Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3922465)   #76
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully this does not ruin both of their careers, particularly that of Albon. Not that Gasly's performance to date this year (with rare exceptions) warranted the promotion he got..... one that was arguably forced on Red Bull by Danny Ric's unexpected and late departure decision.

Being Max's team mate with half a season's F1 experience is a big ask on Albon...
Old 12 Aug 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3922471)   #77
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Marker in to bring up nationality again in page 10.
This could be the new Webber to Renault!

Any discussion about Max... the answer to any question can be... "Well, you know it's because he is Belgian and not Dutch". Say it as a statement and not a question.

Richard
Old 12 Aug 2019, 17:56 (Ref:3922472)   #78
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
always been curious myself...but i would think the week after Germany/last race the teams need to transport everything back to the factory and break it down and then a week before Spa they are back on the move again.

so effectively its just a two week break starting this Monday morning perhaps?

but either way, the drivers will no doubt still be training and, as karting said, they already got the seat fitting out of the way.

i would be curious to know if your friend had said anything about a Kvyat seat fitting as well.

and a side question...had RBR nominated a reserve driver earlier in the year? i thought it may have been Buemi?
I asked him at the time funnily about kyvat and he said he wasn’t at the factory.

He goes on Holiday tomorrow for two weeks, so the factory is shut then to employees. There will be builders in though renovating stuff and engineers servicing the machines. So even though the factory is shut to F1 employees there will be people working there
Old 12 Aug 2019, 18:01 (Ref:3922474)   #79
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hopefully this does not ruin both of their careers, particularly that of Albon. Not that Gasly's performance to date this year (with rare exceptions) warranted the promotion he got..... one that was arguably forced on Red Bull by Danny Ric's unexpected and late departure decision.

Being Max's team mate with half a season's F1 experience is a big ask on Albon...
RBR is just throwing drivers at a wall and seeing which ones stick. I think the problem is that young drivers are so hungry to get to the top of the F1 pyramid that they will gladly step into the mouth of the Red Bull lion. Then it's sink or swim.

If I was any driver that was promoted first to Toro Rosso, it clearly has to be on their mind that they might be called up to RBR at any time and that they might fail in a way that they might later decided was not particularly fair (not saying F1 is fair as it is dog eat dog)... or succeed and make their career (such as Max has).

Max Verstappen. The Belgian F1 trendsetter and future world champion!

Richard

PS: I am a bit over the top with respect to my idiom usage today! I didn't plan it that way.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3922475)   #80
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Welcome to page 1 of this thread! I say when the topic of his nationality dies down. And we want to derail the discussion again. Just post... "Isn't Max Belgian and not Dutch? He was born in Belgium!"

Richard
Legally one takes place of Birth followed by Mothers Nationalaty as triggers so how is he Dutch unless he formally applied for Dutchness
Old 12 Aug 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3922476)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Legally one takes place of Birth followed by Mothers Nationalaty as triggers so how is he Dutch unless he formally applied for Dutchness
Facts must not be allowed to cloud this discussion.

I will stop talking about this. As mentioned above... we are scheduled to restart this topic on page 10. This current discussion is premature.

Richard
Old 12 Aug 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3922479)   #82
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My Cypriot-born to an Irish-mother wife is legally British?
Old 12 Aug 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3922483)   #83
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Everyone has been making fun of me - not literally but still - but that is indeed what happened.
He had both the Dutch and Belgian nationality as a kid.
When he turned 18 he chose Dutch nationality, and no longer has a Belgian passport at this time.
The few Belgain media who (still) claim he is half-Belgian are factually wrong, even if that was right 4 years ago.

I have posted a few links to Dutch and Belgian articles a few pages back.

Quote:
Legally one takes place of Birth followed by Mothers Nationalaty as triggers
I think the regulation for nationality at birth is not the same everywhere in the world.
* The son of a (German) friend of mine is born in the USA. The kid is American, the parents are not.
* 2 good friends of mine (both Belgian) moved to Switzerland 7 years ago. Both their kids were born there, but they are not Swiss but Belgian. They will need to follow a procedure to get Swiss ID (which is what they want, eventually, because they plan on staying there) but they still have to wait a few years before they can even start that.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
and a side question...had RBR nominated a reserve driver earlier in the year? i thought it may have been Buemi?
Indeed, Buemi. Not that it matters much...

Last edited by gert; 12 Aug 2019 at 20:51.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3922498)   #84
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Let's face it, Gasly has been poor. Maybe the car wasn't to his liking, I don't know. But bearing in mind that the whole team is inevitably focussed on Max, it's a roll of the dice I'd have taken.
Absolutely they want the points, the chance of more points that is can’t blame them...
Old 13 Aug 2019, 00:52 (Ref:3922510)   #85
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is most probably Marko seeing the money at the end of the rainbow. Someone (it may have been here) pointed out that the higher the team finishes in the WCC ladder the more money they get and I am guessing Marko is a fairly mercenary character when it comes to money. He was a driver & competitor many years ago and most probably does not like the way Gasley was so far behind. People who are highly competitive have no patience and want to see results NOW.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 01:08 (Ref:3922511)   #86
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Belgian Dutch what’s the difference??

(I jest)
Old 13 Aug 2019, 02:24 (Ref:3922516)   #87
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Belgian Dutch what’s the difference??

(I jest)

Funny isn't it - 2 small countries, each at most 100km or so wide that would take an allegedly Dutch or Belgian driver maybe an hour and a half to traverse.

Daniel Ricciardo meanwhile, when at his "home" GP is 36 hours driving hours (plus stops) from his actual home (Perth).

