Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Jul 2002, 06:51 (Ref:333520)   #1
gazzarallie
Rookie

gazzarallie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bring back lancia

Arent lancias lovely cars and what happened to lancia in the world rally sceen. Where did all the lancias go, they had a string of success and then it stopped. what happened?
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:12 (Ref:333881)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uhm... They're not, in my opinion.

Why'd they get out? Toyota and the other Japanese companies just out-spent and out-developed everyone else in the early '90s... It was just easier for Lancia to claim they had nothing left to prove and withdraw.

It's very unlikely they'll be back anytime soon. Fiat is flat broke and Ferrari and Maserati are higher priorities, and Martini is busy with Ford.

More puzzling is the fact that Audi/VW and Opel/GM have completely absent for over a decade.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:22 (Ref:333886)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
More puzzling is the fact that Audi/VW and Opel/GM have completely absent for over a decade.
Wel, Audi/VW are involved in the WRC in away with Skoda, as they are now owned by VW, I can not see Audi coming as they are off playing with sportscars in the ALMS and at Le Mans and doing very well as we all know.

As for Opel/Vauxhall/GM they are also involved, there is a works supported Super 1600 Corsa running in the Junior WRC this year in the hands on Neil McShea, as for them making a comeback in the WRC, I can not see that happening for a long time as they are get publicity from racing Astra's in the BTCC and the DTM and do not have a car which would fit into the WRC.

They did how ever run a Forumla 2 Astra in the British Championships a couple of years ago, and I think I read somewhere that they might return to the WRC in 2004/5 with the new Astra, but we will have to wait and see about that one.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 04:07 (Ref:333997)   #4
gazzarallie
Rookie

what makes you think that lancia would rely on martini for a sponsor in the wrc. Repsol was the main sponsor for lancia for a number of years. Martini wont be with ford for ever, and with lancia and martini based in the same country it would be alot easyer for the two companies. So there is always the chance.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 01:04 (Ref:334637)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Under the WRC rules, GM could get in quite easily if they wanted to. They've been developing a turbocharged, 2.0L version of the Ecotech 4-cylinder engine for drag racing here in the States, and with the kit-car approach, it would be quite easy to make WRC-ready versions of the Opel Astra, or the Chevrolet Cavalier.

If Mexico and Canada get dates on the WRC schedule, it'd be stupid for them not to dive in with both feet! Rhys Millen would probably be fairly easy to sign, and they've got Robby Gordon driving for them in NASCAR already.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 05:24 (Ref:334697)   #6
gazzarallie
Rookie

A CHEV RALLY CAR, THATS FUNNY LOL
Old 16 Jul 2002, 12:32 (Ref:334934)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

At least we _have_ an auto industry.

In all seriousness, this is _why_ GM needs to be in the WRC. Their reputation for reliability and build quality is abismal! And for good reason, I agree!

Chevrolet _has_ won international rallies, by the way. A Chevrolet Corvair won the 1963 International Canadian Winter Rally. And a Chevrolet also won a _very_ long off-road race, in October of 1940, from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Lima, Peru. The car happened to be driven by a young Argentinian by the name of Juan Manuel Fangio.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 16 Jul 2002 at 12:32.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 12:50 (Ref:334952)   #8
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the FIA can consider U.S.A into the WRC rounds. The place to have a rally will be the Angeles National Forest in Palmdale California or Pikes Peak, Colorado.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 15:55 (Ref:335090)   #9
JPBeltoise
Rookie

JPBeltoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Uhm... They're not, in my opinion.
Do you actually mean that you don't think Lancias are "lovely" (as Gazzarallie said they are)? I beg to differ -- the Lancia Stratos had to be the most gorgeous rally car ever, and the 037 Rally wasn't far behind. Even the Delta Integrale, despite its boxy shape, was attractive in its own purposeful way. (Of course, I'm not completely unbiased in this debate, being the owner of a 1976 Scorpion...) But, in any case, I would love to see Lancia back in the Championship. Rallying without Lancia is a little like Formula One without Ferrari.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 21:07 (Ref:336009)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Oh, of course, Lancia _has_ built lovely cars... I adore the Ferrari-engined Stratos... But the Delta, I'm sorry, looks bland, if not downright ugly, to my eyes.

Speeddemon, the SCCA's been trying to get Cherokee Trails up to the FIA's international standards, but in my opinion, they really need an event near Pike's Peak. Perhaps one on mixed surfaces, to really make it unique.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:49 (Ref:336305)   #11
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't have thought mixed surface would be favoured by the teams as there'd be too much work involved in changing settings from tarmac to gravel and vice versa. I know they could run a compromise but they wouldn't like it.