Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Nov 2001, 04:19 (Ref:168219)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road Atlanta

I have heard things around about a sportscars race at Road Atlanta in 95 i think, and it was a bad race. Just wondering if anyone could expand on this.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 17:49 (Ref:168892)   #2
Dereck Bennett
Rookie

Dereck Bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you mean by "bad"? Bad driving? Bad officiating? Bad track conditions? Bad attendance? This is my home track and my curiosity about your question got the better of me.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 19:27 (Ref:168929)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Road Atlanta

The result can be found here:
http://www.wspr-racing.com/results/imsa/imsa1995.html#3
...if that's any help.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 20:34 (Ref:168942)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was this the race where one of the prototype cars collided with a lesser class car and was stranded on the backside of the hill and before the safety crews could get out the caution it was struck full on by another car at high speed. If I remember correctly it ended several drivers careers from the resulting fire. The was also a lawsuit but I have no idea the final result of it.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 20:54 (Ref:168957)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this, by any chance, Fabrizio Barbazza's last race?
Old 2 Nov 2001, 22:06 (Ref:168978)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe he was one of the drivers involved. The name rings a bell. If I remember right it was a clash between a Porsche 911 GT2 and a Ferrari 333SP.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 20:04 (Ref:169370)   #7
Dereck Bennett
Rookie

Dereck Bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, it is coming back to me now. We were unlucky to witness the accident referred to by cybersdorf. It was indeed bad. If memory serves me correctly, a GT Porsche lost it and hit the tires protecting the embankment between the then turn 12 and the start/finish line. The prototypes could take this turn flat out at more than 100mph. Tires went everywhere and this is where I can't remember who hit whom. In any event, a prototype driven by either Barbazza or Jeremy Dale spun also trying to miss the Porsche and the tires and stopped sideways on the track. Another prototype T-boned him at high speed. The driver of the second prototype obviously had his vision obscured or was distracted by the tires, the flags, or the Porsche because he only braked at the last instant. The accident ended the careers for both Barbazza and Dale, not because of fire, as I recall, but for Dale with leg injuries and Barbazza with life-threatening leg and internal injuries. The whole incident only lasted seconds but it seemed like minutes at the time because we could see what was going to happen before it occurred. Dale today is a commentator for motor-racing on TV but I have no idea what became of Barbazza. Both drivers had above average skills, in my opinion, for sports car racers, which makes it doubly unfortunate.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 20:33 (Ref:169380)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck Bennett
Dale today is a commentator for motor-racing on TV but I have no idea what became of Barbazza.
Yes, it is strange - he utterly disappeared after this crash. I have often thought about him; nobody seems to know what has become of him.