconded.
+1 more
Old 5 Jul 2022, 18:00 (Ref:4118355)   #95
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
amazing work done by you and your fellow marshals Greem!

if there is somewhere i can make a donation or add to a fund that helps you guys continue to do what you do please let me know!
Old 6 Jul 2022, 08:40 (Ref:4118394)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
When I first saw photos of the protesters, I initially thought they were on the Hangar Straight, which is bad enough, only to find out they were on the Wellington Straight, just as the cars were heading down there. Zhou's accident really was a blessing in disguise in that respect. I shudder to think what would have happened had the cars still been racing, especially if someone had an incident similar to Kimi in 2014

Frankly I have no sympathy for the protesters. I hope they get the book thrown at them. Doing it at a football match is one thing, it's a nuisance nothing more, but to do it on a live race track is beyond stupid. Racing is dangerous enough without unnecessary risks caused by idiots like that. Someone ought to show them 1977 Kyalami...
Old 7 Jul 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4118556)   #97
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
What were they actually protesting about?
Old 7 Jul 2022, 15:03 (Ref:4118557)   #98
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
What were they actually protesting about?

Just Stop Oil. Same lot who have been gluing themselves to paintings.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...ate/index.html
Old 7 Jul 2022, 16:34 (Ref:4118568)   #99
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Just Stop Oil. Same lot who have been gluing themselves to paintings.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...ate/index.html
Chop their bloody fingers off. That will stop them.
Old 7 Jul 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4118586)   #100
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Chop their bloody fingers off. That will stop them.
Or just leave them there. I don't see why the gallery authorities should be responsible for unsticking them.