Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jan 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3873923)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
BENTLEY DRIVERS CLUB

Worth a visit just to see a wall to wall display of Bentleys, from pre-war to specials to Conti GTs......

Includes Bentley only races and Morgan Challenge. Also possible CMMC involvement.
Old 27 Jul 2019, 07:00 (Ref:3919529)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking forward to this Meeting, my favourite of the year. A truly friendly, relaxed, informal atmosphere. Lots of Bentleys as you would expect, Fiscar, Morgan Aero Challenge, and much more, and some fascinating machinery in the paddock.
The perfect antidote to the hassle, and crowds of the Classic.

If you are competing let us know and we will try to get a snap or two.

Cheers,

Bauble.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3920436)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thought as I’ll now be at the meeting it would be a good idea to find a timetable, but........ Regardless, it will be a very early start.

Bit of info here- https://www.bdcl.org/news-and-events...lverstone-2019
Old 30 Jul 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3920454)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.silverstone.co.uk/wp-con...able-Final.pdf
Old 31 Jul 2019, 04:31 (Ref:3920482)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks, brands! Silly me, I thought the BDC possibly would have published it....
Old 31 Jul 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3920545)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks, brands! Silly me, I thought the BDC possibly would have published it....
Much of the charm of the meeting is it's lack of sophistication, glitz and glamour, just an old fashioned club event. Back in the fifties a group of us lads would cycle up from North London to this and similar meetings, and eagerly buy a programme to what was on and who was racing. We might not have gone if we knew what was in store before hand. Better to travel hopefully than arrive.

Out in a Morgan, Mike?

Uncle Moses.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 16:21 (Ref:3920557)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Much of the charm of the meeting is it's lack of sophistication, glitz and glamour, just an old fashioned club event. Back in the fifties a group of us lads would cycle up from North London to this and similar meetings, and eagerly buy a programme to what was on and who was racing. We might not have gone if we knew what was in store before hand. Better to travel hopefully than arrive.

Out in a Morgan, Mike?

Uncle Moses.
Yes, a red one... As I’ve bored everyone by telling previously, my first visit to this event was as riding mechanic to Jack Sears in his amazing 8 litre ‘Forrest Lycett’ Bentley Special. It was a fantastic early morning trip in August sunshine, and will never be forgotten... The event is everything you say, Bob, but with the added ‘ecentricity’ that only clubs like BDC and VSCC can produce!
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3920669)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell;3920557[B
]Yes, a red one... ;[/B]) As I’ve bored everyone by telling previously, my first visit to this event was as riding mechanic to Jack Sears in his amazing 8 litre ‘Forrest Lycett’ Bentley Special. It was a fantastic early morning trip in August sunshine, and will never be forgotten... The event is everything you say, Bob, but with the added ‘ecentricity’ that only clubs like BDC and VSCC can produce!

Well that narrows it down a bit.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3920677)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Well that narrows it down a bit.
Same car as last year, and in the TT again. Would like to win the new ‘Pushrod Trophy’ class for the owner......
Old 2 Aug 2019, 11:08 (Ref:3920813)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lovely old fashioned meeting. Will be there with FISCAR who have a reasonable grid of interesting cars boosted with some pre 64 cars. Hope to catch up with you Bob, John & Mike.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 2 Aug 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3920837)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Was it Geoffrey Palmer in Reggie Perrin that coined the phrase ‘Bit of a cock up on the organisational front?’

That’s what we’ve got this weekend. Thought the silence from Race organiser was a bid odd, but turns out they couldn’t find my emailed entry. After a while they confirmed they had it but I’m second reserve.

40 entries so I can live with that. I’m sure a couple of old bags of bolts will either fail to show or expire in Q- not that I would wish the latter on any fellow competitor.....
Old 2 Aug 2019, 21:29 (Ref:3920878)   #12
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apart from a wander through the garages we will be in our usual spot John.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3920943)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Done as much as I can, just got to wait now to see if I make off the reserve list and into the race.

P6 o/a, P2 in Techniques Trophy and first pushrod Morgan......
Old 3 Aug 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3920949)   #14
brands
Veteran

Some very odd grids in the later qualifying sessions, as is the norm for this meeting.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 12:34 (Ref:3920961)   #15
brands
Veteran

Not sure I can take much more of Russel Douglas taking total ******** as main commentator. Ruining this meeting.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3920966)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Not sure I can take much more of Russel Douglas taking total ******** as main commentator. Ruining this meeting.
Some things don't change.

