Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Jan 2012, 08:28 (Ref:3012195)   #426
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hiya,

Not knowing much about Indycars, what's changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was going to go but with that excuse for a race car it has really changed my mind.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3012456)   #427
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was going to go but with that excuse for a race car it has really changed my mind.
Are you serious? Don't be that guy.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3012626)   #428
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
An ugly and slow 2003-vintage Dallara replaced by a possibly even uglier and slower 2012 Dallara.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3012628)   #429
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How 'bout dem cowboys.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3012781)   #430
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Are you serious? Don't be that guy.
Agreed.

Its a cracking event, get there.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3012866)   #431
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There's no reason not to go if you're up to going. Even the old Dullara was capable of creating a good race on its day and there's no major reason this vulture-dallara can't produce something good either.

Maybe get to the race now before Tony George buries the series completely!
Old 17 Jan 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3012970)   #432
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Hiya,

Completely neutral response (so you can make your own mind up):

Indycar are replacing the old Dallara which had been used since 2003 with a brand new design. In previous years, Honda supplied a control engine, but now Honda, Chevrolet and Lotus/Judd are supplying teams. The cars are not quite on performance terms with the sorts of cars that used to race at Indy pre-1996 (the year the Indy Racing League was formed) or the sorts of cars which raced in CART/Champ Car, but they are around the same as the cars that raced in more recent years. Also, the styling of the car is not particularly typical of a regular single seater racing car.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3024268)   #433
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Milwaukee IN!

Looks like Milwaukee is on. Please, someone go to it this time....

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...milwaukee-mile
Old 11 Feb 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3024386)   #434
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I've had lots of trouble this week to visit the Speed website. I can't see it. But I'm very happy by the news!
Old 11 Feb 2012, 22:36 (Ref:3024647)   #435
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ABC has asked for an early start time on Saturday, so it will be 11:30 AM local time. This means they can't do the one-day show they had planned. Michael Andretti is promoting it; doing the family angle for Father's Day with the three generations of Andrettis (who are all backed by GoDaddy.com this year as an endorsement; wonder if that has anything to do with the sponsorship of the race, since they were already all along the backstretch last year).

Only problem? Same weekend as Le Mans. Sébastien Bourdais will either sacrifice his bid for title, or his dreams of winning his home race (admittedly, he's not exactly with the best team in either series this year, so I guess his chances for either aren't that high).
Old 11 Feb 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3024660)   #436
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bourdais was driving for Peugeot, and they've pulled out of sportscar racing. Can't say I've heard Bourdais signing for anyone else, so it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I see he's signed for Pescarolo for Le Mans in the Dome. I guess he'll be contractually committed to them, given this race is a last minute addition.

A pity for him, but missing one race is like one DNF. Not the end of a season...

Last edited by Down F0rce; 11 Feb 2012 at 23:23.
Old 11 Feb 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3024663)   #437
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's a pity Toyota didn't pick him up for the long term, it'd have to be a crazy year for him to win with Pesca. It might still be win-win for Bourdais if he can fit in a 500 assault. The 500 is bigger than the title and the 500, with the new machine this year might very well be as open for the victory as it'll ever be.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 03:57 (Ref:3025093)   #438
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I thought I would drop a few tidbits. There have been some slight updates to the NZR Consulting website (Tony Cotman's track design group). Anyway, with regards to the Qingdao street circuit, it now says that seven of the nine straightaways have significant elevation change, and that from highest to lowest points around the circuit (still assuming it's the 3.87-mile monster they've been hinting about) is a difference of 200ft.

As to the recent announcements, I am definitely glad Milwaukee is back on the slate. It's also good to hear that it will be an ABC broadcast.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3025347)   #439
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andretti Sports Promotions will be the promoter for the June 17 race at the Milwaukee Mile.

Yes...Milwaukee is on this year's schedule now.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Feb 2012, 14:04 (Ref:3025729)   #440
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Fantastic news about Milwaukee.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3025972)   #441
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Agreed.

Its a cracking event, get there.
I have been before but not for many years.

That's really good news about Milwaukee, let's hope Andretti can do a good job of promoting it.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3031320)   #442
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been a huge oval fan, but i always enjoyed milwaukee. It was always close and really good racing.

I would maybe like a good mix of oval and road like in the good ol days which kinda looks like what they're working towards
Old 25 Apr 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3065623)   #443
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't have a good idea of what will actually get approved, but from what I can tell, there are currently three possible layouts for the Qingdao street circuit. Two are variations on the same base, with one coming to 2.85 miles and the other to 3.32 miles. The third, and my preference at present, is the 3.87-mile, waterfront course.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 01:01 (Ref:3065995)   #444
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I've only found this, and they don't tell the lengths. Do you have other sources?
Old 27 Apr 2012, 04:53 (Ref:3066009)   #445
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The NZR Consulting site currently says 2.85 miles, and finally they now have an illustration you can bring up on their website. The other place is the CIRCUITI site out of Italy (the site is in English also), which has two other proposals on it.

NZR Consulting (Tony Cotmans' track design group):
http://nzrconsulting.com/dev/

The Italian track database:
http://www.gdecarli.it/
Old 27 Apr 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3066173)   #446
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The other layout seems faster, with more high-speed left-right-left bends. This one seems to have relatively short straights.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 18:15 (Ref:3066268)   #447
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I did say my preference at this stage is for the waterfront layout.

That being said, I'm curious about some things with the other course. First, I haven't quite sorted out how to toggle up topography lines in Google Earth (or whatever), because the short description on NZR's site says 200ft difference between the high and low points. That's pretty darn substantial elevation change.

I'm hoping those roads around the stadiums are wide enough, though that's relatively minor at this time in my estimation. As for the straights on the 2.85-mile layout, the pit straight looks to be around 3,000ft, which is quite respectable, particularly for a street circuit. The straight on the right going down to the hairpin appears to be about a half-mile long (~2,640ft).
Old 31 May 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3082954)   #448
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The NZR Consulting site currently says 2.85 miles, and finally they now have an illustration you can bring up on their website. The other place is the CIRCUITI site out of Italy (the site is in English also), which has two other proposals on it.

NZR Consulting (Tony Cotmans' track design group):
http://nzrconsulting.com/dev/

The Italian track database:
http://www.gdecarli.it/
The NZR link no longer works, here is the new one:
http://www.nzrconsulting.com/drawing...0Map-Model.pdf

It appears to be the official design, as it is also on the IndyCar site:
http://www.indycar.com/Schedule/2012...ets-of-Qingdao
Old 1 Aug 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3114735)   #449
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Changes to Sonoma, to improve overtaking.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101678
Old 2 Aug 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3115196)   #450
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making some changes to Sonoma was about time. I'm a bit sceptical to the change of the final corner due to the runoff area becoming smaller, though.