Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jan 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3873685)   #76
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Yes! But for totally different reasons.
????
Old 2 Jan 2019, 20:00 (Ref:3873689)   #77
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So, who is going to be running Historic F1 cars. I am being told that a couple of teams are packing up. Your neighbours could be busy Mike.

Interesting. Not sure they would want any more F1s! You could see them also running cars in other categories....

Wonder what’s going on- maybe the owners are losing interest?
Old 2 Jan 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3873718)   #78
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Anyway I’ve only just got over man flue same as Tim’s now got blooming cold . I give up .
Old 2 Jan 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3873719)   #79
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If you chaps are not OAP's what are you doing here? Bigger orf, and start a Classic Racing Today Forum
Yeaaa and learn to spell croissant .
Old 2 Jan 2019, 23:09 (Ref:3873727)   #80
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If you want BIG you need one of these....

http://www.mcklein-calendars.com/mot...-calendar.html

My Xmas prezzy to myself every year....
What a great looking calendar. At over AU$60.00 is a bit of a hit for us downunder, but it looks beautiful, and as you say if size is your thing.....

Deffo on my (long) list of potential personal indulgences.
Thanks for the pointer Mike.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 23:22 (Ref:3873729)   #81
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lol.... re the calendar above I have just found it 'on special' at the 'Book Depository'.... offering a massive saving of AU$0.13c. Yes a whole 13 cents off. Thats almost 10p in your money!
Old 3 Jan 2019, 04:23 (Ref:3873741)   #82
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Lol.... re the calendar above I have just found it 'on special' at the 'Book Depository'.... offering a massive saving of AU$0.13c. Yes a whole 13 cents off. Thats almost 10p in your money!

Typical Amazon.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 05:42 (Ref:3873744)   #83
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
What a great looking calendar. At over AU$60.00 is a bit of a hit for us downunder, but it looks beautiful, and as you say if size is your thing.....

Deffo on my (long) list of potential personal indulgences.
Thanks for the pointer Mike.

Well it certainly floats my boat, but as you say, isn't cheap. Even here it pays to shop around as delivery /postage rates vary hugely between suppliers. (Sadly) the cheapest is usually that big warehouse operation named after a South American river....

During the season the calendar hangs in the living area of my truck, where it adds a bit of class....
Old 3 Jan 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3873745)   #84
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LOL the calendar is too big to fit on my phone screen! Looks nice though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Jan 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3873748)   #85
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suggest that next year we launch our own Ten Tenths Historic Racing Today Calendar using photos of the various posters.

I invite suggestions for the various months of the year For obvious reasons we would have VivaGT feature as Mr April.

No doubt that prolific poster of 'selfies', Gordon would have to be included somewhere.*

* I add the 'laugh' hoping to avoid giving offence!!!
Old 3 Jan 2019, 08:20 (Ref:3873749)   #86
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I suggest that next year we launch our own Ten Tenths Historic Racing Today Calendar using photos of the various posters.

I invite suggestions for the various months of the year For obvious reasons we would have VivaGT feature as Mr April.

No doubt that prolific poster of 'selfies', Gordon would have to be included somewhere.*

An excellent idea, Bob. Could be a nice little fund-raiser for something.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 08:31 (Ref:3873750)   #87
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Andy, do you know if the Foundation compares life spans between the always wild animals and the freed-from-zoos arrivals?

I read that the typical life of a wild male lion is about 13yrs.

The allegedly timid one recently shot dead at the wildlife centre in the USA was, reportedly, 14 years old. A comparable period of life.

If the animals in a protected environment generally live longer (and presumably healthier) lives it presents some sort of moral dilemma about whether they should be cared for or should be left to fight things out with their peers and other animals in a wild environment.

Obviously it is just a human dilemma since the other animals are unlikely to care much one way or the other - except for competitive males of the same species who no doubt care greatly about the presence of a potentially competing male.
I dont know the answer about the difference in life span i am afraid, Grant. And the issue of health is a moot point - Zoo kept animals are known to exhibit signs of poor mental health, presumably due to being kept in a space about 1% or less of the space they are used to roaming in.

ETA - a lion pride typically roams in an area of approx 100 mikes square. Not surprising they get stressed about being cooped up in a small enclosure.

