Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2017, 14:42 (Ref:3778362)   #2376
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could it be that the reason the larger players are complaining is because... it may not benefit them as much as it might the smaller fish? And ANY change to the spec (which will happen) will result in some level of additional cost. And given that the specifications seem to be to move to simpler solutions... I take some of the complaints with a grain of salt. Lastly... lots of complaints, what solutions are they offering up on their own?

Richard
Old 3 Nov 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3778375)   #2377
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Could it be that the reason the larger players are complaining is because... it may not benefit them as much as it might the smaller fish? And ANY change to the spec (which will happen) will result in some level of additional cost. And given that the specifications seem to be to move to simpler solutions... I take some of the complaints with a grain of salt. Lastly... lots of complaints, what solutions are they offering up on their own?

Richard
Renault's suggestion..

"Renault's proposal for six months now has been to keep the current engine but waiving any restriction in terms of fuel quantity, plus moving the fuel flow limitation and also the rev limit," added Abiteboul.

"The great thing about that proposal is you could do that without having to wait until 2021.

"The world is changing quickly; by 2022, a number of car makers will have moved to something that's more electrified than today, so I think the timing to decide now what we want for the period 2021 to 2026 is maybe not appropriate."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...risk-arms-race
Old 3 Nov 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3778394)   #2378
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Possible by 2021 formula-e may have overtaken f1 in terms of interest to Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault and they all may indeed quit
Old 3 Nov 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3778395)   #2379
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
It's Possible by 2021 formula-e may have overtaken f1 in terms of interest to Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault and they all may indeed quit
Would those three manufacturers want to run in a series with a spec chassis?
Old 3 Nov 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3778400)   #2380
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Would those three manufacturers want to run in a series with a spec chassis?
If all three opted to enter, could their influence open up the chassis regulations?

They all also are very active in the powertrain market.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3778403)   #2381
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If all three opted to enter, could their influence open up the chassis regulations?

They all also are very active in the powertrain market.
Is there anything to stop F1 going electric?
Old 3 Nov 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3778405)   #2382
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Is there anything to stop F1 going electric?
Only the mass switching off of its viewing audience who would choose to watch the World Paint Drying Watching Championship instead.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3778417)   #2383
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Renault's suggestion..

"Renault's proposal for six months now has been to keep the current engine but waiving any restriction in terms of fuel quantity, plus moving the fuel flow limitation and also the rev limit," added Abiteboul.

"The great thing about that proposal is you could do that without having to wait until 2021.
I am far from having experience in engine design, but I am a relatively intelligent person (or so I think! ) and I try to follow the "hows and whys" around the current F1 power unit spec including reading stuff posted by people who do this type of thing. My amature opinion is that... Abiteboul doesn't know what he is talking about.

My understanding is that much of these engines are very much optimized to generate as much power as they can given the constraints such as current maximum fuel flow limits, displacement and other key factors in the technical regulation. This generates side effects. Such as the engines tending to run below the maximum RPM limits because to run higher RPMs (and to make efficient power) you actually need a higher fuel flow rate than what is allowed. Additionally, I expect things like turbines and the entire ERS-H system is sized based upon the expected maximum flow through the engine. I think some of the combustion concepts "might" be optimized for the current RPM range.

Substantially increasing the flow rates (which will also push up the RPM range actually used) should result a number of changes to the engine. Particularly with anything related to moving gases in and out of the engine... which is quite a lot of stuff.

So... could you take the current engines and just increase flow rate and RPM. I am sure you could. Would it be an optimal solution given the new higher flow rate? I expect not. Would a manufacturer that does reengineer the solution for the new higher flow rate create a better solution? I expect so. And given how Mercedes has proven that showing up with an optimal solution is the way to win, who in their right mind would try to use the current solution without reworking it?

Any new spec that has substantial changes (and I can't see the new spec not having substantial changes given what the fans are looking for) will trigger a new arms race.

Is that not competition?

