Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Aug 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3759467)   #126
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Swindon engine has a big part to play in the poor performance of certain teams. In previous years the TOCA spec unit has been the engine to beat in terms of straight line performance and could make a mediocre car appear better than some of the more high-end builds. This year it appears the TOCA unit has been reigned in slightly and now teams need to focus on chassis and setup (harder for the indy's) to stay at the sharp end.

Speedworks seem to be getting things right as they're the better of the TOCA engined entries and Eurotech have the excellently engineered TD chassis. But the rest of the field seem to be struggling behind the NBE and Mountune powered teams.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3759477)   #127
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
I think the Swindon engine has a big part to play in the poor performance of certain teams. In previous years the TOCA spec unit has been the engine to beat in terms of straight line performance and could make a mediocre car appear better than some of the more high-end builds. This year it appears the TOCA unit has been reigned in slightly and now teams need to focus on chassis and setup (harder for the indy's) to stay at the sharp end.

Speedworks seem to be getting things right as they're the better of the TOCA engined entries and Eurotech have the excellently engineered TD chassis. But the rest of the field seem to be struggling behind the NBE and Mountune powered teams.
Good point, well made, just don't tell Motorbase...
Old 15 Aug 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3759514)   #128
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
He's not at that level. He's more of a Jack Goff than a Tom Ingram in terms of ability. Solid lower top ten driver at best.
It's impossible to draw conclusions though, apart from his first season, he's always been in his family run team and so therefore never had a chance to see if he can really string a title challenging season in a top car. That's my thoughts anyway
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:00 (Ref:3759686)   #129
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's impossible to draw conclusions though, apart from his first season, he's always been in his family run team and so therefore never had a chance to see if he can really string a title challenging season in a top car. That's my thoughts anyway
He's too inconsistent and doesn't take the risks that you need to do to be top 5 regularly. Matt Neal mugging him at Knockhill the other year on the penultimate lap of the race is a case in point. Just like Goff not wanting to challenge Shedden at brands in 2013 or defending better against Sutton at Snetterton. They lack the cutting edge Ingram and Sutton have.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3759705)   #130
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It wasn't entirely Morgan's fault at Knockhill, he did hit a piece of debris. Look at Brands R3 last season he held off both BMWs. Morgan needs a place in a top team to be judged properly
Old 16 Aug 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3759733)   #131
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Despite the "rumours" in the thread title, I got slagged off last year for suggesting that there was the possibility of a new make joining in (which in the end hit the budget buffers), so I won't comment that I understand there is to be a launch of a 2018 debut at Rockingham.......
Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3759754)   #132
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Despite the "rumours" in the thread title, I got slagged off last year for suggesting that there was the possibility of a new make joining in (which in the end hit the budget buffers), so I won't comment that I understand there is to be a launch of a 2018 debut at Rockingham.......
KIA? Hyundai? Dacia?
Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:47 (Ref:3759762)   #133
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exciting... Welch Motorsport? They planned to return in 2018 with a two car team but very little has been said since the TBLs were allocated.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3759764)   #134
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tony Gilham and Chris James in a works KIA, with backing from Teltey Tea, Tena Men, Spearmint Rhino and Bastos imo.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3759772)   #135
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
KIA? Hyundai? Dacia?
Maybe a factory backed Infiniti team... oh wait
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3759787)   #136
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Jason Plato in a factory Volvo SUV...

With Matt Neal as his teammate.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:23 (Ref:3759788)   #137
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Slighty more seriously: factory Ford entry? There is a new Focus coming in the not too distant...
Old 16 Aug 2017, 20:41 (Ref:3759818)   #138
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Debut suggests new to the BTCC? So Tesla?
Old 16 Aug 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3759833)   #139
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But not a works team.
You have to wonder why a privateer with no history of building their own cars would want to start from scratch when they can buy a proven winner from another team.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3759879)   #140
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Andy Neate in a Fiat 500 XL?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3759915)   #141
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone remember this article ? maybe in light of recent events it could still become reality ?

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2016...drive-in-2017/
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3759919)   #142
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
anyone remember this article ? maybe in light of recent events it could still become reality ?

It has been common that when teams visit RWD circuits, they all complain and suggest that they may switch to RWD, but it never seems to happen because it isn't actually too much of a game changer...

RWD may be extremely useful at Knockhill and Croft but those are only 6 of the 30 races. Combine that with reversed grids, BTCC variability, and the fact that RWD cars often can still be beaten even at those circuits, and it is clear that certain people are just posturing.

Although it would be interesting...
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3759921)   #143
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

And remember why, under NGTC regulations, it could not be a reality?
Old 17 Aug 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3759958)   #144
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Top tip: achieve RWD in a FWD car by simply driving in reverse.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3760111)   #145
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Bubbling away nicely.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3760112)   #146
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:

No chance in hell. That was just rules moaning PR.

Honda has an all-new Civic Type-R that is proudly FWD. That's it's USP.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3760116)   #147
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I'd back a (for example 30kg) RWD weight penalty, however what about all the other measures? I'd imagine they would want to have their 1st gear back.

Also I doubt the Subaru and BMW teams voted for the wider, more durable tyre for 2017.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3760120)   #148
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, I find this paranoia about RWD pathetic, it's not like it doesn't have it's disadvantages as well as advantages
Old 18 Aug 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3760143)   #149
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, I find this paranoia about RWD pathetic, it's not like it doesn't have it's disadvantages as well as advantages
the last 3 meetings have been an RWD parade
Old 18 Aug 2017, 11:56 (Ref:3760144)   #150
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
the last 3 meetings have been an RWD parade
But Sheds will still come from nowhere in race 3 at Brands and win the Championship. Possibly wiith some super duper overtaking button fitted by Mr Dick Dastardly after race 2...