Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2021, 14:21 (Ref:4034841)   #276
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I did a bit of Googling and came across that as well.
Before seeing that article, if I put together my own list by memory, I would have missed Bugatti and Bentley. Porsche and Lamborghini are quick to mind as the most recent from that list. And I have an affinity for the Audi/Auto Union cars given it's ties to Porsche (the man not the company).

Richard
Old 12 Feb 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4034869)   #277
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So none, then. VAG has never been in F1.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 18:33 (Ref:4034870)   #278
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Be good to see them back though!
Old 12 Feb 2021, 18:39 (Ref:4034872)   #279
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You mean F3 doesnt count as nearly there? Or Australian F2? Palmer Audi? That is as close to F1 as they have been I guess.
Old 12 Feb 2021, 18:52 (Ref:4034875)   #280
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Be good to see them back though!

Old 12 Feb 2021, 20:28 (Ref:4034886)   #281
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If some people say that Mercedes can claim the Brawn WCC as their own, then maybe we can say VAG is back in F1!

Richard
Old 13 Feb 2021, 10:08 (Ref:4034935)   #282
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I used to have a Seat Leon and I've driven it to Silverstone to a number of Grand Prix. Does that count?
Old 13 Feb 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4034939)   #283
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
OK, so current VW group manufacturers have competed in F1 before, like Porsche and Lamborghini, but never when they were actually part of the VW group. Although VW did build an F1 engine in the mid 80s, but that's another story
Old 13 Feb 2021, 11:03 (Ref:4034942)   #284
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Phew, glad we got that sorted. Next!
Old 13 Feb 2021, 18:08 (Ref:4034978)   #285
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Good that the engine freeze is in but I hope it works out better than the previous engine freeze.

No in-season engine modifications in 2021 according to this article and if none allowed between the end of this season and the start of the freeze (do we have that detail at this stage?) then there is a possibility that one engine supplier could zag when all the other zig and end up far better or far worse but keep that advantage as no-one else is permitted to develop their power units.

When a freeze is then applied, there is zero opportunity for anyone to catch up if their package is not delivering - so we have a rules-enforced period where the "haves" can't be caught at all by the "have nots" for however long the freeze is in place and given the advantage during the freeze and the low-risk developments on other parts of the car that the "have" teams can do, there is likely a significant advantage that remains for some years.

Let's call it "the Mercedes factor" - not the team's fault of course but that's what we've had ever since the current engine rules came into place and in reality it is only now that other teams are getting close enough to the Mercs to occasionally challenge on pure pace.

Let's hope that lessons were imprinted after the freeze at the start of the hybrid era, otherwise we're facing a long period of the currently lop-sided competition.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 22:26 (Ref:4035019)   #286
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Good that the engine freeze is in but I hope it works out better than the previous engine freeze.

Let's call it "the Mercedes factor" - not the team's fault of course but that's what we've had ever since the current engine rules came into place and in reality it is only now that other teams are getting close enough to the Mercs to occasionally challenge on pure pace.

Let's hope that lessons were imprinted after the freeze at the start of the hybrid era, otherwise we're facing a long period of the currently lop-sided competition.
Are lessons ever learned, it would seem not. Every time they have tried to nobble Mercedes it has failed badly. Didn't Marko proclaim that restricting engine mapping was going to allow RB to compete for the championship? That went well and I suspect he has conveniently forgotten that in the excitement of the Honda commitment that RB have managed to achieve.

This harks back to the token system when the hybrids were first introduced and will set in stone the pecking order but the bright people can't see that or maybe Mercedes can and know they will continue to win at less cost. Maybe Toto is not as silly as a lot of people think he is.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 01:31 (Ref:4035039)   #287
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Are lessons ever learned, it would seem not. Every time they have tried to nobble Mercedes it has failed badly. Didn't Marko proclaim that restricting engine mapping was going to allow RB to compete for the championship? That went well and I suspect he has conveniently forgotten that in the excitement of the Honda commitment that RB have managed to achieve.

This harks back to the token system when the hybrids were first introduced and will set in stone the pecking order but the bright people can't see that or maybe Mercedes can and know they will continue to win at less cost. Maybe Toto is not as silly as a lot of people think he is.
Yep - although the token system didn't exist when hybrids were first introduced - only came a season or two later - was a complete freeze to begin with. During that period, as it became clear that the Mercedes engine config turned out to be a better option than the others, the others were simply unable to do anything to peg that back. Then the token system restricted how much could be done each year by the others - thus giving Mercedes a huge multi-year benefit from calling "heads" instead of "tails" when deciding on their PU configuration - fair play to them but not great for the sport.

Probably needs to have a process similar to aero restrictions where those further down in the results have some opportunity to develop their machines to catch up.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 23:37 (Ref:4035152)   #288
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 fundamentally has always been unfair and loaded against anyone except the top teams winning either the championship(s) or races on a regular basis. The exception to this was the Hunt/Hesketh years and that lasted a very short time.

