Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Mar 2019, 13:13 (Ref:3887543)   #276
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there is a minimum, it's probably close to it now. Either way, every round last year except for USA and Canada had non-regular entries. So even if there only were 15 regulars, most rounds would have more than 15 cars.

With the manufacturers gone and perhaps the maximum allowance cars of in ERX being reached, maybe some will be tempted to enter WRX instead for one or more rounds.

However, if there are less than 15 cars, non-regulars will be crucial for rounds outside of Europe.

Meant to post this earlier but Norwegian Pål Try will compete in Abu Dhabi, Spa and Latvia in a STARD Fiesta.

http://n247.no/?nyhet=9061&tittel=-_...YYHHTtnjJbPSbw
Old 1 Mar 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3887554)   #277
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, but Brands Hatch hasn't got Sean Paul...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
The Brands 'pros' column is at bursting point
Exactly! You'd have to pay me (a lot) to listen to Sean Paul. So Brands is cheaper, nearer and doesn't that talentless noise polluter. No contest.

I can see the european rounds getting local drivers to bulk out the grids but the fly away races where there aren't any locals with suitable cars will be more problematic - I guess if the teams competing in the championship have spare cars they could rent them out to well heeled local drivers - but then do those drivers have the pedigree to be competitive?
Old 2 Mar 2019, 17:35 (Ref:3887832)   #278
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You knew the sport was in trouble the moment the bloke and his grease monkey in a van pulling a trailer with a just about ready racecar became an Athlete and his team.
Doing media training...
Max 16 drivers cos it has to fit in 1 hour telly/webstuff.
To fill in the empty moments, drift cars.... which isn't a racecar and it isn't a sport, it's a circus act which bores the marrow out of a concrete slab after 2 or 3 runs.

And by now they have to hide the fact that there are only 10 cars driving for some 2.5 hours over a weekend, they need food trucks and a 'singer'...
Yeah, while there has been made progress to popularize rallycross as an event, it also has killed the sport.
Thanks IMG
Old 3 Mar 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3888006)   #279
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I still enjoyed my trips to Hell and Riga last year and probably would've gone to Latvia again this year if it weren't for other commitments (I really enjoyed the City so quite happy for another long weekend there).
It's a real shame that things have panned out the way they have. When they first announced the electrification of World Rallycross it was my intention to cram as many rounds in as possible, but recent events have meant that those I travel to rallycross with have completely lost interest...

...that said, I have just seen a little bit of good news on Facebook: EKS are back for 2019, they will run an Audi S1 for Krisztián Szabó in the World Rallycross Championship. If Loheac is anything to go by, he is going to be one to watch.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 14:03 (Ref:3888012)   #280
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the double post, but I can't edit my previous post. Official news about Szabo is here:

World Rallycross Championship - EKS signs Szabo

EKS - Krisztian Szabo - Audi S1 (World RX)
ES Motorsport - ? - Skoda Fabia (World RX)
GRX - Niclas Grönholm - Hyundai i20 (Select RX)
GRX - Timur Timerzyanov - Hyundai i20 (Select RX)
Munnich Motorsport - Timo Scheider - Seat Ibiza (World RX)
STARD - Janis Baumanis - Ford Fiesta (World RX)
STARD - ? - Ford Fiesta (World RX)
Xite Racing - Oliver Bennett - MINI Cooper (World RX)

GRX - Reinis Nitišs - Hyundai i20 (Select RX)
Munnich Motorsport - Rene Munnich - Seat Ibiza (Select World RX)

JC Raceteknik - Robin Larsson - Audi S1 (Euro RX)
Old 3 Mar 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3888031)   #281
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still Sh*t though however they fluff it up
Old 3 Mar 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3888054)   #282
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if the poor entry means that we'll see a return of the one offs? Back when I went to Lydden in 2014 there were 37 Supercars, so much for progress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_W..._Great_Britain
Old 3 Mar 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3888060)   #283
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The EKS return is a surprice for me!

The one offs are a problem, they need a expensive ecu to be able to race.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 01:10 (Ref:3888091)   #284
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
The one offs are a problem, they need a expensive ecu to be able to race.
That was discussed on here a while ago: expensive for me and you but, relative to the cost of a Supercar, not that pricey!

Will there be another EKS car for Bakkerud or will he appear elsewhere? (I am thinking ES Motorsport)
Old 4 Mar 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3888182)   #285
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andreas has still be hanging around with Ekstrom as was having a go in his Fabia a few weeks back (it's on an episode of Bakkerud Life), but I'd be surprised if he's EKS and ES or GCK seem most likely, or he'll get himself a real job
Old 4 Mar 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3888204)   #286
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Andreas has still be hanging around with Ekstrom as was having a go in his Fabia a few weeks back (it's on an episode of Bakkerud Life), but I'd be surprised if he's EKS and ES or GCK seem most likely, or he'll get himself a real job
A few comments on Facebook suggesting we'll see the full list on Wednesday?

I also read a comment that Prodrive won't be running the Megane(s) for GCK this year? Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Old 4 Mar 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3888209)   #287
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
ES Motorsport have done a 1,000 km of testing, bought two trailers (they already had a bus with a trailer and a van) and hired Kevin Abbring as a test driver. They also announced that their driver would receive €500,000 as gift if he finishes in the top three.

Bakkerud was hired by Audi last year so maybe he'll get lucky with ES.

Quote:
A few comments on Facebook suggesting we'll see the full list on Wednesday?

