Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 May 2022, 08:21 (Ref:4108736)   #1
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WAU To Ford???

Whoa, speedcafe reporting WAU to Mustang for Gen3

Are they feeling jilted by GMSV?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 3 May 2022, 10:02 (Ref:4108745)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Ford Performance press conference this Friday apparently to announce…. Something..

Might make sense of the interest in preparing the Grove team’s engines..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 May 2022, 10:05 (Ref:4108746)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A Ford Performance press conference this Friday apparently to announce…. Something..

Might make sense of the interest in preparing the Grove team’s engines..
If that is true you would suggest Ford just got their wallet out. GMSV seems to have slighted WAU for 888 despite the existing relationship

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 3 May 2022, 10:30 (Ref:4108748)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where to for Erebus then?
Want Mr Ryan in the press saying they wanted to remain a customer of WAU?
Old 3 May 2022, 11:18 (Ref:4108755)   #5
Madbugger
Rookie

Australia
Madbugger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that’s big.

they were the 2nd last team that I thought would jump ship to Ford

Welcome home Chaz
Old 3 May 2022, 11:30 (Ref:4108758)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Story Here
Old 3 May 2022, 12:19 (Ref:4108766)   #7
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW - Understandable

But what a sad day for historical holden peeps
Old 4 May 2022, 01:04 (Ref:4108837)   #8
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fox Sports need to proof read their stories:Currently 16 drivers pilot Mustangs compared to just nine in the Commodore
Old 4 May 2022, 06:39 (Ref:4108844)   #9
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
But what a sad day for historical holden peeps
The same story as Pontiac enthusiasts (or Mercury enthusiasts on the FoMoCo side) I suppose.

A darn shame that WAU weren't able to put a package together for an extra brand. The commercial and technical package of the ATCC must have big problems if it is so difficult to present a compelling case to auto brands.
Old 4 May 2022, 06:59 (Ref:4108847)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The same story as Pontiac enthusiasts (or Mercury enthusiasts on the FoMoCo side) I suppose.

A darn shame that WAU weren't able to put a package together for an extra brand. The commercial and technical package of the ATCC must have big problems if it is so difficult to present a compelling case to auto brands.
A lack of potential customers may have also been a drawback
888 is able to support its design, engineering and production facilities off the back of the customer chassis and ongoing parts and engineering support...

If the Erebus Benz experiment proved anything.. a lone wolf solution is not the path to success..
Old 4 May 2022, 09:14 (Ref:4108858)   #11
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Those manufacturers who still manufacture V8s won't for much longer, so the appeal to any new manufacturer isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If the Erebus Benz experiment proved anything.. a lone wolf solution is not the path to success..
Not helped by the Ford / Holden cartel doing their level best to make sure the new manufacturers weren't successful.

Although some appear to be in shock, ever since GMSV shunned WAU in favour of Triple Eight, the writing was on the wall. Much like it was inevitable that Triple Eight would become a Holden team after being ditched by Ford. Of the nine teams that have been around for more than a couple of seasons, only DJR and Tickford have not changed manufacturer in the last 15 years, so it's nothing new.
Old 4 May 2022, 13:55 (Ref:4108890)   #12
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Those manufacturers who still manufacture V8s won't for much longer, so the appeal to any new manufacturer isn't there.Not helped by the Ford / Holden cartel doing their level best to make sure the new manufacturers weren't successful.
That's why it is critical that Gen 3 embraces six cylinder turbos, or possibly four cylinder turbos with a hybrid system.
Old 5 May 2022, 03:18 (Ref:4108933)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
That's why it is critical that Gen 3 embraces six cylinder turbos, or possibly four cylinder turbos with a hybrid system.
The GR Yaris has 3 cylinders... why not that...
Old 6 May 2022, 04:32 (Ref:4109018)   #14
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SO now its official.

