Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 May 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3977340)   #7476
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure if that will quite work with the marques we have now, but you never know.
Old 20 May 2020, 16:04 (Ref:3977361)   #7477
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I thought that the GTE system was 'automated' for regular races only and at Le Mans 'whatever goes' applied
Yes, I think that's how it works.
Old 20 May 2020, 18:48 (Ref:3977389)   #7478
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I'm not sure if that will quite work with the marques we have now, but you never know.
How so, will be even easier to orchestrate with just Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin alone now... and it should be Aston's "turn" to win this year.

Aston Martin Vantage branding coincidentally celebrates it's 70th anniversary this year. Furthermore, Porsche won on their 70th anniversary in 2018, and Ferrari won on the 70th anniversary of their first overall win in 2019 (plus don't forget the fabricated re-creation of Ford vs Ferrari anniversary in 2016), so "rightfully" Aston requires more ice cream than the others right now, right?
Old 20 May 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3977412)   #7479
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I guess it depends if you see it as coincidence or not. Depends also how important they see it. I wonder if they will concentrate on much on that.

Certainly Aston Martin won’t really be bothered by winning on their anniversary as much as beating the other two. Maybe Ferrari had it their way and Porsche had to have something. But would they do the same for Aston? Could be tricky to do effectively
Old 21 May 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3977527)   #7480
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How so, will be even easier to orchestrate with just Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin alone now... and it should be Aston's "turn" to win this year.

Aston Martin Vantage branding coincidentally celebrates it's 70th anniversary this year. Furthermore, Porsche won on their 70th anniversary in 2018, and Ferrari won on the 70th anniversary of their first overall win in 2019 (plus don't forget the fabricated re-creation of Ford vs Ferrari anniversary in 2016), so "rightfully" Aston requires more ice cream than the others right now, right?
Perhaps the ACO aren't all that thrilled with Aston at the moment given their hypercar departure. Or maybe they actually need Aston to stick around and make GTE a 3 car class.
Old 21 May 2020, 14:44 (Ref:3977538)   #7481
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Perhaps the ACO aren't all that thrilled with Aston at the moment given their hypercar departure. Or maybe they actually need Aston to stick around and make GTE a 3 car class.
If ACO was into direct revenge, I don't think they would have given Porsche million GTE-PRO factory entries as well as generous bop after they pulled out of LMP1

I was going to suggest that perhaps reverting back to good old Porsche vs Ferrari days and nothing else would lead to happier and easier times in GTE, but then I remembered they have had nothing but just Porsches and Ferraris in the ELMS GTE-AM for years and years now, and yet they still insist in using success ballast and balance of performance simultaneously, with spec Dunlop tires added in too
Old 22 May 2020, 17:06 (Ref:3977741)   #7482
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMH Platform Could be an LMDh Alternative, Glickenhaus has proposed that SCG could offer its 007 LMH platform as a base for brands that are seeking more car design flexibility than what is afforded by LMDh.
Manufacturers entering LMDh must pick from one of four LMP2 origin chassis on which to develop their hybrid-powered cars.
“We are in discussions with two major manufacturers who are evaluating our LMH platform and they could put their own body and engine in it,” said Glickenhaus.
“It might be a much better vehicle than an LMDh. The other problem is that if you’re a major manufacturer and you build a car on an LMDh, you’re not making the choice.
“How is that for your advertising? Is a manufacturer like Ferrari, which has said that it’s interested in LMDh but wants to make its own chassis, really going to do such a thing? I don’t think so.”

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...mh-power-drop/

I think this proposal is fantastic Jim.
Old 22 May 2020, 18:45 (Ref:3977772)   #7483
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
LMH Platform Could be an LMDh Alternative, Glickenhaus has proposed that SCG could offer its 007 LMH platform as a base for brands that are seeking more car design flexibility than what is afforded by LMDh.
Manufacturers entering LMDh must pick from one of four LMP2 origin chassis on which to develop their hybrid-powered cars.
“We are in discussions with two major manufacturers who are evaluating our LMH platform and they could put their own body and engine in it,” said Glickenhaus.
“It might be a much better vehicle than an LMDh. The other problem is that if you’re a major manufacturer and you build a car on an LMDh, you’re not making the choice.
“How is that for your advertising? Is a manufacturer like Ferrari, which has said that it’s interested in LMDh but wants to make its own chassis, really going to do such a thing? I don’t think so.”

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...mh-power-drop/

I think this proposal is fantastic Jim.
Thanks.
Old 22 May 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3977777)   #7484
S griffin
Veteran

Now it’s easier to understand
Old 22 May 2020, 19:40 (Ref:3977785)   #7485
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
At this stage, I'm open to any possibility to replace LMP1 or the back and forth between the ACO and IMSA that went on until recently. I'd like less spec, but the costs still have to be sensible. What Jim is proposing is sensible. But who knows what Toyota may or may not want to spend on their LMH
Old 22 May 2020, 19:58 (Ref:3977792)   #7486
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't know if or how suitable could be the glickenhaus chassis for a manufacturer that wants to field a hybrid hypercar. But guess will be ok for the no-hybrid option, basically some kind of next gen lola-aston.
Old 23 May 2020, 00:12 (Ref:3977812)   #7487
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
don't know if or how suitable could be the glickenhaus chassis for a manufacturer that wants to field a hybrid hypercar. But guess will be ok for the no-hybrid option, basically some kind of next gen lola-aston.
In 1972 I bought the ex Donohue/Penske/Warhol 8 race winning Lola T-70.
Over the years I put 40,000 road miles on it first as a Can Am Spyder and later after I converted it as a Coupe. I think of that car as SCG 001. Our 007 LMH carries on that tradation.
Attached Thumbnails
e1c39ae5c751dec729aec1335cd16fc1.jpg  
Old 23 May 2020, 00:45 (Ref:3977814)   #7488
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking good!
Old 23 May 2020, 07:42 (Ref:3977838)   #7489
S griffin
Veteran

