Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Nov 2018, 02:43 (Ref:3864642)   #2501
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's a full description of me and I was there I think. But alas not in that car or race!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
that would be the one where we were given the 'Race of the meeting' award and all the drivers were dragged off to the room next to race control - to be generously fed wine and nibbles straight after the race!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 06:17 (Ref:3864657)   #2502
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
OK, midget and David. point is that I was sharing a 2.0 911 and had a good moment with the person I'm looking for. More than ten years later my mate tells me the video he made is usable!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 06:22 (Ref:3864658)   #2503
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Who can dream about a R8 Gordini here? They seem to make crazy money, asking prices around € 50k, but they dont sell at this price. But OK, if its only for money. Mike, R8 Gordini, Simca Rallye 2 ou 3 have all been extensively campaigned and few remain the original body. If no fake! The best to drive, from far, is the Rallye 3. Unaffordable. Better go for a Rallye 2 with the SRT Grp2 kit, same performance, less money.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3864661)   #2504
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Has anyone done a serious book on wheel designs yet?
Yes… bauble! More center wheel oriented I must admit but sill #1 in some countries like Burkina…
Old 21 Nov 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3864667)   #2505
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes… bauble! More center wheel oriented I must admit but sill #1 in some countries like Burkina…
I think you will find Bauble invented the wheel...
Old 21 Nov 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3864668)   #2506
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
C'on, John Can you tell me if there is an equivalence with "faire chabrot" in English? I think not, because you're supposed to drink your soup with red wine addition.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3864670)   #2507
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
that would be the one where we were given the 'Race of the meeting' award and all the drivers were dragged off to the room next to race control - to be generously fed wine and nibbles straight after the race!
For free I hope! We know how to treat foreign competitors then…
The person I'm looking for must be unique because he looked after me to have a shake hand with a French! Wisely, he sticked to my car rear end during half an hour to learn Montlhéry tricks. Could I get some money for the a lesson given as the former chief instructor? Happy day he said…
Old 21 Nov 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3864684)   #2508
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't know how long it will continue, but our first proper dumping of snow for the season. Have a feeling that we may pay for having a half decent summer.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3864688)   #2509
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't know how long it will continue, but our first proper dumping of snow for the season. Have a feeling that we may pay for having a half decent summer.
Yes. my fingers were frozen this morning. Not sure about this biking to work and back at moment. Got soaked last night going home and what with dodging all the cars coming the other way with blooming lights on full beam. Not a lot of fun.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:08 (Ref:3864693)   #2510
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, for those of you that are weather minded, we've had some pretty torrential rain here this week. I got soaked walking home last night, the depth of water on the streets was around 150mm, because the drains couldn't cope!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3864695)   #2511
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
When I was racing the oval circuits someone had welded two Austin 1100s front halves together to entertain the crowds between races. The two drivers could drive the "thing" fast at incredible angles and spin 360 degrees instantly. They obviously took a fair time to learn how to do it !
I remember seeing that crazy machine at Wimbledon and a occasionally at a full circuit meeting, Brands I think. It was quite a feat driving it!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3864699)   #2512
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well, for those of you that are weather minded, we've had some pretty torrential rain here this week. I got soaked walking home last night, the depth of water on the streets was around 150mm, because the drains couldn't cope!
Similar in Spain with a lot of damage to the unmade roads.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:24 (Ref:3864700)   #2513
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I remember seeing that crazy machine at Wimbledon and a occasionally at a full circuit meeting, Brands I think. It was quite a feat driving it!
I knew I wasn't dreaming, it was literally made by welding two "complete" front halves together. Obviously the two drivers had to remember to de clutch and change gear at the correct time
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Nov 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3864704)   #2514
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I knew I wasn't dreaming, it was literally made by welding two "complete" front halves together. Obviously the two drivers had to remember to de clutch and change gear at the correct time
I don't know how on earth they synchronised their driving but it fascinating to watch. I can't imagine the machine exists today being a BLMC rust bucket.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3864707)   #2515
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes. my fingers were frozen this morning. Not sure about this biking to work and back at moment. Got soaked last night going home and what with dodging all the cars coming the other way with blooming lights on full beam. Not a lot of fun.
Scary thing, cycling in traffic in the dark. Rather you than me! Some sort of “Road Safety Week” at the moment, and one of the campaigns concentrates on allowing cyclists more room when overtaking them. Involved a plain clothed copper cycling around with gopros attached to his person. Anyone not giving enough room was then stopped up the road (presumably by another cop!) and given an educational talk. Mmm.....

Was a bit taken aback by a promo on the radio for BBC 6 Music. Appears it is “Wear your old banned T shirt” day this Friday. Bit risqué for the Beeb, I thought, before realising that it’s BAND, not banned......
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3864708)   #2516
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I don't know how on earth they synchronised their driving but it fascinating to watch
If you like this type of vehicle, you could join our army and drive an EBR Panhard. They can go either way (good when things go wrong) have two drivers, one being inactive (usual in army) just have to put a massive locker on one of the two steering column (nickname no sens). Easy to spot, they have 8 wheels, four are plain steel, the others are wheel/tyre. They are said to be capable of speed up to 100 mph if you remove the canon and machine guns. Unrestricted, the flat 12 sounds like two RSR…
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3864719)   #2517
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

It's because you're up in the hills. Down here on the coastal plain it's a reasonable November morning except a bit damp.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3864727)   #2518
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If you like this type of vehicle, you could join our army and drive an EBR Panhard. They can go either way (good when things go wrong) have two drivers, one being inactive (usual in army) just have to put a massive locker on one of the two steering column (nickname no sens). Easy to spot, they have 8 wheels, four are plain steel, the others are wheel/tyre. They are said to be capable of speed up to 100 mph if you remove the canon and machine guns. Unrestricted, the flat 12 sounds like two RSR…
That is very bizarre..... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ax2UvSRy_vc
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3864732)   #2519
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
It's because you're up in the hills. Down here on the coastal plain it's a reasonable November morning except a bit damp.
Here in the middle of the country it's a beautiful sunny day.
Been out gardening this morning.
I except it'll be raining @ the weekend when i'm a kart meeting.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 12:57 (Ref:3864735)   #2520
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It’s mid November, and that means miserable weather, even when not raining or snowing! I hate this month, but hibernation not yet perfected for humings.....
Old 21 Nov 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3864740)   #2521
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you like this type of vehicle, you could join our army and drive an EBR Panhard .......
Talking of army vehicles, i was walking the dogs on Snettisham beach last weekend and saw an FV430 Armouted Personnel Carrier parked next to someones holiday home, right on the beach front. Judging by the tracks on the beach, it is exetcised as well.

Maybe they are expecting an invasion!!!
Old 21 Nov 2018, 13:39 (Ref:3864743)   #2522
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
@Gerard - Montlery? Ah, David and I were at Dijon so must have the year muddled. And I must have a doppelganger :-)

@fatclerk - are you at Whilton this weekend then?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Nov 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3864745)   #2523
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Here in the middle of the country it's a beautiful sunny day.
Been out gardening this morning.
I except it'll be raining @ the weekend when i'm a kart meeting.

Well, just the other side of the middle of the country it's been a decidedly grey morning but just before I read your post the sun attempted a breakout from the cloud cover so I am hoping it stays around for a while.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3864751)   #2524
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sun shining here now at Henley on Thames. Still blooming cold.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3864758)   #2525
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=midgetman;3864743]@Gerard - Montlery? Ah, David and I were at Dijon so must have the year muddled. And I must have a doppelganger :-)

@fatclerk - are you at Whilton this weekend then?

Indeed I am on Sunday, suitably wrapped up