Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Jul 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3656098)   #151
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Great to hear you say so Scudd, us keyboard warriors hear and say a lot but its nice to hear from someone who is really invested in the sport!
But I've just worked out silver drivers are classed as unseeded, which is rubbish.

So AM class can have 1 platinum or gold, plus 1 or 2 silvers plus 1 bronze.

Plenty of silvers as fast as gold and platinum drivers. So AM class can beat a pro-am class entry. That's rubbish.

A 12 hour race shouldn't have 4 drivers allowed to race.

Spa 24hr pro class is only 3 drivers. Bathurst has 4. That's rubbish.

Spa 24hr AM class is one gun plus 3 bronze drivers, as it should be.
Old 1 Jul 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3656110)   #152
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudd View Post
A 12 hour race shouldn't have 4 drivers allowed to race.
Agreed
Old 4 Jul 2016, 12:54 (Ref:3656884)   #153
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did anyone find it odd that the B12hr promoter release a promotional video that doesn't promote the date or details of the 2017 event?

Additionally the event launch of entries and announcement of competition regulations was released last Friday afternoon - generally a time where people try to bury and hide news.

There may be good reason for this, (maybe Richard can shed light) however this did seem a little strange
Old 4 Jul 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3656900)   #154
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Additionally the event launch of entries and announcement of competition regulations was released last Friday afternoon - generally a time where people try to bury and hide news.
The friday afternoon the day before a Federal election of all things too

Would they have released details for a Supercar event they promote on a day like that too...?
Old 4 Jul 2016, 23:45 (Ref:3656989)   #155
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The friday afternoon the day before a Federal election of all things too....?
Some motor sport people seem immune to what is going on outside their orbit.
Though Supercars still seem willing to play politics if there is a chance of a subsidy.
Quite agree with scudd about only three drivers, but provision should be made for force majeur if one becomes disabled, sick or otherwise unable to continue.
Roll in the entries.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 00:28 (Ref:3656992)   #156
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Did anyone find it odd that the B12hr promoter release a promotional video that doesn't promote the date or details of the 2017 event?

There may be good reason for this, (maybe Richard can shed light) however this did seem a little strange
you mean 1 July the day the announcement has been made for the last 3 years now. the day i mentioned on the 24 June, Yes probably a big conspiracy
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:04 (Ref:3656995)   #157
D.R.T.
Veteran

Wasn't 1st July 2015 a Wednesday? I am not suggesting the date is the concern - its the timing of a media release in order to get the greatest traction in the media.

Would you concur that late on a Friday afternoon isn't a time to get good coverage for a major announcement.

Any feedback on why the lack of an event date in the 2017 promotional video Pecky?

Last edited by D.R.T.; 5 Jul 2016 at 01:17.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:10 (Ref:3656998)   #158
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Wasn't 1st July 2015 a Wednesday? I am not suggesting the date is the concern - its the timing of a media release in order to get the greatest traction in the media.

Any feedback on why the lack of an event date in the 2017 promotional video Pecky?
It was, but still first of July. Remember there was no election on in england or other ocountries. Massive amount of motorport info happens on a Friday or even the weekend, its the sport we were in.

No answer on the date in promo though, I didnt notice it missing when i looked.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:25 (Ref:3656999)   #159
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
It was, but still first of July. Remember there was no election on in england or other ocountries. Massive amount of motorport info happens on a Friday or even the weekend, its the sport we were in.
Keen to see when V8SC has launched one of their events at 4pm on Friday afternoon
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:29 (Ref:3657000)   #160
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Keen to see when V8SC has launched one of their events at 4pm on Friday afternoon
They havent, just like they havent launched the 12 hour at 4pm on a friday, promo was released on a Wednesday 29 June

Entries however opened on the 1st of july as per previous years,
Old 5 Jul 2016, 01:39 (Ref:3657001)   #161
D.R.T.
Veteran

To avoid any confusion - I am referring to the Event press release and announcement being dropped at 4pm on a Friday.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 02:21 (Ref:3657003)   #162
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
To avoid any confusion - I am referring to the Event press release and announcement being dropped at 4pm on a Friday.
yes, your talking about the announcement that entries are open being announced on the same date that entries have opened for the last 3 years. The 3rd announcment for the week

Will the announcement somehow disappear from the internet.

I noticed Scudd had no problems finding it.

The week before i talked on here about that being the date, Im really not sure what the issue is!

apart from someone trying to create a conspiracy theory
Old 5 Jul 2016, 07:36 (Ref:3657028)   #163
D.R.T.
Veteran

I think you have missed the intended point of the post. No need to keep playing the date vs day game

No conspiracy theory - as stated in the original point there probably is a legit reason for the timing however it should be noted that it goes against every major marketing/promotion principle.
Old 7 Jul 2016, 04:28 (Ref:3657423)   #164
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recognize there is a lot of aspects to debate and discuss, but the event still has magic. We just booked our airplane tickets to visit the event from the US for the 2017 race. Really looking forward to the experience. Also looking forward to seeing a great grid of a lot of new GT3 cars. Hope to see some of you there. Cheers!
Old 7 Jul 2016, 11:07 (Ref:3657470)   #165
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin993 View Post
I recognize there is a lot of aspects to debate and discuss, but the event still has magic. We just booked our airplane tickets to visit the event from the US for the 2017 race. Really looking forward to the experience. Also looking forward to seeing a great grid of a lot of new GT3 cars. Hope to see some of you there. Cheers!
hey, congrats on making the trip, im confident you will have awesome fun.

