Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2649400)   #976
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Last year could have been good for Dynamics had they not waviered around with James Thompson and signed him in Dec 08 after the test.
I completely agree with you there.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2649410)   #977
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
This is assuming Turkington wants to do the BTCC this year....
As I mentioned further up on the thread, the Turkington family are pretty well heeled and I would guess [don't know for sure of course] that they would be able to underwrite a GBP500K berth at WSR for Colin. It seems pretty clear now that Colin will have to find some or all of the funding for a seat in the 2010 championship. The question is whether the family would rather he find a paid drive some place else - an option I'm sure is open to him - over a 'pay for' drive in the BTCC. In other words what's in the fans best interest [i.e. Colin defending his title] may not be in Colin's or the family's best [financial] interests.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2649588)   #978
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
As I mentioned further up on the thread, the Turkington family are pretty well heeled and I would guess [don't know for sure of course] that they would be able to underwrite a GBP500K berth at WSR for Colin.
'Being able to' and 'wanting to' are very different things. Stephen Jelley's family could fund his BTCC career if they wanted to but chose not to this year, hence his 'Scoop Of' scheme. Trevor Turkington may be asking the question why he should continue to front the cash after his son won the championship. In an ideal world there should be sponsors lining up to back the defending champion but we know it's not as simple as that.

I think the question Craner Curves was asking was not does Colin want to continue in touring car but rather does Colin want to continue in BTCC. As James Thompson has proved there's life outside the BTCC, and Colin has previously said he'd like to look at ETCC/WTCC/etc.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2649674)   #979
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I think the question Craner Curves was asking was not does Colin want to continue in touring car but rather does Colin want to continue in BTCC. As James Thompson has proved there's life outside the BTCC, and Colin has previously said he'd like to look at ETCC/WTCC/etc.
He's also said he'd really like to stay in the BTCC with WSR.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2649675)   #980
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plato to stay with rml, in chevy cruzes.... rml hoping to secure works backing...
plato only staying as a works drive with volvo in BTCC fell through...
in todays autosport.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2649676)   #981
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will be nice to have Plato back this year, would be even better if Mat Jackson was still his team mate and then on top of that the works backing would be awesome
Old 11 Mar 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2649689)   #982
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Nice one! The Cruze should be a real force in BTCC this year.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2649709)   #983
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, but if we think Dynamics might be getting Honda backing, and WSR don't have a sponsor for Turkingtons car, could we see Turkington and Neal in Civics next year? Just a random thought really.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2649718)   #984
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
At this rate Turks will end up being linked with every team under the sun by the time we get to media day! :P
Old 11 Mar 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2649797)   #985
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
plato to stay with rml, in chevy cruzes.... rml hoping to secure works backing...
plato only staying as a works drive with volvo in BTCC fell through...
in todays autosport.
Shame that Volvo has decided not to enter.

The story going about last year was that Volvo were going to provide the cars, a truck / transport and all the PR, and the team were to find backing to finance the campaign. Sounds like much the similar was the case for this year.

I'm assuming it was Triple Eight that were looking to take on this deal?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2649814)   #986
Ben at AmD Essex
Rookie

Ben at AmD Essex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-top fan View Post
How much of the bodywork can you change within the regulations? I remember with the vectra's front bumper a number of road going versions had to be produced...
I think the main regulation is that it can only be a certain length longer than the original. So you can't have a huge splitter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
will it sound like a golf? hehe
sounds nothing like one! Its sounds immense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
Excellent blog. The front bumper does indeed look good.
Thanks! I looks pretty menacing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Another fan of the blog here, keep up the great work Ben & the others. It's involving enthusiasts like this that builds up a fanbase, well done!

I love the new frontbumper and can't wait to see it with all the bits in place. What's the reason behind the shape of the fender extensions by the way? I see the car has similar extensions to the Leon's and the STCC Audi A4's, with the backside of extension open instead of going all around it like for example the BMW's or the Ladas. Is this to prevent air from building up inside the fender?
Thanks, glad your loving the blog!

