Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Apr 2022, 00:33 (Ref:4106594)   #1
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2022 HI-TEC OILS BATHURST 6 HOUR

The sixth running of the Bathurst 6 Hour takes place this weekend.

With seventy entries and no virtual safety cars, no code 60, etc expect the real safety car to feature in the fight for a podium finish.

Nevertheless the entry list is filled with some of the best drivers in the country and and a huge variety of cars in terms of marques and performance.

Who will win?
Old 13 Apr 2022, 15:10 (Ref:4106683)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

Who will win?
I'll take a punt on it wont be SVG.....

(Best wishes for Shane to have a swift and full recovery)
Old 14 Apr 2022, 00:45 (Ref:4106752)   #3
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Ambrose is driving,, so Ambrose.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 05:55 (Ref:4106764)   #4
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ambrose and Miedecke out, Mustang has electrical gremlin according to Speedcafe.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 06:21 (Ref:4106767)   #5
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meh...he'll still manage a podium.

(Bugga...just read the news)
Old 14 Apr 2022, 07:20 (Ref:4106777)   #6
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Meh...he'll still manage a podium.

(Bugga...just read the news)
I find it rediculous they couldnt sort an electrical gremlin with all the Techs they have available to them.
Old 14 Apr 2022, 10:46 (Ref:4106807)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
I find it rediculous they couldnt sort an electrical gremlin with all the Techs they have available to them.
And being a Ford dealer himself.. service department should have been able to sort it..
Maybe the car is.. slooooooow…
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Apr 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4106825)   #8
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And being a Ford dealer himself.. service department should have been able to sort it..
COuld have rewired the car overnight, surely !
Old 15 Apr 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4106914)   #9
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You have never worked on a modern car and had to diagnose the electronics. My son does electronic diagnosis for a living and even the major Japanese brand he works for can't diagnose some problems at head office level. I am serious here, some think that computer diagnosis is simple and straight forward but some issues take days and weeks to diagnose. Modern wiring harnesses cost thousands for each harness and there are quite a few harnesses in each car before you even begin to look at components and the problems they cause.
Old 15 Apr 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4106922)   #10
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite a few cars with electrical gremlins were parked in a lot at a Toyota dealer in Brissy recently. Not able to be moved to higher ground in time. Terrible luck for those owners.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Apr 2022, 00:57 (Ref:4106967)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You have never worked on a modern car and had to diagnose the electronics. My son does electronic diagnosis for a living and even the major Japanese brand he works for can't diagnose some problems at head office level. I am serious here, some think that computer diagnosis is simple and straight forward but some issues take days and weeks to diagnose. Modern wiring harnesses cost thousands for each harness and there are quite a few harnesses in each car before you even begin to look at components and the problems they cause.
And, back at first principles, you identify the 20 things it could be, in components, and change them out one at a time, try again, to eliminate them as the source of the failure.

If the Mustang is a standard production car, wouldn’t pulling one off the dealer lot and facilitating this method of error elimination produce the desired result?
Old 16 Apr 2022, 07:23 (Ref:4106979)   #12
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And, back at first principles, you identify the 20 things it could be, in components, and change them out one at a time, try again, to eliminate them as the source of the failure.

If the Mustang is a standard production car, wouldn’t pulling one off the dealer lot and facilitating this method of error elimination produce the desired result?
As I said you have never worked on a modern motor car and your response shows that. You should get a job as a electronics expert in a dealership and show everyone what they are doing wrong as you obviously know more than the guys who do it for a living.
Old 16 Apr 2022, 11:52 (Ref:4106996)   #13
Mr X
Rookie

Mr X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How many laps of the race track do you do before you are satisfied the each problem is solved.
Surely as an expert you would have an exact answer.

Last edited by Mr X; 16 Apr 2022 at 11:58.
Old 16 Apr 2022, 12:13 (Ref:4106998)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not electrical (as in swap components) but electronic. It's not unusual for production car systems to become upset/confused in racing conditions, the same thing (effectively) happened with the BMW's when they started racing 15 years ago, plus others. Eg I can think of the A45.

That said I'm surprised they don't have the Mustang sorted out, but I suppose any racing in the US either doesn't start with a standard road car or rewires everything from scratch with standalone ECU etc.
Old 16 Apr 2022, 19:30 (Ref:4107014)   #15
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Being a Ford you have to reprogram the replacement modules using Ford IDS software too.

For the most part you can't just swap modules in a CANBUS car, but rather you have to reprogram them to the vehicle.

A good auto-electrician who can backprobe and read CANBUS (digital) signals is invaluable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
the same thing (effectively) happened with the BMW's when they started racing 15 years ago, plus others.
Here's a BMW that refused to start because the door handle had a short circuit. Naturally it made sense to Hans who assumed the door handle would never become faulty, and hence it was perfectly reasonable for Hans to require a signal showing the door handle wasn't being opened as a condition for the car to start!

The video also gives a good example of the kind of diagnostics that can be carried out on a typical modern CANBUS vehicle with dozens of modules (there is nearly a module for every little feature the vehicle has, of course not all relevant for the drivetrain), and the digital signals that travel between the modules.

Sure, the good ol' test light it still invaluable too, but in the case of the BMW it went through multiple workshops before it reached someone who knew what they were doing.

Conversely, some car owners seem to place too much faith in the onboard diagnostics and think fault codes would give all the solutions, which is obviously not correct either.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 16 Apr 2022 at 19:59.
Old 17 Apr 2022, 01:32 (Ref:4107021)   #16
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pole sitter relegated to rear of field due a technical infringement.
Old 17 Apr 2022, 01:43 (Ref:4107022)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Pole sitter relegated to rear of field due a technical infringement.
Puts the Begg/Russell/Morris car to pole, with car owner Mr Begg starting..
Old 17 Apr 2022, 06:37 (Ref:4107028)   #18
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Being a Ford you have to reprogram the replacement modules using Ford IDS software too.

For the most part you can't just swap modules in a CANBUS car, but rather you have to reprogram them to the vehicle.

A good auto-electrician who can backprobe and read CANBUS (digital) signals is invaluable!

Here's a BMW that refused to start because the door handle had a short circuit. Naturally it made sense to Hans who assumed the door handle would never become faulty, and hence it was perfectly reasonable for Hans to require a signal showing the door handle wasn't being opened as a condition for the car to start!

The video also gives a good example of the kind of diagnostics that can be carried out on a typical modern CANBUS vehicle with dozens of modules (there is nearly a module for every little feature the vehicle has, of course not all relevant for the drivetrain), and the digital signals that travel between the modules.

Sure, the good ol' test light it still invaluable too, but in the case of the BMW it went through multiple workshops before it reached someone who knew what they were doing.

Conversely, some car owners seem to place too much faith in the onboard diagnostics and think fault codes would give all the solutions, which is obviously not correct either.
The internet trumps actual workshop experience and someone people actually believe that electronic diagnosis in modern cars is simple when sometimes the manufacturer cannot diagnose problems without going to a lot of trouble. Simply put mister GTR you don't have a clue.
Old 17 Apr 2022, 07:19 (Ref:4107029)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The internet trumps actual workshop experience and someone people actually believe that electronic diagnosis in modern cars is simple when sometimes the manufacturer cannot diagnose problems without going to a lot of trouble. Simply put mister GTR you don't have a clue.
In your opinion. Which just happens to be not aligned with reality. Yet it remains your opinion. I never said it was simple, nor impossible. It needs thorough root cause review. But why let possibility get in the way of giving up.

In the meantime, a 2.24 with 5 1/2 hours up on the Hill/Sargent BMW is MEGA!