Where's Ian Sowman when you need him?
Old 3 Aug 2019, 17:43 (Ref:3921008)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Done as much as I can, just got to wait now to see if I make off the reserve list and into the race.

P6 o/a, P2 in Techniques Trophy and first pushrod Morgan......
Fingers crossed for you Mike. Sounds like you deserve to get a run.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3921017)   #18
brands
Veteran

An electrical short at Woodcote away from being a perfect clubbie meeting.

I expect Mike's first lap was interesting
Good to catch up with John T
Old 3 Aug 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3921028)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
An electrical short at Woodcote away from being a perfect clubbie meeting.

I expect Mike's first lap was interesting

Good to catch up with John T
Sorry not to see JT during the day! Lots of lovely pre-war Bentleys in the paddock and could have spent all day looking round them, but had some racing to do. We also had a Spitfire doing circuits a couple of times, and the sound of the Merlin engine seemed appropriate to the meeting somehow!

The race. OK, the rule is that if you are still a reserve when you qualify, then the best you can hope for in the race (if someone drops out after Q) is to start at the back of the grid, which I did- 39th out of 39...... Standing starts are a bit of a novelty nowadays, but I love them and got a scorcher. Overtook 18 cars on the first lap, and at the end of the 20 min race was up to P11 o/a, and P4 in the 4cyl Morgan Techniques Trophy. Unfortunately the goal of the ‘Pushrod Cup’ wasn't within reach and I finished 10.5 secs behind the winner of that. Very disappointed, but two weeks running now I’ve started at or near the back of a grid, and had the most fun overtaking- not always on the track......
Old 3 Aug 2019, 23:56 (Ref:3921048)   #20
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sorry not to see JT during the day! Lots of lovely pre-war Bentleys in the paddock and could have spent all day looking round them, but had some racing to do. We also had a Spitfire doing circuits a couple of times, and the sound of the Merlin engine seemed appropriate to the meeting somehow!

The race. OK, the rule is that if you are still a reserve when you qualify, then the best you can hope for in the race (if someone drops out after Q) is to start at the back of the grid, which I did- 39th out of 39...... Standing starts are a bit of a novelty nowadays, but I love them and got a scorcher. Overtook 18 cars on the first lap, and at the end of the 20 min race was up to P11 o/a, and P4 in the 4cyl Morgan Techniques Trophy. Unfortunately the goal of the ‘Pushrod Cup’ wasn't within reach and I finished 10.5 secs behind the winner of that. Very disappointed, but two weeks running now I’ve started at or near the back of a grid, and had the most fun overtaking- not always on the track......
Glad you got a race Mike. Sounds like a fun one too.
Old 4 Aug 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3921094)   #21
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great meeting I thought. First time out in the Lister, and it was a hoot in the afternoon. The morning was more troubling. Odd ignition problem, which led me to spin at Luffield in Q3- bringing out the red flag as it wouldnt restart - sorry everyone.

If anyone has any photos from Race 3 of the Lister I would love a record of the first race in the car
Old 4 Aug 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3921095)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
Great meeting I thought. First time out in the Lister, and it was a hoot in the afternoon. The morning was more troubling. Odd ignition problem, which led me to spin at Luffield in Q3- bringing out the red flag as it wouldnt restart - sorry everyone.

If anyone has any photos from Race 3 of the Lister I would love a record of the first race in the car
I am sure I can oblige Geraint, although I have not downloaded my efforts yet, however, you may find that you are sharing the space with a pesky Morgan.

Bob
Old 4 Aug 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3921098)   #23
Geraint Owen
Racer

Quote:
I am sure I can oblige Geraint, although I have not downloaded my efforts yet, however, you may find that you are sharing the space with a pesky Morgan.

Bob
Thanks Bob. The first few laps were a lot of fun. I held him off until we got to the back markers. I had decided pre-race that I wasnt going to get into a situation of being competitive (aggressive?) through back markers. Not really worth it at the best of times, but certainly not in what was only a little mid summer run out in a new car.
Old 4 Aug 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3921110)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The Lister is lovely, Geraint! A real period piece, not new and shiny like some...... Very nice to see it on track.

Good that your Luffield parking in Q was due to a mechanical issue rather than contact with the Morgan that was parked in the gravel..... I was concerned.
Old 4 Aug 2019, 11:13 (Ref:3921111)   #25
Geraint Owen
Racer

I spun a long way back when the ignition "surged". I let the car roll backwards along the kerb of the exit trying to fire it up. I gave it several goes, but then the sight of cars coming around sideways under waved yellow heading towards me was enough. So out I jumped. The first I saw of the other car was when I got out!