Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jul 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2258653)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan Gow said before race 3 that it was the biggest BTCC crowd at Oulton for 10 years.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2258715)   #27
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thinking more about this, and considering TOCA / the circuits don't tend to announce crowd figures, it's a bit co-incendental this has come when the WTCC is in the country.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2258718)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think its the promoters who ahve any say in the tv thing

More like the sponsors, they pretty much run motor racing these days!

Looked like a good crowd at Oulton, but perhaps only average at Brands, full circuit though so hard to judge

Certainly not a patch on BSB or WSBK
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2258725)   #29
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Thinking more about this, and considering TOCA / the circuits don't tend to announce crowd figures, it's a bit co-incendental this has come when the WTCC is in the country.
Toca/BTCC haven't boasted about/released attendance figures for a few years, so the cynic in me thinks it's related to the WTCC clash. Any news on the Brands crowd? It looked fairly full..?
Old 28 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2258781)   #30
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
TL, that was my thoughts exactly. Gow has even said in the past that he doesn't comment on attendance figures as TOCA are not in a position to release them.

I thought his comments in the recent press release about next year's calendar to be a bit petty as well : "By confirming our dates and venues in July, other major motor sport organisers now can plan their own events and avoid too many clashes with the BTCC - or at least be aware of where and when the BTCC will be headlining at venues close to them.” No suggestion that they should speak to or co-operate with other big series, just 'here's our dates, live with it'

Brands crowd is always deceptive as you can't see how many people are on the GP loop, but it certainly looked to be less than the equivalent BTCC meeting.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2258784)   #31
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Brands and the crowd was ok, smaller it seemed tho than the BTCC round earlier this year. There was no queue to get in, and the crowd seems quite thin, granted there may have been more on the GP loop, but not that much more.
But then again the STUPID positioning of tall advertisment boardings in prime viewing locations did spoil the view for those of us wanting to spectate on the down slope from druids........
Simon
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2258968)   #32
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had never been to a WTCC event before, and my son wanted go, so Brands it was. It's very unlikely I would have travelled up to Oulton Park this year for the BTCC

Anyway I think the crowd was on a par, if not slightly better that some BTCC meetings, the weather of course helped. Lots of trade stands, my son enjoyed the WTCC stand that had he WTCC game on PC's, a full grids worth of PCs. Two goes, geting pole both times, finished 3rd and 1st respectively

Because of TV schedules the two rounds were held back to back, with a very short gap between the two races, it must have been about 2.30 and it was all over!

After race two we left, and got home in time to see watch a recording of the 2 races we had just seen and then watched the 2nd and 3rd race from Oulton Park.

I did not enjoy WTCC as much as BTCC and wont be going again.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2259008)   #33
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
so avoiding date clashes to me (when your audience in this country is probly less than 2 million) seems futile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
But surely at least 1.5 million of those 2 million BTCC viewers would also watch F1?
The highest viewing figures the BTCC has had this year is 258,000, which was the first round at Brands.

FYI, WTCC normally only gets about 60,000 viewers in this country per event (not including the highlights on Eurosport or ITV4)
Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2259018)   #34
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real shame you left (as did many others) after the two WTCC races, the Seat Cup was a brilliant race! Much better then the UK ones and even the Formula Master was eventful.
I thought it was a good meeting, with some brilliant racing.
Simon
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2259037)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The audience figure I was using was the rough estimetae of people who have Sky in the UK, not an actually viewing figure.

I fully realise that nowhere near that many people would watch a BTCC race.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2259081)   #36
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
The highest viewing figures the BTCC has had this year is 258,000, which was the first round at Brands.

FYI, WTCC normally only gets about 60,000 viewers in this country per event (not including the highlights on Eurosport or ITV4)
Its a lot more than that!
You seem to have forgotten the ITV1 highlights and the repeats on ITV4 etc. per event.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2259149)   #37
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
Its a lot more than that!
You seem to have forgotten the ITV1 highlights and the repeats on ITV4 etc. per event.
I wouldn't say a lot more, but with the highlights included each meeting probably gets a maximum of 500,000 viewers.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2259152)   #38
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I really doubt somewhat that the televsision audience for F1 ebven knows what touring cars are to be honest!

They are not on mainstream toomuch anymore so I would imagine in most layman cases they ahve fallen off the radr to passing fans.

There is little proof that people who watch F1 watch anything else. They might follow a driver perhaps, but the majority are only interested in F1, so avoiding date clashes to me (when your audience in this country is probly less than 2 million) seems futile.
Where's your proof of that, then?
Old 28 Jul 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2259188)   #39
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't say a lot more, but with the highlights included each meeting probably gets a maximum of 500,000 viewers.
LOL...even if your numbers were right, which are double the original figure quoted, then they are very obviously a "lot more" !
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2259352)   #40
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Brands had an audience of 411,000 for the live coverage on ITV4, and a further 263,000 for the three showings of the highlights, making a total of 674,000.

Rockingham had fewer live viewers (327,000) but a higher total (732,000).

Donington had 693,000; Thruxton 644,000; Croft 691,000 and Snetterton 908,000.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2259490)   #41
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
You're right, it was the extra ballast that was introduced prior to Brands last year not the 'no points' rule. However the suggestion that it was brought in just to stop the regulars from being embarrassed still stands.
The Extra Ballast rule has applied since the beginning of the WTCC for anyone who is not a season-long entry (and still applies). The intention is to try and prevent late-season extra cars from being used as lightweight blockers, stopping championship contenders from other teams scoring points... the 'unguided missile' effect seen over the years in other championships

Turkington's car was not homologated to FIA S2000 regs (sequential 'box). It was allowed to race (like the Volvo in Sweden last year and the C30 in Brands) but not score points of take Race 2 pole, so as to add some interest but not adversely affect the championship
Old 29 Jul 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2259695)   #42
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Brands had an audience of 411,000 for the live coverage on ITV4, and a further 263,000 for the three showings of the highlights, making a total of 674,000.

Rockingham had fewer live viewers (327,000) but a higher total (732,000).

Donington had 693,000; Thruxton 644,000; Croft 691,000 and Snetterton 908,000.
I guess that you have access to the more in depth figures from BARB as I was only using the public ones which are on their site, I assume not these are not peak figures but averages or something.

Sorry for any confusion I caused, frankly I was surprised myself that the rating I quoted were so low yet ITV continued to put a decent budget towards it's coverage, I assumed they could not stop because of contracts that are already in place.

Do you know how many viewers WTCC gets from its live and highlights broadcasts?