Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 13 Dec 2010, 01:54 (Ref:2803576)   #51
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post

I still honestly believe that Webber (at this stage) is a better racer than Vettel who is just not very good when behind. But if Vettel has pole and gets away cleanly,
]joke]Who needs to be a better racer when they are fastest guy out there and usually on pole [/joke]

I don't think that Marks that much better than Seb coming through the field, look at Australia for example.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 07:16 (Ref:2803640)   #52
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I don't think that Marks that much better than Seb coming through the field, look at Australia for example.
I don't think anyone is great coming through the field with the current cars. Look at the problems Hamilton had at at Monza and Singapore.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2803677)   #53
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I don't think anyone is great coming through the field with the current cars. Look at the problems Hamilton had at at Monza and Singapore.
Indeed.

Although Seb, who some feel isn't a great "racer" had great success coming through the field from the back at Silverstone.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 10:53 (Ref:2803748)   #54
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest, it has been ages since anyone was great coming through the field...
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2804107)   #55
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Give Kobayashi a Red Bull and let him come through the field. I reckon you might have seen more passing moves in one race than the whole field together for the season.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2804143)   #56
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australians take it easy - if you're disgruntled with Mateschitz & Marko & Vettel for the misleading that derived in Webber losing his championship, then boycott the use of Red Bull in entire Australia, use another energy drink brands!!! (Even you could have help from sanitary departments of your Government.)
Old 14 Dec 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2804144)   #57
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Give Kobayashi a Red Bull and let him come through the field. I reckon you might have seen more passing moves in one race than the whole field together for the season.
That could be thrilling !

Hopefully not tragic...
Old 15 Dec 2010, 01:59 (Ref:2804592)   #58
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Indeed.

Although Seb, who some feel isn't a great "racer" had great success coming through the field from the back at Silverstone.
Well, not really. He was nowhere and having a sook at the back until the safety car. Wasnt there a rollin groad block in front of him and he was having to get the hurry up calls from pit wall?!?!?!

He did an ok job of barging through a few of the slower cars in the closing laps....but it was hardly decisive.

Its right to criticise Webbers Aussie GP, he got flustered having a quicker car languishing back in the field. But think about how busy a race it had been for him and how much overtaking he had done to that point in changeable conditions....all up its eay to remember the move that went wrong...but he passed Hamo, Alonso, Massa etc on the day...some twice.

His drive in Spa was mature, Canada pulled a few nice moves including an early race move on Button. Much like in Monza on Schuey, Kubica and Hulk, Kobayashi etc.

It seems easy to forget some good recovery drives from Webber....come to think of it I will include Singapore as a recovery drive as well. Though others will say the incident with Hamilton clouds the performance...in a sense I think it strengthens the drive that he defended/contended his position and was able to place the car where he made it uber difficult to be passed just within the letter of the law...but others view it different and I understand why.

Last edited by OZ_HCR32; 15 Dec 2010 at 02:07.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2804748)   #59
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
...but others view it different and I understand why.
Well, I am happy to leave it at that. I view it differently, but at least you understand why!
Old 15 Dec 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2804762)   #60
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that if you were to ask Mark Webber why he lost the WDC, I think that he would say, despite everything else, that it was his fault.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2804901)   #61
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I think that if you were to ask Mark Webber why he lost the WDC, I think that he would say, despite everything else, that it was his fault.
I agree.

Actually I was reading his interview just now and had to have a little snigger over his answer to the question surrounding his late season 'loss of form'.

His answer was words to the effect of 'Nah, we couldnt match Seb, but we were still close on pace. Loss of form is having a season a bit like Felipe!'

That says it all to me. It says also Seb, even in Mark's eyes, was a deserving champ but 'we' ran him close is still pretty good. And that is a pretty realistic and honest view.

He certainly wont have the worries and stress that Felipe will have reflecting on 2010, especially after Luca's pretty blunt words yesterday.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2804943)   #62
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
He certainly wont have the worries and stress that Felipe will have reflecting on 2010, especially after Luca's pretty blunt words yesterday.
Absolutely.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 23:15 (Ref:2806713)   #63
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Mark thinks he can have another crack at the championship. See the following :-

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/201220...le-chance.html

I doubt he will get another chance. Sure, next year I think he will win races, but Seb I think is just the faster driver and will win more. It similar to the Coulthard/Häkkinen situation. We have seen it many times before. Most recently with Schumi and Rosberg! But you get my point, one driver is just better than the other in the team.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2807319)   #64
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Vettel must be favourite for the title but it's still in Webber's interest to fight hard for it. Seb could hit a bad patch or miss races through suspension or injury. There'd be no point settling for being No.2 at this stage.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2807326)   #65
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Apparently Mark thinks he can have another crack at the championship.
Anyone in a decent car can do this. He just needs to get the right balance of good driving (definitely up there), bad mistakes (Valencia must have hurt) and luck (doesn't get his fair share) to do it. More than anything else these days it seems that circumstances rather than driver talent brings home the big W. So you have to be lucky as well as good.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2807360)   #66
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I think Webber has everything he needs to be WDC, including his fair share of luck or bad luck...
Old 22 Dec 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2807415)   #67
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
and luck (doesn't get his fair share) to do it.
I'd say that for sure, Mark isn't the luckiest driver - up until this season.

He had more luck than most. No mechanical incidents, involved in 3 on track incidents - Australia, Turkey and Singapore where he still managed to score good points, (ok - Australia he finished 9th, but thats better than not scoring at all).

The only time he didn't score points were in the 2 incidents, Valencia and Korea that were his own fault.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2807527)   #68
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He could have won in Canada but for a gearbox problem and penalty. He had engine dramas in Brazil and there was another race wich I cant recall at the minute where he had issues where he had to use low load on the engine. He did manage to still finish in those races , often with good points. But he was luckier in that he still finished when he had problems

Where as Seb ofen didnt. How much of that is down to driver though. I remember when Seb had a wounded car he was on the radio asking about fastest laps? He didnt seem to want to pace himself to a finish....but that may not be fair or any realy contributer to his car giving up. He did seem to have brake problems in a few races this year
Old 23 Dec 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2807902)   #69
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark is one of the luckiest drivers around, never understood this bad luck suggestion.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2807932)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's unlucky in the same was DC was unlucky.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2807933)   #71
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this year all the bad luck he'd had in his career so far was cancelled out by all the good luck he had

The disappointing thing is he didn't take full advantage of it
Old 24 Dec 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2808090)   #72
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I think this year all the bad luck he'd had in his career so far was cancelled out by all the good luck he had

The disappointing thing is he didn't take full advantage of it
So in the end, that was bad luck.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2808093)   #73
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah, he just ran out of talent
Old 25 Dec 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2808456)   #74
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Nah, he just ran out of talent
Ouch !
Old 25 Dec 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2808467)   #75
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Well, no point trying to spin reality - or "beat around the bush", as we Brits would say