Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3789627)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s The Latte Latte Delta Tea Break 2018

Happy New Year to everyone. I or someone sensible, will unlock this thread on 1st Jan 2018.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3789630)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Happy New Year to everyone. I or someone sober, will unlock this thread on 1st Jan 2018.
I fixed that for you.

Err, it’s not locked..... yet.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3789631)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, is it locked, then?
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3789632)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Drat, Mike beat me to it by a second or so!
Old 29 Dec 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3789636)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm funny because it told me it was locked.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 06:28 (Ref:3790077)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, seems I was up and about first.....

Happy Birthday to Max (midgetman) and to FastDB2s, both among the massive list of tenthers celebrating today. Quite a few 116yr olds on the list, which is impressive and encouraging!
Old 1 Jan 2018, 07:43 (Ref:3790080)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you Is the old thread locked now?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Jan 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3790081)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am here now.
Bauble.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3790082)   #9
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I am here now.
Bauble.
Early to bed, early to rise, was it Bob? Did you catch the worm?

Happy New Year all, and Many Happy Returns to Midgetman. Hope you make up for lost time in the pub!
Old 1 Jan 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3790083)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I am here now.
Bauble.
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

Happy New Year all.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3790088)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Happy and Healthy 2018 to all. And Happy Birthday midgetman.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3790090)   #12
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess the big question of the day is is Delta in the doghouse this morning??
Old 1 Jan 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3790094)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Me and Mrs Delta wish everyone a happy new year . I'm just off out on the bike now ,managed three very nice puddings last night . all good in Delta house . We are being taken out tonight for dinner, Delta Daughter and Delta Daughters boy friend . Guess I will still have to pay . 😀.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3790096)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Glad you all had a great time.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3790100)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Happy birthday Midge, remember a birthday is only time passing, not a milestone. Er. How many milestones is it?

Enjoy the day,

Bob
Old 1 Jan 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3790101)   #16
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Happy New Year to all.

In the UK the Old Year seemed to go out in some blazes of glory. When was the last time an entire multi-storey car park was engulfed? More flats too.

Let's hope this is not a trend that continues into 2018. I could foresee our Iain's plans being disrupted by conscription to the fire service owing to his past experience. As I understand things the wise people in control have decided fires are things of the past these days and cut staffing levels. They may need help!

Some of the local firework displays last night looked like they too had the potential to result in unplanned incendiary activity. Hopefully they were all incident free.

Have fun everyone. Especially Max and anyone else blessed with a Jan 1 birthday.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3790111)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some of the local firework displays last night looked like they too had the potential to result in unplanned incendiary activity. Hopefully they were all incident free.

The Beeb is reporting that a public display in Australia had an malfunction last night, and the lot went up at once.

Brings back memories of the 70s and 80s. A friend and I went through training to put on public displays which we held on Fireworks Night to raise money for charity. The training was given by the Kimbolton School Chaplain, the Rev Ron Lancaster, a pyrotechnical wizard who used to actually make and supply fireworks from bunkers in the school grounds. His enterprise used to supply many of the public displays such as the ones held on NYE on the Thames in London and for the Royal celebrations.

Most big displays are fired electronically, and are set up hours in advance often on scaffolding erected for the purpose. Those like Ron are so enthralled by fireworks that they hold competitions amongst themselves to produce the best displays. On one occasion, one competitor used an outside contractor to set up the display on the scaffolding as they were unable to be there in person. The problem was that the contractor used nails that were too long for the wood backing that was then attached to the scaffolding.

I'm sure that the reader is already knows what happened. Suffice to say that a 15 minute display went up in about 10 seconds when the first firework was fired.
Old 1 Jan 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3790128)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The Beeb is reporting that a public display in Australia had an malfunction last night, and the lot went up at once.

Brings back memories of the 70s and 80s. A friend and I went through training to put on public displays which we held on Fireworks Night to raise money for charity. The training was given by the Kimbolton School Chaplain, the Rev Ron Lancaster, a pyrotechnical wizard who used to actually make and supply fireworks from bunkers in the school grounds. His enterprise used to supply many of the public displays such as the ones held on NYE on the Thames in London and for the Royal celebrations.