Last edited by andy97; 3 Jan 2019 at 08:39.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3873756)   #88
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a recent post , " grantp " referred to a SAS EXERCISE .
I wonder if he was thinking about this story which has appeared in the last few days .
https://www.rt.com/news/447843-rendl...revenge-prank/

While I do not believe most of what the media says , this story does answer a long standing mystery .

Many years ago , myself & a couple of friends did a lot of rabbit shooting .
One of the places we would go was Rendlesham forest .
There is a lot of open fields , heathland & the forest parts with dirt roads through a lot of it .
We would drive along slowly , see the rabbits in our lights & shoot them with scoped up [ quiet ] rifles . [ Not strictly legal shooting within 50 yds of a road or footpath , but game dealers paid a good price for our rabbits because they were not ripped apart like being killed with a shotgun ].

Anyway , one night we were going through a wooded part when we saw a helicopter ahead , it was just over the top of the trees , & seemed to have ropes to the ground .
Although it was dark , we could see that it was not Air Sea Rescue , [ Yellow ] , I don,t think Police had them then , so it must be Military .
Not wanting to get involved we cleared off to another area , thinking , " What the heck are they doing in the forest , in the dark , about 1 mile outside the Woodbridge Air Base .

It was not until quite some time later that the Rendlesham UFO story hit the headlines , & I then realised it was at the time we were there .

So , although the E T believers will always think of Rendlesham as Britains Roswell , this new [ apparently well researched ] story clears up a mystery for me .
Old 3 Jan 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3873766)   #89
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that the car driver in the accident that cost the life of Henry Hope-Frost has pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving. He was given a 2-year community punishment order, 60 days curfew and 200 hours unpaid work. Plus ordered to pay just over £700 in prosecution costs.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3873767)   #90
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Thank's Baub, it's reassuring to know that the season of goodwill is now well & truely over!
Old 3 Jan 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3873768)   #91
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Why make such a dreadful suggestion - unless you'd be the one who needs bigger buns during the photo shoot, to hide the baubles...
Old 3 Jan 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3873788)   #92
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
Happy New Year everybody
Happy new year to you and Jan, hope you're both well and not getting too large on all that Spanish food
Old 3 Jan 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3873792)   #93
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
In a recent post , " grantp " referred to a SAS EXERCISE .
I wonder if he was thinking about this story which has appeared in the last few days .
https://www.rt.com/news/447843-rendl...revenge-prank/

You made the right connection. And added great additional colour to the story! Interesting.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3873800)   #94
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Why make such a dreadful suggestion - unless you'd be the one who needs bigger buns during the photo shoot, to hide the baubles...
Peter, I am thinking that the selected personal will take part in a 'fully exposed' shoot at the VSCC Pomeroy Trophy meeting at Silverstone in early February, posing alongside some of the vintage and historic cars. The resultant calendar would be titled 'Older Models'. I would love to be amongst the lucky posers, however, some poor devil has to take the pictures …………………….
Old 3 Jan 2019, 15:57 (Ref:3873802)   #95
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just as a test run why not do a calendar for this year. I bags March as that is my birthday month. hears my photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	Arnott at VSCC Mallory August 2015.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	52365.You will have to let us know how much and best way to pay you Bob.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3873807)   #96
bauble
Veteran

England
Good idea Iain, I have Lancsbreaker, and Mike B in my portfolio, and maybe andy97, so if we can inveigle a few more contributions from members - we have a goer!

POA.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 16:38 (Ref:3873808)   #97
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's my picture of me. So fast the photographer missed me...
Old 3 Jan 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3873824)   #98
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good idea Iain, I have Lancsbreaker, and Mike B in my portfolio, and maybe andy97, so if we can inveigle a few more contributions from members - we have a goer!

POA.
Arrh, but i am now Caterham mounted, Bauble, and i am not sure thats allowed in the historic section, even if the car its based in (who said “replica” or was it “continuation”, or “recreation” or ....!!!???) can be traced back to the 50s probably!
Old 3 Jan 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3873829)   #99
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
You could have this picture of me for April (as kindly suggested)
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Mini.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	52366
Could it be classed as historic? The picture was taken in 1982?
Old 3 Jan 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3873837)   #100
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Any good?
Copenhagen Historic GP in September
Attached Thumbnails
A40#4.jpg