Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3507047)   #651
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure whats worse, Sky overspending or Eurosport trying to do all their motorsport on a budget of €5. At least Eurosport is free-ish.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3507055)   #652
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
F1 and Moto GP is shown live on Antena3 in Spain They show all the races and practice as well as qualifying. They also show highlights later. You can get a live commentary in English off the internet if you can't speak the lingo !
Also there is no licence fee !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Feb 2015, 15:54 (Ref:3507084)   #653
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
say what you want about Rupert Murdoch and the monster that is Sky/FOX,21 Century FOX/NewCorps but they do a pretty outstanding job covering international sport and making it available in my local TV market.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3507088)   #654
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
say what you want about Rupert Murdoch and the monster that is Sky/FOX,21 Century FOX/NewCorps but they do a pretty outstanding job covering international sport and making it available in my local TV market.
They may provide coverage, but at what cost?

They have just concluded a sealed bidding for a number of UK Premier League soccer matches, and have paid over a billion pounds for the contract - an increase, if I recall correctly, of something in the region of 77%. Their only competitor, British Telecom, got their bid accepted for about half the number of games but for a cost of less than a million pounds.

Sky's unwarranted generosity will have to be paid for by somebody, and that will be their subscribers. Well, at least the gormless idiots that kick a lump of leather around a field for a few hours a week will be sure to benefit, and will probably see their 7 figure salaries uprated as befits people of their limited intelligence.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3507112)   #655
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect F1 fans will also make their contribution to the saleries of said gormless idiots.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3507128)   #656
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
They may provide coverage, but at what cost?
thats the question. i posted an article a couple of pages back about how the conglomerates are pushing up the price as they attempt to outbid each other for exclusive coverage rights for all the leagues....so what ever the cost is today, it will be higher in the future.

for me i watch sports to the exclusion of anything else on TV so my price of (Can$125/mos) is for me a great value.

in the future i imagine myself buying more a la carte style and just picking up the channels i want instead of being forced into a bundle of channels.

more than price point, paying for something i dont want for the privilege of getting what i do want is the greater problem....for now anyways.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 18:33 (Ref:3507136)   #657
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you think that is bad I was listening to the radio last night talking about Mayweather/Pacqiao?

The last big Mayweather fight was 75 bucks for the PPV.

This one will be over 100 bucks for the package, that is for one fighta nd the rest of the card.

Listen folks, there is only one way out of this pathetic situaiton and that is to eat your humble pie and not pay these morons?

They only exiist if people make a stand and say no.

If you continually roll over year on year, it will continue.

You can get good deals with any of these poeple, but when it comes to one offs like this, you would have to be stark raaving made to pay it. I mean I would struggle to come up with 100 quid to be there in person, let alone allow the almighty God that is Fox or ESPN grace me with their presence in my own damned house!

Whatever next I ask you
Old 20 Feb 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3507140)   #658
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
boxing is actually a good example of the n.american model because they place a media blackout on their events and only allow the result and still pictures to be disseminated by the press.

which means, since i am personally not interested in paying the fee to watch it live because i will get it for free the following week via my already purchased cable subscription and the results are easily avoidable.

or if i was interested in seeing it sooner then that, downloading it for free via an illegal torrent or stream is an option.

the pay wall is there for the live audience and those that place a priority on watching it live. if you dont want to pay or want to pay less then wait. point is that there is choice and lots of it including the choice to pay zero dollars.

i actually cant imagine a system thats any more fair than that.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3507300)   #659
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasnt really talking about fairness

I was talking about the preposterous amount of money it costs!
Old 21 Feb 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3507308)   #660
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What happened to boxing to me is truly a shame for the common fan. I used to love watching the big fights on Saturday nights, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Frank Bruno, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, etc. Now its solely shown in the realm of pay per view, which I refuse to do. In fact, there are so few fights even advertised now, I don't know if there are actually simply fewer fights, or if they are simply not shown on TV.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3507431)   #661
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
ON the same show I was tlaking about, it was said that a few big world championship title fights involving Brits are being shown on terrestrial.

Could this be the first signs of a sport realising PPV does not work? As boxing really was one of the first to sell its soul decades ago.

Yes the big fights like Mayweather will always be PPV as they will not fight for the purses normal telly can pay, hence the reason why this fight has taken years to come up.