Most big displays are fired electronically, and are set up hours in advance often on scaffolding erected for the purpose. Those like Ron are so enthralled by fireworks that they hold competitions amongst themselves to produce the best displays. On one occasion, one competitor used an outside contractor to set up the display on the scaffolding as they were unable to be there in person. The problem was that the contractor used nails that were too long for the wood backing that was then attached to the scaffolding.

I'm sure that the reader is already knows what happened. Suffice to say that a 15 minute display went up in about 10 seconds when the first firework was fired.
Ah, so you met Rev. Ron.

Chaplain and Chemistry teacher.

His son is an MP. You probably knew that already.

Fun things, firework displays.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3790283)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was reminded when paying an RFL on the w/end that credit card surcharges haven’t been kicked into touch yet. £2.50 charge on an £18 payment is criminal! But fear not, the new law comes in during this month, so hopefully anything needing to be taxed from then will not incurr the fee....

I will be checking
Old 1 Jan 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3790112)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
In the UK the Old Year seemed to go out in some blazes of glory. When was the last time an entire multi-storey car park was engulfed.
My first thought when the beeb suggested all the parked cars would be beyond repair was whether there were any valuable classics in it at the time. As it’s the middle of winter, hopefully not......
Old 1 Jan 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3790119)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
It's still New Year's Day, and the 'Tea Break' is off the ground with the usual eclectic mix of posts. 2018 promises much.
Old 2 Jan 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3790387)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Happy New Year to all.

In the UK the Old Year seemed to go out in some blazes of glory. When was the last time an entire multi-storey car park was engulfed? More flats too.

Let's hope this is not a trend that continues into 2018. I could foresee our Iain's plans being disrupted by conscription to the fire service owing to his past experience. As I understand things the wise people in control have decided fires are things of the past these days and cut staffing levels. They may need help!

Have fun everyone. Especially Max and anyone else blessed with a Jan 1 birthday.
I wonder how many people had very expensive cameras, phones, watches etc in their cars when they caught fire? The insurance claims may need careful reading!!

I also saw with astonishment and disgust that a number of dogs had been left in cars. Some were rescued ok from the top deck next day, but are we sure that idiots didn't leave dogs in their cars on other floors? No one expects a car park fire but who in their right mind keeps a dog in a locked car for several hours, even in the cool of winter or at night?

It's not been a good period with animals trapped in fires at several locations. Appalling.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 01:42 (Ref:3790393)   #23
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I wonder how many people had very expensive cameras, phones, watches etc in their cars when they caught fire? The insurance claims may need careful reading!!
I had the same thought but then wondered how many people really consider their personal property insurance.

My car policy covers a nominal 2 or 300 quid iirc.

My household policy is not huge either for personal effects away from the home.

Now if claiming against someone else's policy one might, in the past, have gone largely unchecked.

These days I'm not so sure. The companies will likely disclose to each other the details of level of cover.

It's probably safe to assume that 99% of car insurance companies (or at least underwriters) will have a "position" in the carpark fire. That alone is likely to suppress discussion and limit the potential for trying to game the system.

It could become a very interesting blame game. I wonder if we will ever hear the complete story?
Old 3 Jan 2018, 05:14 (Ref:3790402)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would also be interesting to know how many of the cars were insured.
Old 3 Jan 2018, 07:14 (Ref:3790408)   #25
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

I also saw with astonishment and disgust that a number of dogs had been left in cars. Some were rescued ok from the top deck next day, but are we sure that idiots didn't leave dogs in their cars on other floors? No one expects a car park fire but who in their right mind keeps a dog in a locked car for several hours, even in the cool of winter or at night?

It's not been a good period with animals trapped in fires at several locations. Appalling.
Some years ago I was advised not to leave anything at all in my car when parking in Liverpool one day - and that was by a local!
Closed Thread