The reason behind them is because that is meant to be the most aero dynamic design. So its function over looks.

Another update today on the blog

http://www.amdessex.com/btcc.blog.cfm?pagenum=4

We have split the blog up in to pages too! As even with my being told not to be so trigger happy with the camera its still got loads of pics. So its abit easier on the down load now.

Unfortunatley, the trend of not having parts has continued and something rather important wasn't ready for today. The caliper brackets wern't completed in time so tomorrow is off. Hopefully next week now for the first test session.

We had the car running today in the workshop and its sounds amazing!
Old 11 Mar 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2649838)   #987
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about?
WSR
Turkington/Collard/Neat

Team Dynamics/Honda
Neal/Sheddon

AFM
Nick leason (Vectra)

RML/Chevy
Plato/McDowell
Old 11 Mar 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2649841)   #988
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
How about?

Team Dynamics/Honda
Neal/Sheddon

AFM
Nick leason (Vectra)
Are you on Drugs??
Old 11 Mar 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2649846)   #989
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would shedden want to go back to honda, knowing that he may be dropped after the first round again?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2649852)   #990
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben at AmD Essex View Post
I think the main regulation is that it can only be a certain length longer than the original. So you can't have a huge splitter!
I see. I guess that vauxhall were making their splitter too big, which is why they had to produce a road going version as well then!

Good luck this season as well- good to see you taking the time to respond to the fans
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2649906)   #991
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matt Hamilton's back, so that's another one to chalk up on the grid http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=4502
Old 11 Mar 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2649919)   #992
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good news Not someone I was really expecting to be back after reading the news on his site a couple of weeks ago !
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2650178)   #993
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its great news to have Matt back for sure. You have to love his optimism though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hamilton
I really think that the Civic has the potential to run consistent top tens, and occasional podiums. I know that I have to work hard on my driving; I still have very little experience of front wheel drive, and touring cars in general, but I know that with more seat time, I can threaten the front-runners.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2650232)   #994
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sheraton View Post
in todays autosport.
Is this confirmed now? The article on TCT only sais RML are trying to do this, but the plans are not final and that Plato would be at the top of the list (ie not yet confirmed as a driver even if plans work out).
Old 12 Mar 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2650254)   #995
Ben at AmD Essex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-top fan View Post
I see. I guess that vauxhall were making their splitter too big, which is why they had to produce a road going version as well then!

Good luck this season as well- good to see you taking the time to respond to the fans
Not sure about that to be honest.

Thanks for the luck we will need it! It's no trouble responding, I know I would like the same if I was on the other end of the line.

Just updated the blog too

http://www.amdessex.com/btcc.blog.cfm?pagenum=4

and a nice shot of the car

Old 12 Mar 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2650262)   #996
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Is this confirmed now? The article on TCT only sais RML are trying to do this, but the plans are not final and that Plato would be at the top of the list (ie not yet confirmed as a driver even if plans work out).
Plato isn't confirmed as such but the whole deal pretty much revolves around him being the lead driver so they can't confirm one without the other.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2650263)   #997
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The golf looks supurb.

Nice to see Matt Hamilton giving it a go for the full season.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2650275)   #998
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Golf looks great - big improvement on what I saw at Autosport, can't wait to see it out on track. And just to echo what others have said, it's great to get such an insight into what goes into a touring car build, I'm sure you've got yourselves a fair few fans by being so open and friendly - I know I'll be cheering you on come Thruxton.

Testing next week now I guess?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 13:09 (Ref:2650278)   #999
Ben at AmD Essex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The golf looks supurb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
The Golf looks great - big improvement on what I saw at Autosport, can't wait to see it out on track. And just to echo what others have said, it's great to get such an insight into what goes into a touring car build, I'm sure you've got yourselves a fair few fans by being so open and friendly - I know I'll be cheering you on come Thruxton.

Testing next week now I guess?
Glad you like the new look and yep it is a total transformation from when it first arrived.

Thanks again for the kind words and it is nice to hear we are getting a fan base.

Ben
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2650412)   #1000
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree as mentioned before about amd, count me in as a fan.