Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Mar 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2647282)   #1
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal hurt at Yarmouth Stadium.

A marshal was hurt a yarmouth yesterday, I've read on another forum his leg injuries are life changing. I will update this thread when and if i hear more.
The accident involved ministox so drivers under 16.

The below taken from Yarmouth Mercury:

Quote:
A fire engine and ambulance crews were called to Great Yarmouth Stadium this morning after a two car collision during a race practice session left one person with leg injuries.

The accident happened on the stadium's racetrack about 11.20am - two hours before gates were due to open to public at the Yarmouth Road site for a race afternoon involving superstox, stock cars and ministox cars.

Emergency services were at the scene for an hour as the casualty was taken to hospital and Yarmouth based-firefighters made the area safe.

The oval track at Yarmouth stadium is 327m long and also holds greyhound racing.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2647526)   #2
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
according to article below leg injuries not as bad as some people first thought.

Quote:
Inquiry into Yarmouth stock car race crash

ANTHONY CARROLL

Last updated: 08/03/2010 12:56:00
The organisers of a stock car and supertstox meeting at Great Yarmouth in which a marshal was injured during a two car collision on Sunday have launched an inquiry into incident.

Spedeworth International, which is based in Aldershot, is looking into the circumstances of the crash on the 327m long track at Yarmouth Stadium on Yarmouth Road.

The marshal was taken to hospital with leg injuries, which are not believed to be serious, after the accident happened at about 11.20am during a race practice session.

The track was closed for an hour while firefighters made the area safe.

Yesterday a spokesman for Spedeworth said the company would spend the next few days investigating the accident.

The spokesman also said the company's thoughts went out to the marshal that was injured
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2647598)   #3
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to our local radio the man has had his leg amputated.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2647606)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best wishes to the chap involved, I must admit having been to quite a few Stock Meetings I'm not completely surprised, the Marshal s aren't as protected as events run under MSA permits.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2647613)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awful news, my best wishes to the marshal concerned.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2647714)   #6
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval2 View Post
according to our local radio the man has had his leg amputated.
It appears this is now confirmed the below was taken from another forum and posted by a friend of the injured marshal.

Quote:
hi all im a mate of dave kemp (dipsey) he has lost his leg from below the knee broke 2 ribs and has a plate in his wrist he is sitting up and talking now, it happend when a ministox hit the post, dave was waving the red flag most had slowed down dave jumped the fence to check on the driver then another driver didnt see the flag went wide to avoid hitting the stopped cars then hit dave
Old 8 Mar 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2647733)   #7
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Best wishes to the chap involved, I must admit having been to quite a few Stock Meetings I'm not completely surprised, the Marshal s aren't as protected as events run under MSA permits.
I am the same, there doesnt seem to be any standards in stock car marshalling. admit to having my heart in my mouth when seeing them deal with incidents, yet the stockie fraternity think that BRISCA and ORCI do a better job than the MSA, they dont have proper rescue units like we do, the fire marshalling is a joke have seen them using CO2. Watching the stockies is an experience alright

best wishes to the injured lad,
Old 8 Mar 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2647791)   #8
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
jesus....not nice at all, makes you think big time about stepping out on the race track no matter what the conditions. i just hope lessons are learnt from all this, were all in this game to have fun and have jobs to go to on monday morning. my thoughts go out to the marshal.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2647798)   #9
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
I am the same, there doesnt seem to be any standards in stock car marshalling. admit to having my heart in my mouth when seeing them deal with incidents, yet the stockie fraternity think that BRISCA and ORCI do a better job than the MSA, they dont have proper rescue units like we do, the fire marshalling is a joke have seen them using CO2. Watching the stockies is an experience alright
I think that these comments are unfair if you are generalising from what you may have seen, at Knockhill?
I have been an X Obs for 25 years and an ORCi/BRISCA Steward for 12 years with Spedeworth/Incarace, so feel qualified to reply to your harsh comments.
Every year all short circuit staff are rigorously trained and now examined pre season at training days. I have been to training days where we have had input from MSA trainers in fire and rescue. Incarace have all the necessary cutting gear and because of the nature of the sport it gets used fairly often and skillfully in experienced hands. (Those circuit marshals that attended the last Incarace meeting at Mallory Park and the extraction of Des Chandler will know what I mean.)
The marshals are not supposed to 'go down' until it is deemed safe to do so, under cover of full circuit waved yellows/reds (an instruction I always give over the radio, when in my opinion, all cars have sufficiently slowed to a safe speed). As we don't know the facts for this tragic incident, perhaps it would be unfair to comment further.
My sympathy and good wishes go out to the injured marshal and to all concerned with this dreadful incident.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 06:41 (Ref:2647940)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Dave, I agree with you in so far as we shouldn't generalise and should wait to see the report on the incident before making too many comments. Like everyone else I wish the injured chap the very best in the very unhappy circumstances.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 07:09 (Ref:2647945)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My sympathies to the marshal concerned and all those involved, what a horrible accident.

I'd suggest if there is a need for a discussion about the differences in marshalling style etc., someone opens up a new thread so that this one remains as good wishes for the injured marshal and doesn't get mixed up with the discussion.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 07:17 (Ref:2647946)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed, please keep this thread purely to express your sympathy for the marshal concerned.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 07:17 (Ref:2647947)   #13
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a local to GT Yarmouth my best wishes to the marshal and every one concerned. Stock car track like Yarmouth are very tight and enclosed spaces you do not have the space and although these are mini stocks can be on you very quickly.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2647975)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Can anyone give me hospital details by PM so that I can write to him direct?

Many thanks
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2648204)   #15
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not a good start to the year Deepest sympathy and best wishes to the marshal involved and his family.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2648236)   #16
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish Dave Kemp the fullest recovery posible
Old 9 Mar 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2648294)   #17
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Extremely upsetting for all of us. We're all marshals, irrespective of the discipline, and I know the entire marshaling fraternity wishes him the fullest and speediest recovery possible in these difficult circumstances.
Phil
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2648345)   #18
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shocking news and a harsh reminder of how dangerous our 'hobby' can be.

Best wishes to the injured marshal & his loved ones
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2648384)   #19
dave cam
Rookie

England
Long Eaton,Nottingham
dave cam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best wishes to the injured marshal and his loved ones, our thoughts are with you.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2648386)   #20
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear the news, I wish Dave a speedy recovery and that he can adapt his life easily with his injuries.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2648390)   #21
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best wishes mate...
Old 10 Mar 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2648752)   #22
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best wishes for as best an outcome as possible.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2650583)   #23
Maranello Man
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
Maranello Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any marshal injured in our sport, no matter how inocuously or in this case seriously, deserve all our full support which ever race back ground we come from. The reports can come later and for the meantime the main priority is the recuperation and care for this chap.
All our best wishes are with you Dave.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2650601)   #24
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extremely sad news, wishing you all the best.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2650645)   #25
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best wishes to Dave and also to his loved ones

Mark