Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Oct 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2301730)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MGCC, Snetterton, 4/5 October, 2008

I've decided a trip to Snetterton would be kinder on my wallet and fatigue levels (and the environment!) than going to Donington this weekend, so who else is going?
Old 1 Oct 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2301958)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I was running in the 4 hour event but due to one team member suffering serious damage to his car at Spa last weekend and another with man flu (thanks Mr Mallett) we have cancelled although I may see if I can transfer my entry over to the Thoroughbreds race.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2301961)   #3
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sharing a MG Montego in the 4Hour event
Old 1 Oct 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2302066)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did'nt know it was on,the four hour sounds good though,shame my engine's dead!
Old 1 Oct 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2302187)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I was running in the 4 hour event but due to one team member suffering serious damage to his car at Spa last weekend and another with man flu (thanks Mr Mallett) we have cancelled although I may see if I can transfer my entry over to the Thoroughbreds race.
I didn't damage any cars!
Old 1 Oct 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2302234)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
No, it's the man flu you gave to Mr K
Old 1 Oct 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2302362)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm kicking around Saturday evening and Sunday mopping up Penelope Pitstop's oil and polishing MG David's brake discs. No race car working so I'm just making a nuisance of myself "helping" those otherwise engaged.
Old 1 Oct 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2302413)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
yep, team # 25, with the Midget fresh from the Nordschleife 400km and the Monty not fresh at all! Do look in and say hi if you are near pit 25...
Old 3 Oct 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2303379)   #9
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm popping over for a spot of spectating since my self inflicted (temporary) withdrawl from the driving seat.

Anyone got an idea of the timetable? Not sure whether to go Saturday (most likely) or Sunday. I want to see an Equipe race and the Thoroughbreds if I can.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2303417)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Dave, timetable is here

OK my car is repaired....ish and I'm now doing the Thoroughbreds race

Last edited by Tim Falce; 3 Oct 2008 at 12:43.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2303497)   #11
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim,

Thanks for that - looks like you've got yourself an early start on Saturday then!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2303607)   #12
Rovcoup
Racer

England
Worthing,west sussex
Rovcoup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iam there in my Tomcat with the Lunar racing team #17 in the 4hr race on sunday
Old 4 Oct 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2304215)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
OMG, what were the scrutineers on this morning? It was like queueing up in Tescos, start on the shortest line and watch everyone get done first. The guy who did mine then told me "you're no the driver are you" when I replied "yes I am, why" he said "I need to see your overalls", well I was wearing them so I'm not sure how he missed them.

JT, nice to see you there and sorry I didn't recognise you but you shouldn't try and confuse me by shaving.

I had an excellent race only to be outdragged from the exit of Sears to the chequered flag by fellow Dtype racer Peter Dubsky by around 200ths of a second.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2304575)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to catch up with you, too, Tim, and also Ken Paton, as well as, for the first time, Rod Begbie (TVR Gantura), another 10-Tenther, down from Aberdeen. There was some great racing and some interesting moments, some of which I captured. The most dramatic event of the day was the series of barrel rolls undertaken by Rob Spencer's MGB GTV8 when he got onto the grass on the exit of Coram and one side of car dug in and launched him. We reckon at least 5 rolls, and the height the car reached off the ground was extraordinary. It was the most violent roll I personally have seen in over 40 years of spectating, and a massive relief to see Rob get out of the car and walk away unaided - a real testament to the strength of the roll cage and safety harness.

I'm afraid the commentary irritated a little with the occasional high pitched rendition of 'whoosh, whoosh' as well as the odd comment which suggested that the spectators were mainly composed of children! Nevertheless, a good meeting, and I was rather surprised not to see more MGCC members cars in the car parks. The forecast may have put a lot of people off, but in fact, the rain pretty much held off all day although the wind made it feel a lot colder than it actually was. I have 'bottled out' of going back today, as the cold wind has now been joined by rain, but I deny all charges of being a 'fair weather' enthusiast.

Pics, later!
Old 5 Oct 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2304592)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My buddy and Autosport snapper Richard Styles got a great sequence of yesterday's roll which he e-mailed to me last night. The most spectacular one I ever saw was also at Snett, back in the 1960s when a Mini looped the loop several times at the Esses, now known as the bombhole. The only injury was a broken foot, but this was after he had crawled from the wreckage and kicked the car a bit too hard in revenge!
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2304609)   #16
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,
Unfortunately todays racing has just been abandoned due to standing water. Surely that never happened in the sixties ? Tyres too wde me thinks.1000 hp on Morris minor wheels and tyres sounds like a good bet to me !!!
Oh well off home to watch motors TV in the dry.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2304616)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Andy and Richard, good to see you, too, yesterday. Looks like I made a good decision today; when was the last time a meeting at Snetterton was abandoned through standing water?
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2304618)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This year! 750MC
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2304620)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by restyles
Hi All,
Unfortunately todays racing has just been abandoned due to standing water. Surely that never happened in the sixties ? Tyres too wde me thinks.1000 hp on Morris minor wheels and tyres sounds like a good bet to me !!!
Oh well off home to watch motors TV in the dry.
That is bad news for the club.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2304625)   #20
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
I did mention to the powers that be that a major feature of the proposed circuit re-development should involve circuit drainage. This problem seems to be a regular feature in these days of global warming !! Not left circuit yet and the rain looks to be easing. Too late now though. Yes John you made a wise decision today !
Old 5 Oct 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2304637)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
This year! 750MC
Good grief! As Richard says, we can but hope that the revisions include adequate rainwater dispersal. Actually, I'm sure it will!
Old 5 Oct 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2304678)   #22
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
John did your Rob Spencer roll shots turn out OK ? I will not post if yours are OK .. and I suspect they are equal or better than mine anyway.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2304694)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
You are joking, right, Richard? Mine are Ok, but are hardly likely to be in your league. I'll probably include one or two when I get around to the pictorial review. As official Autosport photographer for the meeting, you might want to wait until after thursday before you post any here!
Old 5 Oct 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2304706)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bomb Hole and exit of Russell are notorious for retaining water,lets hope they will incorporate extra drainage with the new lay-out.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2304757)   #25
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just got back - 400 mile round trip for no racing! Yes it was all called off, the weather was positively Noah-like in the night, the "fire lane" at the back of the pits was like a white water run, Russell was a torrent across the track and apparently it was one lane only at bomb hole.

They did all they could, loads of tractors pumping water off the tarmac but to no avail. It was a good call. My compliments to the marshals who were on post at crack of dawn in the rain and not to see a car.

BTW we were watching when the V8 flipped, seen little like it. S-o grateful when Rob climbed out, especially when it turned out we were stood right next to his wife and son. What a great job the marshals did clearing it all up so there were a couple of laps under green after the safety car. I thought that was a red flag for sure. Well done.