I also read a comment that Prodrive won't be running the Megane(s) for GCK this year? Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Saw a comment by WRX that the list indeed would drop this week.

That would line up with Marklund as they had sent a trailer to France and he was going to compete as a privateer.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 22:20 (Ref:3888289)   #288
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:

All motor racing involves conflict of some kind. Without conflict, there is not much of a story.Expect an announcement soon.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3888293)   #289
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
And Prodrive definitely seem to like conflict...see Mini WRC for more.

I suspect that, having paid them to develop it, things are getting a bit pricey using Prodrive to run the car so I can't say I'm shocked that they may not be involved.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3888360)   #290
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
All motor racing involves conflict of some kind. Without conflict, there is not much of a story.Expect an announcement soon.
Quote:
I suspect that, having paid them to develop it, things are getting a bit pricey using Prodrive to run the car so I can't say I'm shocked that they may not be involved.
I am sure that Prodrive aren't cheap, but part of the potential I see within those cars is if you have Prodrive continue to develop them.

If GCK run them without the backing of someone like Prodrive then I fear they will go the same way as the Countryman did with JRM.

Quote:
And Prodrive definitely seem to like conflict...see Mini WRC for more.
I personally don't see that as a fair comparison. Unless I missed something, the issues with that program came from BMW, not Prodrive.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3888375)   #291
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The question also has to be why would Prodrive want anything to do with WRX right now, they were too late to the party anyway.

MSport knew which side their bread was buttered!!
Old 5 Mar 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3888403)   #292
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
GCK with 4 permanent drivers for the season, finally some positive news.

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...7AwJyAhxtbG2Gs

Marklund and Chicherit in Meganes, De Ridder and Raymond in Clios. We all know that Cyril is rapid so could be potential race winner if the car is half decent.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3888408)   #293
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
GCK with 4 permanent drivers for the season, finally some positive news.

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...7AwJyAhxtbG2Gs

Marklund and Chicherit in Meganes, De Ridder and Raymond in Clios. We all know that Cyril is rapid so could be potential race winner if the car is half decent.
Yeah, I'm not sure how competitive that Clio is: would rather have seen Raymond in the Megane and Marklund in the Clio. Surprised not to see Liam Doran involved as well.

That certainly gives the entry numbers a significant boost!

GCK - Guerlain Chicherit - Renault Megane RS RX (World RX)
GCK - Anton Marklund - Renault Megane RS RX (World RX)
GCK - Cyril Raymond - Renault Clio RS RX (World RX)
GCK - Guillaume de Ridder - Renault Clio RS RX (World RX)

Old 5 Mar 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3888413)   #294
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I still think we need at least 15 permanent to make at least a reasonable go of it. 12 means that everyone gets to the semis, which is silly.

Of course there’s still the chance that we’ll see 2 Hansens on the grid. If (and this is a very big if) we see a Hansen team, full time drives for the open ES and Stard seats and then Bakkerud in a second Audi then we’ve got a half decent line up against all odds.

Interestingly I note that EKS have their R8 for sale on raccarsdirect. It was only used for a bit of ice testing last year and that’s it...wonder why it wasn’t used and why it’s now being sold? Perhaps trying to raise more budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 Mar 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3888423)   #295
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how competitive that Clio is: would rather have seen Raymond in the Megane and Marklund in the Clio. Surprised not to see Liam Doran involved as well.
Could switch Raymond for Chicherit as well really. Marklund brings money though (and a trailer, haha) so I guess Doran couldn't match it.

Quote:
I still think we need at least 15 permanent to make at least a reasonable go of it. 12 means that everyone gets to the semis, which is silly.
The European rounds will probably see more than 12 cars with non-regular entries.

Posted it before but Pål Try is entering Abu Dhabi, Spa and Riga with STARD.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/holj...epa=SEARCH_BOX
Old 5 Mar 2019, 23:10 (Ref:3888516)   #296
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont think Doran has Monster anymore to the level he had, and is used to having a huge budget, so perhaps that is why, no shock really after his behaviour recently
Old 6 Mar 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3888526)   #297
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Semi-cryptic Monster Energy Facebook post this evening suggests that there may be a Monster-backed team coming (which figures given the absence of PSRXVW).

Some comments on Facebook suggesting that Liam Doran is connected to Prodrive somehow. Total stab in the dark here: Doran and Bakkerud reunited under a Monster banner again?
Old 6 Mar 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3888550)   #298
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That certainly gives the entry numbers a significant boost!

GCK - Guerlain Chicherit - Renault Megane RS RX (World RX)
GCK - Anton Marklund - Renault Megane RS RX (World RX)
GCK - Cyril Raymond - Renault Clio RS RX (World RX)
GCK - Guillaume de Ridder - Renault Clio RS RX (World RX)

Strange that some teams did not presented the team drivers, as today the entry list would be reveiled.
So this is it?
No T & K Hansen
No Bakkerud
Who's driving for ES?

Also no word of Grosset Janin, Jeanney, Demoustier, Loeb Motorsport,
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3888574)   #299
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
We’ll find out later.

The Monster announcement refers to the first event so I don’t think is a team announcement. I’d definitely be surprised if they’re sponsoring Liam again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 Mar 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3888577)   #300
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
We’ll find out later.

The Monster announcement refers to the first event so I don’t think is a team announcement. I’d definitely be surprised if they’re sponsoring Liam again.
Yeah, I may have been overthinking the significance of the post...

...probably a teaser for night racing at Abu Dhabi?