Richard
Old 3 Nov 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3778419)   #2384
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I am far from having experience in engine design, but I am a relatively intelligent person (or so I think! ) and I try to follow the "hows and whys" around the current F1 power unit spec including reading stuff posted by people who do this type of thing. My amature opinion is that... Abiteboul doesn't know what he is talking about.

My understanding is that much of these engines are very much optimized to generate as much power as they can given the constraints such as current maximum fuel flow limits, displacement and other key factors in the technical regulation. This generates side effects. Such as the engines tending to run below the maximum RPM limits because to run higher RPMs (and to make efficient power) you actually need a higher fuel flow rate than what is allowed. Additionally, I expect things like turbines and the entire ERS-H system is sized based upon the expected maximum flow through the engine. I think some of the combustion concepts "might" be optimized for the current RPM range.

Substantially increasing the flow rates (which will also push up the RPM range actually used) should result a number of changes to the engine. Particularly with anything related to moving gases in and out of the engine... which is quite a lot of stuff.

So... could you take the current engines and just increase flow rate and RPM. I am sure you could. Would it be an optimal solution given the new higher flow rate? I expect not. Would a manufacturer that does reengineer the solution for the new higher flow rate create a better solution? I expect so. And given how Mercedes has proven that showing up with an optimal solution is the way to win, who in their right mind would try to use the current solution without reworking it?

Any new spec that has substantial changes (and I can't see the new spec not having substantial changes given what the fans are looking for) will trigger a new arms race.

Is that not competition?

Richard
In short, you are very much correct with your assessment.

But - is it just opening up flow rate, or are we also talking about certain elements having to meet current specification, and is total fuel capacity proposed to change?
Old 3 Nov 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3778425)   #2385
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Only the mass switching off of its viewing audience who would choose to watch the World Paint Drying Watching Championship instead.
but the masses are already turning off
Old 3 Nov 2017, 23:40 (Ref:3778436)   #2386
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In short, you are very much correct with your assessment.

But - is it just opening up flow rate, or are we also talking about certain elements having to meet current specification, and is total fuel capacity proposed to change?
I am saying even if just increased flow rate and associated (and required) tank size increase to run race distance with higher flow rate.

While much of the engine spec is tightly controlled, there is still plenty of room for unique solutions (such as differences between the current manufacturers) within the current technical specifications. So I am saying his "simple" solutions would trigger significant work if you expect to be competitive. Tank increase alone is not inconsequential. Think of the existing tight packaging, increase in car weight, etc.

Richard
Old 4 Nov 2017, 00:26 (Ref:3778440)   #2387
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I am saying even if just increased flow rate and associated (and required) tank size increase to run race distance with higher flow rate.

While much of the engine spec is tightly controlled, there is still plenty of room for unique solutions (such as differences between the current manufacturers) within the current technical specifications. So I am saying his "simple" solutions would trigger significant work if you expect to be competitive. Tank increase alone is not inconsequential. Think of the existing tight packaging, increase in car weight, etc.

Richard
Interesting that the hybrid systems bring the real expense into F1, yet everyone is discussing modifying the engines.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3778490)   #2388
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
My understanding is that the engines can already rev higher than they do, but the drivers / teams choose not to because it wouldn't benefit them in terms of power band or fuel usage.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3778492)   #2389
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Isn't there talk of raising the engine speed limit by 3000 RPM? Despite the flow modifications that will be required for this the engines will need significant physical strengthening in order to hold together. The forces within the engine will increase dramatically!
Old 4 Nov 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3778507)   #2390
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Isn't there talk of raising the engine speed limit by 3000 RPM? Despite the flow modifications that will be required for this the engines will need significant physical strengthening in order to hold together. The forces within the engine will increase dramatically!
They will increase dramatically, but still be well within what is still very well known territory for a 1.6 v6 at 15.000rpm.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3778513)   #2391
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Interesting that the hybrid systems bring the real expense into F1, yet everyone is discussing modifying the engines.
Which circles back to... if even "simple" changes is likely to trigger rework and those simple changes may not really address some of the real issues (complexity and cost of ERS-H). Then why not use the new spec to fix multiple issues? I think Liberty's proposal is a quite practical.