Always was HRT to us old timers.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/06...ord-confirmed/

Still a sad day but understandable.
Old 6 May 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4109091)   #15
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Still a sad day but understandable.
Zak Brown throwing the shade:

Quote:
Ford’s support of Supercars is unquestionable
Ouch!
Old 7 May 2022, 01:28 (Ref:4109105)   #16
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
ever since GMSV shunned WAU in favour of Triple Eight, the writing was on the wall.
I would say the writing was on the wall since Holden sacked H
Old 7 May 2022, 10:54 (Ref:4109128)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Walkinshaw referenced something in his WAU manifesto about the Holden factory deal ‘…was taken away from us…’ yet gleefully ignores the winless streak at the time and the overall mid pack running…

What does ‘factory support’ mean in the brave new Gen3 world?
Old 7 May 2022, 11:33 (Ref:4109134)   #18
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or put another way why is it so critical to cling to a format that is clearly on its death bed world wide. Embrace the future and change the format or cling to the old one. The old one worked for a specific circumstance but that era is gone and it could be said that SC is now propping up a format that has a limited life span.
Each approach has its proponents but only one has a future in this fast changing world. Mercedes are pulling the V8 out of their halo premium car for a reason and it is not because they want to.
Old 9 May 2022, 00:08 (Ref:4109300)   #19
Squalled
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Squalled should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd totally start watching the sport again if they had a variety of engine configurations. I mean, they've spent the last few years making the 5.4 Ford and 5.7 Chev engines honestly indentical in terms of power and torque and not to mention the power and torque curves so I have no doubts they could do they same for other engine configurations.

On topic, although it is sad to see the old HRT now WAU move from GM, they have lacked support for years so I don't blame them. I'll be supporting the team no matter what seeing as the cars have no relevance to me in my opinion and I follow drivers these days, albeit not that close as I find Supercars racing a bit lack luster at times.
Old 9 May 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4109338)   #20
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalled View Post
I'd totally start watching the sport again if they had a variety of engine configurations. I mean, they've spent the last few years making the 5.4 Ford and 5.7 Chev engines honestly indentical in terms of power and torque and not to mention the power and torque curves so I have no doubts they could do they same for other engine configurations.

On topic, although it is sad to see the old HRT now WAU move from GM, they have lacked support for years so I don't blame them. I'll be supporting the team no matter what seeing as the cars have no relevance to me in my opinion and I follow drivers these days, albeit not that close as I find Supercars racing a bit lack luster at times.
And it took them how long to match the motors? Turbo and naturally aspirated motors have entirely different characteristics and I doubt anyone could get the same torque and power curve out of a turbo 4 against a NA V8.
Old 9 May 2022, 23:22 (Ref:4109483)   #21
Squalled
Rookie

Australia
Sydney
Squalled should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
And it took them how long to match the motors? Turbo and naturally aspirated motors have entirely different characteristics and I doubt anyone could get the same torque and power curve out of a turbo 4 against a NA V8.
And that's probably why they'd rather not go down that route, I mean I believe it is possible but the amount of money and time they'd need to invest it probably won't yield the return they're after anyway.
Old 10 May 2022, 05:01 (Ref:4109495)   #22
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I don't think you need to mirror the curves between two engines. Surely you could match the area under the torque curve and use the rev limit to control top end hp.

The alternative approach is to use homologation and performance matching as GT3 does, quite successfully.
Old 12 May 2022, 03:40 (Ref:4109704)   #23
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
The alternative approach is to use homologation and performance matching as GT3 does, quite successfully.
Let's just leave GT3 out of this discussion...they have their own issues as well, but not worth trying to compare apples with oranges in this discussion.
Old 12 May 2022, 11:38 (Ref:4109732)   #24
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I am saying is that they have painted themselves into a corner with engines, and GT3 might have problems but theirs is a different methodology that is worth looking at in developing answers.
Old 12 May 2022, 12:29 (Ref:4109739)   #25
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I don't think you need to mirror the curves between two engines. Surely you could match the area under the torque curve and use the rev limit to control top end hp.
No, not possible and absolutely impractical. You only have to look at the debacle Nissan/Mercedes turned into and they were V8's but had different engine architecture. After that little lesson what manufacturer would even try and consider using a different architecture motor. I repeat the question above, how long did it take to make the two current motors reasonably close?