Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jan 2018, 12:06 (Ref:3790603)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Iain, think this is the pic from the 2014 Show. Taken by Grant, if my memory is correct. RIP Richard....
Attached Thumbnails
498FB3DD-5433-4070-8B18-856BF3BCD29B.jpeg  
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3790668)   #52
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes Mike . Lovely photo.
Old 4 Jan 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3790673)   #53
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have just read that Aston Martin are building 25 new DB4s at Newport Pagnell. All have been sold with a price tag of £1.5 each!

They are considering re-introducing other models once this run is completed later this year. One wonders how much they will want for them?
Old 5 Jan 2018, 11:59 (Ref:3790794)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if the ‘William Towns’ Lagonda is on the list........

Pic in a paper today of the Bristol Freighter fuselage en route to Bristol Aerospace Museum for restoration. Imported from NZ, as none left in Europe! Love the clever CARS ad with the period shot of one being loaded in the background....
Old 5 Jan 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3790856)   #55
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember when they used to fly them out of Southend to Northern France. As Iain would say, happy days!
Old 5 Jan 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3790860)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wasn't a certain Formula One driver connected to that company.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3790862)   #57
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Rupert Keegan?
Old 5 Jan 2018, 16:14 (Ref:3790863)   #58
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Yes, Peter. BAF was owned by Mike Keegan, father of Rupert.

There was an incident at Snetterton one day when Mike flew in to watch his son race. As he landed on the old Norwich Straight he brought down some power lines. If I remember correctly, he was flying an Anson.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3790870)   #59
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, Peter. BAF was owned by Mike Keegan, father of Rupert.

There was an incident at Snetterton one day when Mike flew in to watch his son race. As he landed on the old Norwich Straight he brought down some power lines. If I remember correctly, he was flying an Anson.
I've been at Snetterton and we have had to stop racing so a plane could land. Don't know who it was.But then what do I know.
Glad its Friday. karting tomorrow at fruxton.
Old 5 Jan 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3790874)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I've been at Snetterton and we have had to stop racing so a plane could land. Don't know who it was.But then what do I know.
Glad its Friday. karting tomorrow at fruxton.
Hope the karting goes well. Glad I didn’t enter as probably would set my recovery back a few weeks!
Old 5 Jan 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3790883)   #61
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Darn it I didn't know you'd be racing there, I'm off down to Clay Pigeon. I would have loved to come and heckle! It's just down the road from me as you know. Unless it's an evening race?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jan 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3790891)   #62
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's kicking off at 12:30 Max. We're going to the White Horse in Thruxton afterwards (probably about 15:00). Unless things get very messy we probably won't still be there by the evening. I'm sure Iain can keep you posted.
Old 6 Jan 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3790982)   #63
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just been to Carrefour for the first time this year & shocked to discover that diesel is now 1.389 euros per litre. Knew it was going up on 1 Jan but hadn't realised quite how much!
Old 6 Jan 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3790985)   #64
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Just been to Carrefour for the first time this year & shocked to discover that diesel is now 1.389 euros per litre. Knew it was going up on 1 Jan but hadn't realised quite how much!
Blimey, hate to think how much it will be on the autoroutes then! Local supermarkets to here vary between £1.17 and £1.21, so at today’s exchange we're cheaper! Even the expensive BP and Shell stations are below £1.30.

Could be another season of buying as little diesel in France as possible.....
Old 6 Jan 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3790987)   #65
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Blimey, hate to think how much it will be on the autoroutes then! Local supermarkets to here vary between £1.17 and £1.21, so at today’s exchange we're cheaper! Even the expensive BP and Shell stations are below £1.30.

Could be another season of buying as little diesel in France as possible.....
We're certainly paying the price for Mrs Macron's boy...

I have seen stories of people in this neck of the woods popping off to Belgium to fill up. I should be going to Holland next week so will be interesting to see how it varies along the way. It was certainly cheaper in Germany even before the rises. As I always do, I filled up at a little local Esso garage in Essen rather than on the motorway & only paid 1.11 euros. Don't know how supermarket prices are there.
Old 6 Jan 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3790988)   #66
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
There's a website that shows all Europe fuel prices.... fuel-prices-Europe.info

Currently showing France average as 1.40 euros per litre.

On a lighter note, I found my late father's 1955 Competition licence, so thought I'd share what they looked like 60+ years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
1955licence.jpg   1955licence_back.jpg  
Old 6 Jan 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3790989)   #67
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

On a lighter note, I found my late father's 1955 Competition licence, so thought I'd share what they looked like 60+ years ago...
Draconian terms and condition there Mike!

Ah for the simple days!

I still have my original driving licence somewhere ... unless management has managed to clear it out in one of her purges.
Old 6 Jan 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3791000)   #68
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just watched the 2016 Subaru WRX YouTube video with Mark Higgins doing the IOM TT course.

Good grief.

170mph seemed more than plenty fast but apparently the bikes get to 200 in some bumpy and building lined sections.

Double good grief.

Great video. Highly recommended for anyone who has not previously seen it.
Old 6 Jan 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3791024)   #69
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Think I am getting to old for karting . I ache . 🤣
Old 6 Jan 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3791028)   #70
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I assume you cycled down to Thruxton as a warm up Iain?

Very important to warm up I suspect. Especially with advancing years.

Warming down too.

You probably need a medicinal brew or two.
Old 6 Jan 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3791032)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
If you're getting too old and ache, then I’m definitely past it!
Old 6 Jan 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3791033)   #72
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
We're certainly paying the price for Mrs Macron's boy...
Indeed. But more a concern it seems that some want to "kill" all kind of diesel engines in France, starting with the old ones. Did they only consider professional use? Like trucks, farm tractors and taxis or reps. The leader of this movement seems to be Paris mayor who wants to ban all cars from her town. Previous government tried to bring to court at least two car makers with no success. Next menu could show a hat as a starter!
Old 6 Jan 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3791034)   #73
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If you're getting too old and ache, then I’m definitely past it!
No, no Mike, you're so young you just start learning how to ride a bicycle! What about a 3 wheeler then ?
Old 6 Jan 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3791035)   #74
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well you have all beat me into submission . Me and Mrs Delta out to watch Star Wars film and I find myself at Costa ordering a Latte and not a capachino . GP Thruxton is acircuit I have biked back from . 😀
Old 6 Jan 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3791039)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is one long movie. I suggest something stronger than a latte. Double Espresso may be better.
Closed Thread