I am also curious how much of this proposal has its roots in Ross Brawn's technical team?

Richard
Old 4 Nov 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3778598)   #2392
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why is it surprising that hybrid stuff takes a lot of development? There has been huge development of the engines over the last hundred or so years. The base technology in some the hybrid systems has been around as long, if not longer, but not developed to the wonderful extreme that the internal combustion engine has.

Good init?!
Old 4 Nov 2017, 20:36 (Ref:3778606)   #2393
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I may be a contrarian,but I fail to see the point of higher revving engines making more noise and burning more fuel.It gets even more bizarre if they further restrict the number of engines per season.By limiting the number of engines,it is essential to do yet more dyno testing to reduce the risk of failure or grid penalties and it also means that in season developments are much more widely spread as the engines are brought into use.

Can't Ross Brawn and his sidekicks do something a bit more creative?Perhaps losing DRS or if you are willing to permit moveable aerodynamic features why not allow a spec computer to run active suspension?It could mean eliminating the increasingly complex front wings and bargeboards that are now prevalent.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 21:03 (Ref:3778616)   #2394
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
That will happen anyway, once F1 is no longer FTA.
Old 4 Nov 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3778627)   #2395
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Can't Ross Brawn and his sidekicks do something a bit more creative?Perhaps losing DRS or if you are willing to permit moveable aerodynamic features why not allow a spec computer to run active suspension?It could mean eliminating the increasingly complex front wings and bargeboards that are now prevalent.
I believe that the proposal for a larger ERS-K system is to create a bit of a push to pass system. I can envision DRS will not go away until they have addressed the problem DRS tries to solve.

Regarding the active suspension idea, I championed something like that as well previously. Spec computer (to set level playing field for compute power), plus limit number of actuators and sensors. Should be a way to both level the playing field and reduce costs. However, I can imagine teams would be against it as they have legacy knowledge on how to optimize complex mechanical systems. It would invalidate the advantages enjoyed by the rich teams.

Richard
Old 4 Nov 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3778628)   #2396
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I believe that the proposal for a larger ERS-K system is to create a bit of a push to pass system. I can envision DRS will not go away until they have addressed the problem DRS tries to solve.

Regarding the active suspension idea, I championed something like that as well previously. Spec computer (to set level playing field for compute power), plus limit number of actuators and sensors. Should be a way to both level the playing field and reduce costs. However, I can imagine teams would be against it as they have legacy knowledge on how to optimize complex mechanical systems. It would invalidate the advantages enjoyed by the rich teams.

Richard
A push to pass system and DRS? With the new aero-kit, IndyCar are looking to do away with push to pass after next season. It never ceases to amaze me but if F1 can over complicate something, they will.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3778698)   #2397
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A push to pass system and DRS? With the new aero-kit, IndyCar are looking to do away with push to pass after next season. It never ceases to amaze me but if F1 can over complicate something, they will.
I can only speculate. I think they want to do away with DRS. Question is... will they swap it for another solution (push to pass), or phase one in and then phase the other out. I doubt they will have both at same time, but who knows?

Richard
Old 5 Nov 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3778737)   #2398
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Here's an idea from left field....what about slick tyres,a DFV engine and a wing on the front and the back?...
Old 5 Nov 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3778775)   #2399
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the manufacturers want to increase weight even further by keeping the MGU-H and increasing the fuel allowance... .

Increasing the rpm while keeping the MGU-H will not nearly as much increase the sound as removing MGU-H altogether, let alone combining it with an increase in rpm. Furthermore the engines would get too powerful. By 2020 the cars would perhaps go too fast even; the aero improvement, plus efficiency improvement plus greater fuel allowance would result in a further massive performance increase. I fear it would get too much.

I think Brawn's proposal makes sense. Unless the manufacturers come up with better ways to improve the sound while keeping the MGU-H which doesn't seem likely given the basic physics behind it.
Old 5 Nov 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3778787)   #2400
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least they are getting rid of the T wings next season. That's a start. Now if only they got rid of the other ugly winglets too, that would be even better