Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1317498)   #1
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour mill reaches 20,000rpm!

Williams-Honda on Bridgestone boots? Could be a possibility, you've got Bridgestone looking to diversify, Honda dissatisfied with BAR and maybe wanting to relive the glory days with the boys from Grove...could this one be a goer?

http://www.planetf1.com/news/story_19754.shtml
Old 2 Jun 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1317542)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Honda thing is an extreme outside chance. It theoretically could happen, but I just cannot see it.

And I cannot see why any team would even consider switching from Michelin to Bridgestone at the moment.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1317584)   #3
Crashfishy
Rookie

United Kingdom
A puddle.
Crashfishy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I cant see a deal with Honda happening either.. and you're right, so far this year, michelin has outshone Bridgestone considerably...it just wouldnt make sense.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1317608)   #4
im8457
Rookie

im8457 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Honda has bought into BAR so they are now part owners. This would make it unlikely but these days who knows.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1317611)   #5
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the biggest chance of a team going with Bridgestone next year, is that if there were "cheap" Ferrari engines included in the package.

DKGandBH
Old 2 Jun 2005, 05:48 (Ref:1317665)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any Honda deal for Williams would clearly be in addition to BAR.

As for Bridgestone, I think not.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1317669)   #7
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The link is from Planet-f1, who arn't exactly a treasure trove of reliable Formula One information...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 08:57 (Ref:1317747)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I only posted it because I thought it was funny.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1317822)   #9
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely all the michelin teams should try and stay with michelin because then they will have more cars meaning quicker development on tyres etc which has given them a huge advantage this year so far
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1317983)   #10
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
...or move to Bridgestone, get paid for testing and enjoy some exclusivity with Ferrari.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1318050)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Bridgestone can find their missing one lap speed this discussion will be seen in a very different light - there is not much wrong with their race tyre.

If Bridgestone were to fund Williams' tyre testing activities, as they do Ferrari's, this would also be quite sensible.

I have to say it worries me though - I think Ferrari compete because of the very high quality of their car and team - I am pretty sure that Williams couldn't hope to be as good as them, though it pains me to say it.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1318054)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But bear in mind the Ferrari team is a year away from falling apart - and we don't know how good the replacements will be
Old 2 Jun 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1318167)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't see Honda supplying two teams with engines again, considering the problems they had when they last undertook that particular task.

And Williams on Bridgestone? Nah, won't happen for a number of reasons. For a start, they are inferior tyres.....
Old 2 Jun 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1318186)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Can't see Honda supplying two teams with engines again, considering the problems they had when they last undertook that particular task.
So perhaps we think about Honda dumping BAR.

Remember that old cliché about eliminating all the logical possibilities and being left with the truth...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1318192)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But they are a major part of BAR, they can't just up sticks!
Old 2 Jun 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1318213)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Like BMW and Williams? We're still talking about it...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1318217)   #17
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
If Bridgestone can find their missing one lap speed this discussion will be seen in a very different light - there is not much wrong with their race tyre.

If Bridgestone were to fund Williams' tyre testing activities, as they do Ferrari's, this would also be quite sensible.

I have to say it worries me though - I think Ferrari compete because of the very high quality of their car and team - I am pretty sure that Williams couldn't hope to be as good as them, though it pains me to say it.
Well we will see at Canada. Because Ferrari haven't exactly come out and qualified at the best time in basically all of the grandprix. And Michael was able to put it on the front row at bahrain so there is pace there to be unlocked, just a question of 'when'.

But as far as the Williams-Honda thing goes. Doubt it. Honda have enough trouble supplying one team who they are tightly connected with. What gains do they have to go and spend more $$ and re-design to an all new concept of V8 engines and put them on a Williams. I do not see the bonuses of this move. The costs outweigh the benefits, and their marketing scheme would be messed up from that point onwards.

And this also relies on BMW dropping out and therefore buying Sauber, or just dissapearing into oblivion.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1318218)   #18
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW don't own a stake in Williams though.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1318225)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the new V8s are to last six races, are they not? Makes supplying more than one team much easier. Also, the design restrictions are much more rigid - so there iis probably less potential in the area of engine manufacturer and team working hand-in-hand, because issues such a packaging and weight distribution will be fixed.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1318234)   #20
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes' Mario Illien could be about to switch to F1 rival Honda.

That's the latest murmur in the always bubbling, harbourside Monte Carlo paddock.

Illien, co founder and chief of the Ilmor company that builds Mercedes' engines for McLaren, is understood to be stalling in the early negotiations to renew his contract.

Fellow Ilmor founder Paul Morgan, the latter 'mor' in the Ilmor moniker, died when the plane he was piloting crashed in 2001.

Illien's deal expires in December.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/S...708266,00.html

Could have a bearing on the Williams-Honda plans, or Honda's plans in general.