But maybe with his Italian lineage, his "home" GP might be in Europe? But then he DID say that he really likes Austin so maybe the US would be the go? (BTW - I'm jesting too!)

Good thread, really enjoying it and yeah, big move to change drivers on Red Bull's part but for whatever reason, Mr Gasly has been struggling big time. Hopefully he ends up feeling a little more at home in the Torro Rosso and can work on getting some confidence back.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 02:51 (Ref:3922518)   #88
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
his mom is Belgian, but the same can be said for Lance Stroll
Lance Stroll is Dutch? You learn something new every day.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 02:57 (Ref:3922519)   #89
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Let's face it, Gasly has been poor. Maybe the car wasn't to his liking, I don't know. But bearing in mind that the whole team is inevitably focussed on Max, it's a roll of the dice I'd have taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Absolutely they want the points, the chance of more points that is can’t blame them...
It’s not outrageous. They probably won’t do worse.

And this is how Red Bull operates. They will rarely stick with a driver, support and nurture. Other teams do this and it can work for them. Red Bull won’t get the benefit of that method. However, if they go through enough they’ll find a diamond. It has worked with Max. What’s there strike rate, 1 in 10?
Old 13 Aug 2019, 05:07 (Ref:3922524)   #90
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
However, if they go through enough they’ll find a diamond. It has worked with Max. What’s there strike rate, 1 in 10?

Also worked in the case of Sebastian Vettel and Danny Ricciardo. Wich would seem to improve their strike rate.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 05:09 (Ref:3922525)   #91
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Lance Stroll is Dutch? You learn something new every day.
I thought he must be descended from a SLOW worm
Old 13 Aug 2019, 05:43 (Ref:3922528)   #92
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
RBR is just throwing drivers at a wall and seeing which ones stick.
I think the URL of the Autosport link on my phone sums it up

Old 13 Aug 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3922531)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have to say this is a bit of a risky move from RBR. Considering Gasly was probably promoted too soon, let's replace him with someone in the middle of his first season! Albon has been good so far, but while Max did replace Kyvat midway through 2016, he did at least a full season under his belt. We'll see if this actually pays off for both parties
Old 13 Aug 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3922537)   #94
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
He had both the Dutch and Belgian nationality as a kid.
When he turned 18 he chose Dutch nationality, and no longer has a Belgian passport at this time.
The few Belgain media who (still) claim he is half-Belgian are factually wrong, even if that was right 4 years ago.

Verstappen may have decided to only retain and therefore use his Dutch passport, but has he actually gone as far as to have his Belgian nationality revoked?

There is a big difference. Almost like a man deciding to self identify as a women.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3922544)   #95
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Verstappen may have decided to only retain and therefore use his Dutch passport, but has he actually gone as far as to have his Belgian nationality revoked?

There is a big difference. Almost like a man deciding to self identify as a women.
I'm not aware of Verstappen renouncing his Belgian nationality with the Belgian authorities, so he will still legally retain it under Belgian law.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3922547)   #96
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Would he want to identify with a nation that puts mayonnaise on its chips?...
Old 13 Aug 2019, 09:21 (Ref:3922548)   #97
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Would he want to identify with a nation that puts mayonnaise on its chips?...
Now that is the most important question that has been raised in the whole Nationality debate!
Old 13 Aug 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3922558)   #98
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

It's not like he revoked it, it's more like he didn't confirm/renew/requested it.
You don't have a "real" passport until you turn 18 -- in Belgium, may be different in other parts of the world.

When you turn 18, you have to formally register for an ID card. Those with a double nationality can choose to not apply for one and choose their other nationality.

I am not sure if applying for one nationality would have had consequences on the other nationality. There seem to be different regulations for that all over the world.

* If you are Dutch and apply for (and get) Swiss nationality, you will automatically lose Dutch nationality - as per Dutch law
* If you are Belgian and apply for (and get) Swiss nationality, you can still be Belgian as well

I live near the Dutch/Belgian border, and we have a broad mix of Belgian and Dutch people living here. As far as I know none of the adults has a double nationality (anymore), while some of the kids still do.
I am not sure if that's by law, or just their choice.

--

Frankly, I don't think there was much benefit for Max to be formally Dutch *and* Belgian -- if that was possible at all.
If he had picked up Belgian nationality (too), he would have been bound to a few Belgian annoyances: like for instance: voting is mandatory for every Belgian citizen.
Those regulations have since been eased a bit for Belgians living abroad, but I can't imagine Max being very interested in that.

I don't think a Belgian nationality would offer him any benefits that he didn't already get through his Dutch nationality.

(Of course that's totally different for non-European people who combine their original nationality with Belgian or Dutch or ... )

--

Of course, I agree that Belgium still means something special to Max even if he is not formally half-Belgian anymore, be it by choice or by law.
Old 13 Aug 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3922560)   #99
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Afaik he only races under a Dutch licence. He’s under the same nationality of duel Dutch/Belgian
Old 13 Aug 2019, 10:30 (Ref:3922561)   #100
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Afaik he only races under a Dutch licence. He’s under the same nationality of duel Dutch/Belgian
No, that changed when he turned 18 and applied for Dutch nationality only. I posted a few Dutch links a few pages back.

--

EDIT:

Regulations for dual nationality can be tricky, especially when picking up one nationality triggers an automatic revoke of the other one.
And of course every regualtion has a few exceptions

https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...al-nationality
https://www.government.nl/topics/dut...ch-nationality
https://www.government.nl/binaries/g...ber+105927.pdf

I think if Max wanted to identify as Dutch, it was far easier to just apply for Dutch nationality only and not bother with any of the regulations or exceptions of either country

Last edited by gert; 13 Aug 2019 at 10:47.