Placing a PU freeze in place now was done at the behest and dare I say it blackmail tactics by one team and I have to say that it irks me to see that happen. When RB were winning multiple championships and everyone was screaming for them to be nobbled I wrote here that it is up to the other teams to get their act together and beat them. So RB have acted and we have the freeze they wanted but back when they were winning if another team was to have lobbied as hard as RB have done in recent times to affect their winning Marko & Co would have gone beserk to prevent it. Double standards have also been a feature of F1 as well.

I think this freeze will affect the minor teams more than the front teams but the reasons for that are hard to outline at the moment and I may be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Probably needs to have a process similar to aero restrictions where those further down in the results have some opportunity to develop their machines to catch up.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 04:32 (Ref:4035164)   #289
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
F1 fundamentally has always been unfair and loaded against anyone except the top teams winning either the championship(s) or races on a regular basis. The exception to this was the Hunt/Hesketh years and that lasted a very short time.
Arguably Scheckter / Wolf.... won a few races and in 1977 came 2nd in the WDC, 4th in the WCC (with only 1 car). Yes it was in effect the old Williams, but privately owned none the less. That also was aa brief success period.
Brawn I guess is a bit of an anomaly, being a spin off of Honda.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 08:50 (Ref:4035193)   #290
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda Engines to be Rebranded as RedBull and they will have their own engine department
Old 15 Feb 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4035194)   #291
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK: seems to be official now:

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/st...39356963487745

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/st...39521497595904

Last edited by steve nielsen; 15 Feb 2021 at 09:13.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 10:49 (Ref:4035212)   #292
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Arguably Scheckter / Wolf.... won a few races and in 1977 came 2nd in the WDC, 4th in the WCC (with only 1 car). Yes it was in effect the old Williams, but privately owned none the less. That also was aa brief success period.
Brawn I guess is a bit of an anomaly, being a spin off of Honda.
It could be that RBR do a 'Brawn' in 2022 and win the title and Honda would have the irony again of all the previous investment but no prize..

AVL are to maintain the engines for Red Bull Powertrains from 2022, I believe.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Feb 2021, 11:06 (Ref:4035217)   #293
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
It could be that RBR do a 'Brawn' in 2022 and win the title and Honda would have the irony again of all the previous investment but no prize..

AVL are to maintain the engines for Red Bull Powertrains from 2022, I believe.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
They will work together with AVL but also employ a lot of Honda's F1 staff
Old 15 Feb 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4035224)   #294
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We'll see how well this goes. Without Honda it will be interesting. Red Bull need to make sure they have enough funds to keep developing their own engine
Old 15 Feb 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4035228)   #295
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Who thinks Toto is silly?!!!
Old 15 Feb 2021, 12:47 (Ref:4035233)   #296
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy Cowell to head the new Redbull Power train?...
Old 15 Feb 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4035239)   #297
Richard C
Veteran

I really hope this Red Bull power train organization is not just a stopgap solution until the next power unit spec. Because while they have deep pockets, they are not "manufacture deep". And their objectives are likely different than manufactures. They probably are really interested in cost and competitiveness. So super innovative designs that require either a significant up front or long term development budget would not be attractive to them. With this implying relatively simple power units for 2025. There needs to be someone like them pushing in that direction regarding 2025.

Richard
Old 15 Feb 2021, 17:42 (Ref:4035286)   #298
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I really hope this Red Bull power train organization is not just a stopgap solution until the next power unit spec. Because while they have deep pockets, they are not "manufacture deep". And their objectives are likely different than manufactures. They probably are really interested in cost and competitiveness. So super innovative designs that require either a significant up front or long term development budget would not be attractive to them. With this implying relatively simple power units for 2025. There needs to be someone like them pushing in that direction regarding 2025.

Richard
From what Horner is saying it will give them the capability to develop an engine for the new regs if need be. Depending on any restrictions Honda have put on the IP that RB has purchased, perhaps the architecture can be the platform for collaboration with a new manufacturer to co-develop or badge the 2025 engine. Or perhaps ideal for a manufacturer that doesn't have a massive motorsport infrastructure (say Lynk or one of the other Chinese manufacturers) that can provide some tech input but mostly cash to develop the engine.

Gives RBR great independence and the flexbility to entirely design the car from end to end from the start.
Old 15 Feb 2021, 17:45 (Ref:4035288)   #299
S griffin
Veteran

Let’s see how well it goes. Honda have been quite good lately, but no surprise they are leaving. Red Bull will have a lot to do. They probably don’t have a bottomless pit of money and this will be tough for them, so they have to make sure they have enough to keep it going
Old 15 Feb 2021, 19:29 (Ref:4035309)   #300
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...With this implying relatively simple power units for 2025...
now that they are engine manu's, it will be interesting to see how much influence they can have over the direction of new regs.

although, with one of the stated aims of t being relevant to the auto industry makes me think they are already at odds with the others regarding future direction.

also, i would have to think that by now Merc, Ferrari, and Renault are well into their development for the next PU and will advance the need for their own preferred configurations...for much the same reasons the current regs were adopted.

surely this new venture is already playing catch up no?

maybe im being cynical but i dont see how RB will be able to compete right out of the box in an area where well established engines manus are frequently made to look foolish.

for me this has to be just a stop gap and they will go back to being customers post 2025 or whenever the new PU arrive.