As for F1, while people are prepared to pay it will remain PPV, it just takes a landslide of people to walk away and it will come back
Old 21 Feb 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3507440)   #662
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What happened to boxing to me is truly a shame for the common fan. I used to love watching the big fights on Saturday nights, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Frank Bruno, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, etc. Now its solely shown in the realm of pay per view, which I refuse to do. In fact, there are so few fights even advertised now, I don't know if there are actually simply fewer fights, or if they are simply not shown on TV.
The Open Golf has signed to Sky, who now have all the majors. Live cricket can only be seen on Sky, etc

Is it really worth it for these sports? Cash before awareness?? And then they wonder why interest has dropped off........
Old 21 Feb 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3507480)   #663
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
The Open Golf has signed to Sky, who now have all the majors. Live cricket can only be seen on Sky, etc

Is it really worth it for these sports? Cash before awareness?? And then they wonder why interest has dropped off........

It'll make the current generation running the sport rich and then kill the sport as they realise there is no younger generation becoming fans of the sport to replace them.

Something f1 has no interest in because the younger generation have no rolexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Who is this doing my job for me?

But yes, pub is best

Last edited by codename_47; 21 Feb 2015 at 21:40.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 21:53 (Ref:3507486)   #664
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
It'll make the current generation running the sport rich and then kill the sport as they realise there is no younger generation becoming fans of the sport to replace them.

Something f1 has no interest in because the younger generation have no rolexes

Who is this doing my job for me?

But yes, pub is best
The younger generation don't need Rolexes when they've got X-Boxes.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3507660)   #665
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't know whether this is a sign of things to come, or not come as the case may be, but it would appear that the BBC have dropped the live feed web-page covering the testing at Barcelona. Hopefully it is just a glitch, but unfortunately I have a feeling in my waters that this may be a cost cutting exercise.
BBC have live coverage of testing today. What can this mean? Let's jump to a conclusion! Are the beeb going to buy back the full season fron sky as chunder's plan is working? Are we witnessing the death of paid sport on telly? I would have thought so.

Which will be annoying as there is a lot of sport I watch that wouldn't be a telly without it
Old 22 Feb 2015, 16:45 (Ref:3507698)   #666
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
BBC have live coverage of testing today. What can this mean? Let's jump to a conclusion! Are the beeb going to buy back the full season fron sky as chunder's plan is working? Are we witnessing the death of paid sport on telly? I would have thought so.

Which will be annoying as there is a lot of sport I watch that wouldn't be a tellywithout it
What channel??

Selby
Old 22 Feb 2015, 16:46 (Ref:3507699)   #667
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just on the website. They've never had it on TV I believe.
Old 12 Mar 2015, 23:10 (Ref:3514627)   #668
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sponsors are questioning Bernie's stratagy of pay to view TV with a view to the value of F1 to them with its declining viewerships.

No surprise there is so much vacant space on the cars bodywork.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns30194.html
Old 13 Mar 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3514646)   #669
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The teams love the paytv deals as they get more money, so it's about time the sponsors themselves took action as viewers are down. Wonder how long until something happens and what form that takes?
Old 13 Mar 2015, 00:47 (Ref:3514655)   #670
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
The teams love the paytv deals as they get more money, so it's about time the sponsors themselves took action as viewers are down. Wonder how long until something happens and what form that takes?
Looking at what's happened to IndyCar with pay to view and declining viewing figures, sponsors have gone elsewhere.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 01:18 (Ref:3514659)   #671
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Looking at what's happened to IndyCar with pay to view and declining viewing figures, sponsors have gone elsewhere.
How to make a big sport small, put it on pay TV!

Big sports are big because huge numbers of people watch them, and their sponsors pay for the privilege, limit the access and limit the value to the sponsor

Last edited by wnut; 13 Mar 2015 at 01:23.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3514661)   #672
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
How to make a big sport small, put it on pay TV!
For example, you just have to look at the resurgance in the popularity of the NFL over here, since Channel 4 started showing live games again, even though Sky still have most of the broadscasting rights.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 12:28 (Ref:3514796)   #673
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
For example, you just have to look at the resurgance in the popularity of the NFL over here, since Channel 4 started showing live games again, even though Sky still have most of the broadscasting rights.
That is the perfect solution. No free major channel will show lots of games. They have one game a week and that lets many see it.
However we also have sky and they show many games a week. I remember times when I got to see more games than my US friend in New York because of sky.

Until there was satellite or cable we never would have got endurance racing on telly.

There is very much a place for sky or pay TV. Take rugby, until sky (now BT Sport) came along there was no way I'd be able to watch a Premiership or European game a week, let alone several.

Of course F1 isn't structured like that. Only on every fortnight, so the balance isn't right. It is also much more sponsorship driven.
Not every sport has the same solution.

Free telly isn't the savior for all and sky isn't pure evil.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3514856)   #674
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good news for those who can't afford/don't want to pay sky, Sky 1 will be showing the qualifying live.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 16:21 (Ref:3514860)   #675
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good news for those who can't afford/don't want to pay sky, Sky 1 will be showing the qualifying live.
Since when can you watch Sky1 for free?

Tags
pinks