Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Jun 2003, 15:01 (Ref:624618)   #1
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is that a Black and Yellow flag or are you just pleased to see me?

Interesting episode at a recent race meeting which pulls together a couple of other threads (Radio or Telephones and B/Y flags).

Someone needed to control things while they removed a car which was in too dangerous a position to be left so they ask for a B/Y.

Several posts have someone with a radio listening to the Race Control channel so know what is going on (or off or on again but that is a different story ).

B/Y goes out at a post and then the next post as the leaders reach them. So far so good. At the next post however the marshals see the cars bunched up and going slowly and wave to the leaders on their "slowing down lap".

Well it amused us no end. Points I'm making include the advantage of knowing what RC is trying to do and as a back up for the blue flag marshal also having to always be looking at the previous post as well as the cars.

The tail enders were not closing up on the leaders at all quickly. The red flag was hung out, I guess when RC had worked out 3/4 of 15 minutes and they could declare a result.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 8 Jun 2003 at 15:02.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 18:08 (Ref:624793)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Is that a Black and Yellow flag or are you just pleased to see me?

Quote:
Originally posted by JimW
B/Y goes out at a post and then the next post as the leaders reach them. So far so good. At the next post however the marshals see the cars bunched up and going slowly and wave to the leaders on their "slowing down lap".
Sounds like they didn't even have a watch between them!

Quote:
The red flag was hung out, I guess when RC had worked out 3/4 of 15 minutes and they could declare a result.
...or when they had worked out whether the time display they were using showed time elapsed or time remaining!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 20:25 (Ref:624933)   #3
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this the formula ford 1600 post 86 race at Oulton on Saturday you are talking about.

If so I was lying in second place when the B/L flags were thrown. I must admit it quite amusing looking back at it, if not a little confusing to say the least that at some of the posts we were being applauded while at others the flags were being waved.

Shame they decided to red flag it, I was already for a stab at the lead!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:11 (Ref:624989)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Was this the formula ford 1600 post 86 race at Oulton on Saturday you are talking about.
Could easily be.

Jim
(And I was being so polite.)
Old 9 Jun 2003, 20:40 (Ref:626422)   #5
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the marshals were just applauding the NW FF 1600 drivers who once again managed the Black & Yellow impeccably - unlike other categories & regions!
Old 9 Jun 2003, 21:38 (Ref:626493)   #6
brsccnw
Racer

Scotland
Culcheth
brsccnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with ref to the ff1600 race lats sturday the result could be stopped as long as the leader had completed 50% as per there regs.

we went for the Black and yellow but they did not come under comtrol as quick as i would have liked and if it had restared it would only have given them one lap maybe two under race conditions. so the decission was made to red flag the race something i dont like doing as it is unfare to the competitors.

as you say the FF1600 should be applauded for there knowledge and good use of the black and yellow.

it will be a shame to see the flag be redundant at the end of the season as it can be very usefull.......
Alistair Garrett
Old 9 Jun 2003, 21:44 (Ref:626506)   #7
brsccnw
Racer

Scotland
Culcheth
brsccnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Is that a Black and Yellow flag or are you just pleased to see me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
[B]Sounds like they didn't even have a watch between them!

...or when they had worked out whether the time display they were using showed time elapsed or time remaining!
the result could be declared after the leader had compled 50% of the race distance.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 19:05 (Ref:627448)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
the result could be declared after the leader had compled 50% of the race distance.
. . since it was a Nat B race rather than a Nat A one (J5.4 in case anyone else was wondering!)

That's the advantage of having a Clerk to give us the correct answer.

Jim