Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Jun 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1941806)   #1
Mindspin13B
Racer

United States
ATL
Mindspin13B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So did the Peugeots basically fall apart by the end of the race?

So much conflicting information as to why the 8 stopped on the front straight. And what was the official reason for retirement of the 7 car?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 17:12 (Ref:1941833)   #2
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I heard several informations : both Peugeot met troubles with oil pressure but the origin is not the same according to the staff.
Bourdais said in L'Equipe that the pressure went down and the temperature too (40°C) so Saulnier told him to stop anywhere he could, waiting for the end. Seb chose to stop in the Ford chicanes then he tried to keep the engine in some RPM range to make the temperature rising. Bourdais wasn't sure at all if his car could do one more lap.
I have no precise info about the engine of the n°7 car.

BTW, did anyone of you see the Audi #1 smoking at the checkered flag ? A very nice blue-grey colour.

Last edited by PascaLM; 19 Jun 2007 at 17:17.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 20:31 (Ref:1942022)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When it turned around to go into parc ferme the smoke was pretty heavy.

I had heard that Bourdais also only had first gear. This from a driver of another car.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Jun 2007, 23:57 (Ref:1942145)   #4
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Audis emitted visbile smoke quite a few times, especially in and out of the pits.
And Rockenfeller's car to.
So a breach of regs? Though we can forgive car 3, i think
Old 20 Jun 2007, 00:13 (Ref:1942153)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
BTW, did anyone of you see the Audi #1 smoking at the checkered flag ? A very nice blue-grey colour.
My opinion was that had it been the 25 Hours of Le Mans Pescarolo and Rollcentre would have been quite a way further up the rostrum...

The #1 Audi was producing an awful lot of white smoke come the last lap as I saw it. They were either trying to elect a Pope or had an engine that was no longer doing what it was designed to do...

That said, wasn't it Colin Chapman that described the ideal racing machine as the one that got across the line and then magically disintegrated into its constituent parts?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 02:20 (Ref:1942194)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had noticed a few times earlier inthe race that an Audi made big puffs of smoke following the safety car, as if slow running clogged something up and it needed a big burp to get the bubble out (as it cleaned up and didnt do it afterwards)

le Belge--good joke about electing a pope!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 03:59 (Ref:1942228)   #7
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
That said, wasn't it Colin Chapman that described the ideal racing machine as the one that got across the line and then magically disintegrated into its constituent parts?
That is true, but I dare say Audi & Peugeot would both prefer not to cut it so fine! Must have been nerve-wracking
Old 20 Jun 2007, 07:06 (Ref:1942279)   #8
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think why the Audi's smoked after pit stops was because oil got pumped into the cylinders due to the oil pump not immediatly stoping like the engine(the R10 uses a dry sump scavenger pump if I'm correct). It wouldn't explain why oil still got pumped into the cylinders unless the pump couldn't break its momentum like the engine could.

The 3.6 AER V8 had similar problems when it debuted.

And both Pugs had oil pressure problems, but the "why" isn't known, and they'd better work on it if they really want to pressure Audi next year.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1942297)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect the large quantities of water the Pugs were shipping over the last 2 hours of the race played a part in their problems.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1942828)   #10
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
I think why the Audi's smoked after pit stops was because oil got pumped into the cylinders due to the oil pump not immediatly stoping like the engine(the R10 uses a dry sump scavenger pump if I'm correct). It wouldn't explain why oil still got pumped into the cylinders unless the pump couldn't break its momentum like the engine could.

The 3.6 AER V8 had similar problems when it debuted.

And both Pugs had oil pressure problems, but the "why" isn't known, and they'd better work on it if they really want to pressure Audi next year.
i can remember sebring in 2006 vividly with dyson, the car stopped out on track with huge plumes of blue and white smoke coming out of the engine bay, it got going again but god it looked bad, the engine was essentially drowning in oil and i think it was the cylinder's and being filled with oil and the fuel scavange pump deciding to go on holiday.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1942873)   #11
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think after any hard fought 24 hour race, every car is about to fall apart and needs a complete rebuild.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1942966)   #12
Mindspin13B
Racer

United States
ATL
Mindspin13B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Astons and Vettes weren't billowing smoke and stopping on the last lap....
Old 21 Jun 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1943403)   #13
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neither were the Pescarolos.