The mountain is magic no matter how much debate there is, Ive been going for 30 years and its still amazing

Are you doing an organised trip or planning your own trip?
quite a few people on here who will be happy to share tips if you need any
Old 7 Jul 2016, 11:43 (Ref:3657471)   #166
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It was purely a circumstance of timing: Regs were distributed to teams the moment they were approved by CAMS, which turned out to be that Friday evening. The release had to go out at the same time as the regs.. It's simple as that. Also timing wasn't as horrible as you'd think: people (read: Teams / drivers) woke up to the news in Europe / UK etc..

Last edited by Richard Craill; 7 Jul 2016 at 11:49.
Old 7 Jul 2016, 11:47 (Ref:3657472)   #167
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
The friday afternoon the day before a Federal election of all things too

Would they have released details for a Supercar event they promote on a day like that too...?
If motorsport waited for 'appropriate' times to release news that didn't clash with anything else going on in the world, news would never be released. If we waited for the election to be over, it still wouldn't be out!!

As for the continued conspiracy theories that Supercars are out to harm an event they own and promote... really.. the world needs to move on..
Old 7 Jul 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3657499)   #168
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
As for the continued conspiracy theories that Supercars are out to harm an event they own and promote... really.. the world needs to move on..
I didn't say there was a conspiracy theory. I merely asked a question that hasn't been answered..
Old 7 Jul 2016, 14:55 (Ref:3657509)   #169
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I didn't say there was a conspiracy theory. I merely asked a question that hasn't been answered..
"Begging the question" is a form of logical fallacy in which a statement or claim is assumed to be true without evidence other than the statement or claim itself.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3657592)   #170
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
That wasn't aimed at you (or anyone in particular). Just a comment about the fact that attitude still exists, frustratingly.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 02:11 (Ref:3657597)   #171
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks much - we're doing our own trip. The biggest thing that would be helpful is to get advice on physically getting around the track itself. Viewing places, parts that are inaccessible, barriers that might prevent you from walking the perimeter, how much time it takes to get from point to point, photo locations, etc. I recognize that one doesn't bounce back and forth from the paddock to the top of the mountain, but don't have a great handle on the landscape. We'll be there for all of practice and qualifying, so we'll have the full three days to poke around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
hey, congrats on making the trip, im confident you will have awesome fun.

The mountain is magic no matter how much debate there is, Ive been going for 30 years and its still amazing

Are you doing an organised trip or planning your own trip?
quite a few people on here who will be happy to share tips if you need any
Old 8 Jul 2016, 05:01 (Ref:3657606)   #172
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
It was purely a circumstance of timing: Regs were distributed to teams the moment they were approved by CAMS, which turned out to be that Friday evening. The release had to go out at the same time as the regs.. It's simple as that. Also timing wasn't as horrible as you'd think: people (read: Teams / drivers) woke up to the news in Europe / UK etc..
Thanks Richard. No conspiracy but without further detail it did leave a few questions/

Hopefully in the future the alignment of timelines of CAMS approval, participant and public communication can be more aligned to best promote the event and news related items.

Quote:
If motorsport waited for 'appropriate' times to release news that didn't clash with anything else going on in the world, news would never be released. If we waited for the election to be over, it still wouldn't be out!!
Whilst true - I am sure you would agree as a PR professional there are more appropriate times to release news items than others. And where possible - avoiding 4pm Friday afternoon is preferred.

I guess the only other question was to do with the 2017 promo video that didnt provide any reference to the event date?

Last edited by D.R.T.; 8 Jul 2016 at 05:09.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3657609)   #173
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Whilst true - I am sure you would agree as a PR professional there are more appropriate times to release news items than others. And where possible - avoiding 4pm Friday afternoon is preferred.
In whose timezone? Is this an international event or not? How many "inconvenient" times are there we have to check for for all the various entrants?

Just a non-issue. The people who wanted the information got it right away. I can well imagine if they waiting for Monday morning Australian time then its in the middle of the night Sunday for Europe, so then we hear a conspiracy theory that the organisers are trying to bury the race from international entrants....
Old 8 Jul 2016, 05:39 (Ref:3657611)   #174
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
In whose timezone? Is this an international event or not? How many "inconvenient" times are there we have to check for for all the various entrants?
The main target market of the event which is Australia. That timezone.

The day the event is majority aimed at International competitors, media, drivers and fans is when the above comment has relevance.

Quote:
Just a non-issue. The people who wanted the information got it right away.

I can well imagine if they waiting for Monday morning Australian time then its in the middle of the night Sunday for Europe, so then we hear a conspiracy theory that the organisers are trying to bury the race from international entrants...
A great way to try and promote an event. Make it based on assumptions
Old 8 Jul 2016, 05:57 (Ref:3657613)   #175
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that Supercars are in charge I wonder if they are going to put supp regs etc on the web site or not? Entries have opened but there are no regs on the site, maybe they are not as transparent as the previous promoters