Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 14 Dec 2007, 15:22 (Ref:2088823)   #26
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it's late December I expect there'll be a glut of "Christmas Carroll" or "Carroll singing..." headlines if he does well.
They've changed the pit-stop rules slightly for this race; no one will be allowed to pit during safety car periods (meaning we won't have a repeat of those drag races away from the pitline exit).
Old 14 Dec 2007, 22:17 (Ref:2089097)   #27
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Go Carroll/Team Ireland!!

No one would begrudge us our first win surely? It would give motorsport here a massive boost, believe me. Granted, it's only practice but it's great to be on the pace from the get go.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2089476)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That was an amazing qualifying session, more like snakes and ladders than anything else! It was certainly exciting, but at times a bit bewildering.

Sprint race grid: http://results.a1gp.com/gp.php?l=0&d=201&r=20072107&c=3
Feature race grid: http://results.a1gp.com/gp.php?l=0&d=201&r=20072108&c=3

I'm afraid Ireland dropped away a bit. Switzerland were almost as quick as they had been in Malaysia and GBR worked away to improve the car run-by-run.

The stand out performance for me was Narain Karthikeyan in the Feature Race qualifying, Frankie Cheng was also consistently quick in qualifying for his home event.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 17:42 (Ref:2089607)   #29
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very surprised Ireland were off the pace... Interesting to note that his practice lap is still the quickest of the weekend..I wouldn't rule out a sprint race victory!!
Old 15 Dec 2007, 19:41 (Ref:2089660)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Not that it matters, but Michael Ammermüller's Sprint race pole time was a fraction faster. One of the things that puzzles me is how the times as a whole have not improved much as the weekend progresses.

Whatever, I think we're in for a couple of very exciting races.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2089828)   #31
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ammermuller wins the sprint, but Narain wins the feature!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Narain & India, they'll be over the moon.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 10:58 (Ref:2089861)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
A cracking battle between Ammermuller and Zaugg in the feature race. Hard but (just about) fair.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 12:28 (Ref:2089899)   #33
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again some great racing and some amateurish mistakes all rolled into one.

Well done to India for their 1st win

My driver of both races :

Bias pick - Jonny Reid. Hard changer
Unbias pick - Cheng, China. A little local knowledge helps

Bring on Taupo

Last edited by NAC; 16 Dec 2007 at 12:30.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:19 (Ref:2089984)   #34
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm anyone else remember the Team GB management saying last year that they sacked Arden because they beleive they can do a better job themselves? Doesent seem to be the case so far does it.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 22:35 (Ref:2090144)   #35
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
It was a very entertaining day's racing and I'm looking forward to reading kiwi3's first hand comments.

For me, the best performances of the day were Frankie Cheng coming 3rd in the Sprint Race and, especially, Narain Karthikeyan winning the Feature Race, with big respect to Jonny Reid for coming through from 10th on the grid.

I didn't think there were that many overtaking opportunities, which was a shame and there was a lot of carnage in the Feature Race, but at least there looked to be a good crowd.

Both Switzerland and GBR had pit stop problems and the answer to the previous post is that since Team GBR started running their own show they have started winning races, which speaks for itself.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 23:51 (Ref:2090175)   #36
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
and the answer to the previous post is that since Team GBR started running their own show they have started winning races, which speaks for itself.
Who is to say Team GBR woudnt have gone on to win races anyway? It stands to reason that the more races you compete in the bigger the chance of you actually winning a race is. Look at Team GBR's championship postition now though in comparissan to the last couple of years. Sure 4th isnt bad and we arent half way through the season yet but I dont see Team GBR doing a better job at the moment with their own personnal than they did under Arden management.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 00:41 (Ref:2090213)   #37
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
either way, good to see Ammermuller can drive cleanly, that was a cracking race. Also great to see New Zealand have a good race, and Narain too. Was gutted for GBRs pit maladies, again, but not as half as gutted as the Swiss guys were...

A month til the next race tho, boo hoo
Old 17 Dec 2007, 02:35 (Ref:2090251)   #38
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
missed the sprint race, but the feature race was exciting. congrats to team india on the race win - team australia
Old 17 Dec 2007, 07:19 (Ref:2090320)   #39
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes India were over the moon. Also I was very impressed with that team over the weekend. They are well presented, appear well organised, there were media from India present and they have sponsor logos on the car. Hopefully A1GP will head to India next season, I now regret not asking that question while there.

The atmosphere was excellent with a large crowd packing out the grandstand, well done to Zhuhai for getting behind it.

I'll add more comments later but right now I'll calculate the prediction game scores.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2090507)   #40
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great weekend at Zhuhai and don't really know what to say. The grandstand was over 90% full and the crowd were very patriotic and vocal in their support of team China, so the atmosphere was great. The weather was perfect, the track suited A1GP and the action was entertaining all weekend long. It could not possibly have been a bigger contrast to the Beijing street circuit disaster last year.

The delight on the pit wall (besides in the grand stand) when China came third was terrific to see, as was the delight of the India team when they won the feature.

I think Zhuhai turned out to be a great choice of venue and surely they will return there next season.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:48 (Ref:2091191)   #41
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the feature race and was mightily impressed with so many different things. India, NZ, China, the charge by GBR, the circuit, the passing moves and the whole performance of the A1 concept. Bring on Taupo and I'll be at the creek for sure (again).