Certainly very different look from others
Old 23 May 2020, 09:29 (Ref:3977851)   #7490
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
In 1972 I bought the ex Donohue/Penske/Warhol 8 race winning Lola T-70.
Over the years I put 40,000 road miles on it first as a Can Am Spyder and later after I converted it as a Coupe. I think of that car as SCG 001. Our 007 LMH carries on that tradation.
sure, as long a chassis has proper size and proportions you can mount different bodyworks on it without big issues, just look at toyota MR2 chassis that is used as chassis for ferrari, lamborghini, porsche replica kit cars. That's just about aesthetics at the end; but guess if a manufacturer is willing to field a proper hybrid focused hypercar like toyota, I just think carbon tub needs to be accurately designed according to hybrid hardware necessities like a proper weight distribution due a likely heavy inertial mass on front, a proper room on the low-back of the car to fit batteries etc....

I'm not an engineer of course, but IMHO find just unlikely that a hybridless designed chassis would fit good for a hybrid car. Recall 2012 audi fielded the hybrid R18 e-tron quattro and the hybridless R18 ultra, the first one had a new and proper designed chassis, the latter used the same chassis but with a lot of ballast on front axle to "simulate" the mass of the hybrid hardware, otherwise car would have been extremely unbalanced without that. At reverse, in 2011 LM there was an oreca01 by hope racing, the very first hybrid car running at le mans actually, that had to use a small flywheel system because they found out was impossible to use a battery on oreca01 chassis, since it wasn't suitable for that.
Old 23 May 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3977865)   #7491
S griffin
Veteran

The rules will as usual dictate everything, but hopefully more can give it a go. We’ve seen plenty in the past. Just hope Toyota keep at it, we’ll see how their new car go. This is a big time. I hope more join and keep the racing going
Old 23 May 2020, 12:57 (Ref:3977872)   #7492
Napolis
Veteran

Quote:
sure, as long a chassis has proper size and proportions you can mount different bodyworks on it without big issues, just look at toyota MR2 chassis that is used as chassis for ferrari, lamborghini, porsche replica kit cars. That's just about aesthetics at the end; but guess if a manufacturer is willing to field a proper hybrid focused hypercar like toyota, I just think carbon tub needs to be accurately designed according to hybrid hardware necessities like a proper weight distribution due a likely heavy inertial mass on front, a proper room on the low-back of the car to fit batteries etc....

I'm not an engineer of course, but IMHO find just unlikely that a hybridless designed chassis would fit good for a hybrid car. Recall 2012 audi fielded the hybrid R18 e-tron quattro and the hybridless R18 ultra, the first one had a new and proper designed chassis, the latter used the same chassis but with a lot of ballast on front axle to "simulate" the mass of the hybrid hardware, otherwise car would have been extremely unbalanced without that. At reverse, in 2011 LM there was an oreca01 by hope racing, the very first hybrid car running at le mans actually, that had to use a small flywheel system because they found out was impossible to use a battery on oreca01 chassis, since it wasn't suitable for that.
Firstly with all of the LMH restrictions on hybrid we feel non hybrid LMH is a better way to go.
Secondly our tub is engineered to easily fit both FWD and RWD hybrid systems.
Old 23 May 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3977880)   #7493
canaglia
Veteran

Guess only time will tell.
Old 23 May 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3977908)   #7494
Napolis
Veteran

Quote:
Guess only time will tell.
True.
Old 25 May 2020, 19:36 (Ref:3978276)   #7495
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It may be true, but there is always BOP or EOT between hybrid and non-hybrid. Are you not afraid that regulations will favour hybrids, no matter how small pure technical benefits seem?
Old 25 May 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3978298)   #7496
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
there is always BOP or EOT between hybrid and non-hybrid
EoT is no longer the term used in LMH/LMDH, as it's a conventional bop class
Old 26 May 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3978345)   #7497
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
EoT is no longer the term used in LMH/LMDH, as it's a conventional bop class
guess both bop and some kind of eot will be required anyhow since toyota should receive a mandatory max MJ/lap race by race.
Not to consider that will be a mess just to keep power under control... maybe turbo lmh will receive mandatory turbo boost at each rpm-step, but what about toyota? mandatory turbo boost or they will stick with fuel flow sensors?
Old 26 May 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3978451)   #7498
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I've heard that's the plan (at least having fuel flow being part of it). But I can see them doing IMSA or GTE type BOP as well (ballast amounts, turbocharger boost, air restrictor size if applicable, etc).
Old 27 May 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3978631)   #7499
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe they will limit power, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they use BoP. It certainly works well enough in IMSA. Not sure it really works in WEC
Old 27 May 2020, 12:08 (Ref:3978644)   #7500
canaglia
Veteran

a bop, or eot whatever you may like to call it, would be required just due different fuel tank size since lmdh and other hypercars would require a 70L fuel tank at least, while toyota could have the same stint lenght but with just about 40L as happens now.